Ignorant Boaters...........

Deepinvet

Featured Posts

And how is your water feeling today?

Mornin' Dave. It's peeing down in Swindon this morning so not quite so optimistic. Talking of which, if I can't get this bridge open soon I'm going to have to get the self pump out kit out.

All together now:

"There's a hole in my bucket, my bucket,my bucket.

There's a hole in my bucket, dear Phylis, a hole...."

Why is it the majority of fishermen are at best ignorant and worst damn rude? Now being a mere shareholder in an ex Ownership boat I only manage three to four weeks a year but I never cease to be amazed at the way in which fishermen conduct themselves. They even seen to indoctrinate their manner on to their young children.

How on earth are you upsetting them that much? I don't find fishermen to be like that at all

Richard

I have read this thread through my lunch today and have noticed (smiling to myself) that throughout the forum, mostly anyway, it consists of the same males all aggressively trying to put down the females, what few there are of them.

What is making you all so frustrated I wonder???

To go back to the OP points, I returned to the UK after living overseas for 7 years. I have observed that the general mood of the public has become a lot more sobre, tense and possibly in some cases, really quite impatient and angry. I've noticed it more and more in the 2 years since returning. Not so much in my own daily working life but certainly in public places generally where conflict seems to arise over the smallest things.

I wonder if it's because of the current economic climate and just the general transitional uncertainty globally?

I haven't experienced any unpleasant behaviour out on the waterways myself, I've found everyone to be nothing less than friendly. However I have seen the poor old lock keepers having to deal with some unpleasant characters.

I have read this thread through my lunch today and have noticed (smiling to myself) that throughout the forum, mostly anyway, it consists of the same males all aggressively trying to put down the females, what few there are of them.

No it doesn't.

This particular thread consists of one particular poster making a claim that couldn't be substantiated, then claiming that there was evidence to back up the claim, then making excuses for not doing so, then going very quiet indeed about it.

It is notable that in another thread, you have muddied the water with a bit of a rant about race, and now you seem to want to stir it on a sexism angle.

Yes, Phylis is (so far as I am aware) female, but that isn't even remotely relevant. Gender isn't part of the dynamic in the conversation, and at no point has anybody "aggressively" put down anybody on the basis that they are female.

If Phylis feels that this thread has been an aggressive put down attempt just because she's a woman, then she only needs to say so, and I'll pop a bunch of flowers round, and apologise in person. I rather suspect that as an honorary bloke, she'd prefer a crate of something alcoholic.

As to you, please don't imagine that anybody is putting you down because you are (or claim to be - we can't tell can we) female. People are taking issue with you, because you are displaying troll-like tendencies, and appear to be here just to stir trouble.

I think that maybe you need to know phylis...............she can dish it better than anyone and should she feel like it is perfectly capable of defending herself.

Women.

No it doesn't.

This particular thread consists of one particular poster making a claim that couldn't be substantiated, then claiming that there was evidence to back up the claim, then making excuses for not doing so, then going very quiet indeed about it.

It is notable that in another thread, you have muddied the water with a bit of a rant about race, and now you seem to want to stir it on a sexism angle.

Yes, Phylis is (so far as I am aware) female, but that isn't even remotely relevant. Gender isn't part of the dynamic in the conversation, and at no point has anybody "aggressively" put down anybody on the basis that they are female.

If Phylis feels that this thread has been an aggressive put down attempt just because she's a woman, then she only needs to say so, and I'll pop a bunch of flowers round, and apologise in person. I rather suspect that as an honorary bloke, she'd prefer a crate of something alcoholic.

As to you, please don't imagine that anybody is putting you down because you are (or claim to be - we can't tell can we) female. People are taking issue with you, because you are displaying troll-like tendencies, and appear to be here just to stir trouble.

That last paragraph sounds like you describing yourself Mr Mayall. ( sitting here waiting excitedly for my roving permit) ;-)

No it doesn't.

the thing is,nina,mr mayall is a sterling chap,but you forgot to inform him as to whether you wanted the 5 minute argument,or the full half hour!

the thing is,nina,mr mayall is a sterling chap,but you forgot to inform him as to whether you wanted the 5 minute argument,or the full half hour!

Neither really. Sorry if that breaks his little heart but I spent 10 years living in Australia where as a small female I got more than used to dealing with male dominance. It gets quite boring in the end to be honest. No mental challenge :-)

There was a suggestion a while ago that women were passing something in their water that wasn't being filtered out.

Maybe that is the cause of the problem.

Could be all the men are gradually becoming more and more menopausal!

Snip I rather suspect that as an honorary bloke, she'd prefer a crate of something alcoholic.

snip

As a female, (Non honorary bloke) I take some small offence at that comment. If you offered me a choice of flowers or alcohol I would choose the alcohol and I suspect most of my female friends would do so also... Are we all blokes???

As a female, (Non honorary bloke) I take some small offence at that comment. If you offered me a choice of flowers or alcohol I would choose the alcohol and I suspect most of my female friends would do so also... Are we all blokes???

Anthophobic?

It was said light heartedly, without wishing to cause any offence, and I apologise if it caused any, however small.

I have you down as an honorary bloke on my list Bagpuss

Richard

Oh great! Another "I have my own agenda and will pretend posts to the contrary do not exist".

Come back ymu, again.

THERE HAS BEEN NO SEXISM, PHYLIS' GENDER HAS NO RELEVANCE, SHE HAS CROWED AND GLOATED IN A PATRONISING MANNER BASED UPON AN ACE UP HER SLEEVE WHICH SHE HAS FAILED TO PRODUCE AND HAS GONE INTO HIDING RATHER THAN ADMIT SHE DOES NOT HAVE THAT ACE.

WE would, and have, tear into anyone who behaves in a similar manner regardless of gender. Check out the Aussi electrical guru who knows more than anyone else and was grossly insulting and patronising all around and how he was nailed to the wall over his frequent laughable assertions purely because of his attitude.

They can't help it. They disagree with any women with opinions, but it is only a few of them, the rest keep very quiet

Sue

Utter tosh...

So if men disagree with a man who has opinions it's a disagreement/debate/discussion, if men disagree with a woman who has opinions it's sexism...

Bollocks...

Edited by MJG

Anthophobic?

I suspect you meant to write "anthrophobic", though the word you wanted was misanthrope.

Utter tosh...

So if men disagree with a man who has opinions it's a disagreement/debate/discussion, if men disagree with a woman who has opinions it's sexism...

Bollocks...

It's a sad fact that the normal approach on this forum is to be rude. To my shame, I have adopted the same modus operandi. When in Rome, and all that.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all behave like the pleasant people that we normally are?

I have resolved to be polite to all in future. To lead, and not follow.

But I don't know how long this good resolution will last. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all behave like the pleasant people that we normally are?

Given we have never met how do you know I'm not a rude and unpleasant git in real life?? :P

Utter tosh...

Bollocks...

I think it's the manner in which it's debated. There appears to be a tendency to be bullish towards the girls. I just wonder why? I know in Australia it's often a case of women being barred from certain men's domains, but I remembered it to be a lot more chivalrous in the UK generally.

The men seem grumpier. I just wondered why? The sexism issue isn't my forte. When you have lived with the male race in Oz, you tend to either forgive most of it (because it's their issue much more than it is yours) or you just square up to them and fight back in which case they get a shock.

The men seem grumpier. I just wondered why? The sexism issue isn't my forte. When you have lived with the male race in Oz, you tend to either forgive most of it (because it's their issue much more than it is yours) or you just square up to them and fight back in which case they get a shock.

Change the gender specific nouns and you will find that is a good description of our reaction to you.