Bicycle Theif on K&A

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Some years ago my son noticed that someone had broken into our boat which was at the bottom of the garden. More importantly the thief was still in there. I promptly dialled 999 and, at the same time let Tess, my German Shepherd, out. I arrived at the boat to find the guy half in ,and half out, of the broken window with the dog attached to his crotch. Two policeman arrived shortly after and began to deal with the uninvited guest. I held on to the dog who looked extremely proud of herself.To my astonishment they didn't arrest the guy, preferring to let him go and chase a motorist who went past the house with an overloaded trailer instead. I still regret calling Tess off to this day. The police did return the next day though... to tell me to keep the dog under control. :banghead:

That cant be true!.........surely.

I would have thought you would have some redress against the Police if it is

If no one is prepared to press charges it is unlikely. Why do people contact the police if they aren't prepared to give evidence? It is just a waste of time.

Sue

Why don't you read the original post, before launching in with your reactionary comments. My friend saw his stolen bike on the boat and contacted the Police, who retrieved it for him. For him that was the outcome he wished to achieve. My friend is a mild mannered person not given to confrontation. Not everyone is like your husband prepared to wade in, fists flying.

The issue regarding the shotgun is nothing to do with my friend, except that he witnessed the Police Officer finding it and asking to see the licemce, something which I now wish I had never mentioned.

Apperantly there's a boat moored between Bradford on Avon and Hilperton, with police tape around it. I will check it out tomorrow.

I went for a walk along the K&A today towards Avoncliffe, The boat on which my friend's bike was found was not where it was last week, so it could be the same one.

Edited by David Schweizer

Why don't you read the original post, before launching in with your reactionary comments. My friend saw his stolen bike on the boat and contacted the Police, who retrieved it for him. For him that was the outcome he wished to achieve. My friend is a mild mannered person not given to confrontation. Not everyone is like your husband prepared to wade in, fists flying.

So he used the Police as a property recovery service? Well done him.

Knowing full well the filth wont charge the perp because as we all know, without a witness the Crown (avoid)Prosecution Service wont agree to charge as its not cost effective.

and for all those of you claiming he will be banged away for his shotgun, if his nose is clean all hes looking at is an unlicenced shotgun. no big deal for which...if the CPS decide to charge he will probably end up with a ban for life for owning a shotgun. big deal......now maybe if davids mate had been prepared to put pen to paper the outcome wouldve been a bit more satisfying.

I know the old bill dont always get it right but sometime folks we really do need to stand up and be counted

• Greenie 2

That cant be true!.........surely.

I would have thought you would have some redress against the Police if it is

Absolutely true, after complaining to the regional police headquarters a SOCO was sent to dust for fingerprints but nothing further was done. The police just couldn't be bothered apparently as the intruder had nothing on him and claimed he was just looking for somewhere to sleep. A couple of months later my workshop was raided and a couple of thousand pounds worth of tools and equipment was taken. The loss adjuster came before the police!So much for protecting the community.

[quote name='saltysplash' timestamp='1311218106'

and for all those of you claiming he will be banged away for his shotgun, if his nose is clean all hes looking at is an unlicenced shotgun. no big deal for which...if the CPS decide to charge he will probably end up with a ban for life for owning a shotgun. big deal......now maybe if davids mate had been prepared to put pen to paper the outcome wouldve been a bit more satisfying.

I know the old bill dont always get it right but sometime folks we really do need to stand up and be counted

Total agreement with the salty splash

If the police decided to arrest him

If the police think they should charge him

If the crown prosecution decided to procedure

After all these measures the case gos to court

How many of us really think he get community service

Conditional discharge?

Is some arse hole that can rob,rape and knife someone and just get 2 years

What's then point??

And now will be getting parole so will be out in just over 12 months, earlier if he wears a tag.

Col

Edited by bigcol

Whilst I can understand your friends reticence, and wish not to get involved, that isn't how it works.

The police are not simply a property recovery operation. Either a crime has been committed or it has not.

Whilst I can understand your friends reticence, and wish not to get involved, that isn't how it works.

The police are not simply a property recovery operation. Either a crime has been committed or it has not.

I'm don't know if this is true

But I'm sure that yes the victim would be asked if they would like to press charges

But the police can also arrest and charge on their own merit?

Surely this must be right,other wise were all doomed!!!

Col

Unfortunately reporting theft to the Police is a very grey area. In a very high percentage of cases it is simply about getting a crime number for insurance purposes. Last year in London over 20,000 bike thefts were reported to the police.

As for David's friend you might not think "that is how it works" in this case it does not, he has his own reasons for why he does not wish to proceed and we should respect his decision as we do not know the full facts.

My wife’s experience on UK waterways is a mere week (I can treble that!) but in that time we were robbed. Coincidentally it was in Bath. We were moored just below the weir next to the rugby ground when a hopeless alcoholic just released from prison kicked the stern door of our hire boat in and helped himself to beers from the fridge, some cds, cell phone and knives from the pantry, leaving his half bottle of vodka and half eaten chicken dinner on the roof.

He was however observed by the other couple hiring the boat with us, who confronted him as he left to only to be threatened using knives taken from the boat. A group of fishermen tackled the robber, the Bath police attended promptly and then professionally secured evidence and statements. Three days later as we were transiting Bath on our return from Bristol the local radio station was reporting the news of fishermen rescuing boaters, second only to Michael Jackson’s demise.

The aftermath;

The Bath police with filed complaints and good witness support secured a four and a half year imprisonment term for the offender.

My wife liked narrowboating so much are now intent on purchasing a boat early 2013 to travel each year from New Zealand to spend six months aboard to ditchcrawl around England.

The purpose of this post, our experience was that the UK police did a great job but crucially they needed and received great community assistance.

Cheers Don

• Greenie 1

Unfortunately reporting theft to the Police is a very grey area. In a very high percentage of cases it is simply about getting a crime number for insurance purposes. Last year in London over 20,000 bike thefts were reported to the police.

As for David's friend you might not think "that is how it works" in this case it does not, he has his own reasons for why he does not wish to proceed and we should respect his decision as we do not know the full facts.

I can't respect his decision, because I don't believe that it is a decision that he should be allowed to make.

If you choose to involve the police with a theft, and once the stolen property is recovered, you choose not to co-operate in seeing the matter through, it is my view that you are wasting police time.

My own local force (GMP) now habitually ask "If somebody is apprehended for this offence, would you be prepared to testify in court"

• Greenie 1

If you choose to involve the police with a theft,

And who said he "chose" to involve the police?

If you've got the stolen property insured you're forced, by the insurance company requiring a crime number, to involve them.

Taken even further into the ridiculous if you want to report, and ask for help finding, your lost narrowboat on here you need said crime number first!!!

And who said he "chose" to involve the police?

If you've got the stolen property insured you're forced, by the insurance company requiring a crime number, to involve them.

So, he chose to involve the police.

If people don't want to involve the police, they don't have to. The insurance company just won't pay out.

Bluntly;

If your stuff is nicked, and you want it back or want it replaced, you have a duty to your insurer to minimise their potential liability, and you have no right to have the police running round looking for something unless it is missing as a result of a crime.

If people don't want to involve the police, they don't have to. The insurance company just won't pay out.

Bluntly;

If your stuff is nicked, and you want it back or want it replaced, you have a duty to your insurer to minimise their potential liability, and you have no right to have the police running round looking for something unless it is missing as a result of a crime.

I don't chooose to pay taxes, even the unemployed have to, we are forced to do it, just like getting a crime number.

Involving the police is the insurance companies attempt at proving the item/items were in fact stolen, the item/items being recovered are incidental to the matter.

and you have no right to have the police running round looking for something unless it is missing as a result of a crime.

Last I heard the loss of property, due to the unsolicited actions of others, was a crime.

and you have no right to have the police running round

Which is why in a lot of cases it takes them hours/days/if ever to turn up!

Bluntly;

Let's play a little game Dave, I will post the outline of an event which may have implications for other boaters. You then invent a whole raft of circumstances to embelish the outline, and proceed to massage your ego by contesting the invented scenario, and in the process demonstrate how clever and knowledgeable you are about the Law and everything else.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

Let's play a little game Dave, I will post the outline of an event which may have implications for other boaters. You then invent a whole raft of circumstances to embelish the outline, and proceed to massage your ego by contesting the invented scenario, and in the process demonstrate how clever and knowledgeable you are about the Law and everything else.

Hey, steady on. Phylis is doing that job at the moment

Richard

Oh! I think there is queue for that job.

And a steady turnover of those that couldn't cut it.

Ah but Phylis does it for fun, Dave does it because he knows thinks he is always right.

I simply state my opinion that the job of the police is to apprehend criminals for their criminal actions, not simply to collect the stuff they nick, and let them go again.

• Greenie 1

I simply state my opinion that the job of the police is to apprehend criminals for their criminal actions, not simply to collect the stuff they nick, and let them go again.

Your opinion is a very old fashioned and rather sweet , just ask the people who had phones hacked by NOTW.

When my boat was broken into the police gave me a crime number but also made it quite clear that they would not be visiting the boat as it was a very minor crime and not worth there time.

An opinion which is not entirely shared by the 1996 Independant enquiry into ther Role and responsibilities of the Police. Some light reading:- http://www.psi.org.uk/publications/archivepdfs/Role%20pol/INDPOL-0.P.pdf

An opinion which is not entirely shared by the 1996 Independant enquiry into ther Role and responsibilities of the Police. Some light reading:- http://www.psi.org.u.../INDPOL-0.P.pdf

The purpose of the police service is to uphold the law fairly

and firmly; to prevent crime; to pursue and bring to justice

those who break the law; to keep the Queen’s peace; to

protect, help and reassure the community; and to be seen to

do this with integrity, common sense and sound judgement.

I don't see recovering property for people who aren't prepared to maintain an allegation of criminality once their property is returned in there