Illegal fishing

Featured Posts

Not 100% but as a kid we used to keep to the season & needed to get the rod licence each year just before the season started.

(never did get asked for it mind)

Also not 100% but dont know of any law about putting them back.

If you read the smallprint at the bottom of the letter you receive with your rod licence, it states that you are only allowed to take home 1 fish per day.....I believe this was added to cater for our Eastern European friends.

If you read the smallprint at the bottom of the letter you receive with your rod licence, it states that you are only allowed to take home 1 fish per day.....I believe this was added to cater for our Eastern European friends.

I believe that even that limit is only if the owner of the water allows it.

Whilst the EA has a right to regulate fishing activities, it cannot override the rights of the owner of the fish to prohibit the removal of his property,

I believe this was added to cater for our Eastern European friends.

Really?

When I was a lad the licence clearly stated numbers and minimum sizes of fish you could take home with you.

This was, I understood, to cater for the anglers who used livebait and specimen hunters who, way back then, took their bigger catches to the local taxidermist, and then sat it on the mantlepiece.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On stillwaters, including the canals, you can only take fish (up to the number stipulated on the licence) with the permission of the landowner or owner of the fishing rights.

I'm assuming that BW or the angling clubs who lease the rights, haven't given permission then they are thieves, whatever their nationality.

if you are interested the following link tells where and what fish you can take.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/119393.aspx

Fisherfolk come from all over the country to fish for pike at Chapel Hill, and while most of them follow the rules there are always a few that need to go and sit on the norty step. A week after the end of season this year there was a group of ENGLISH lads that were fishing, killing and taking fish from under the bridge. After politely telling them for 3 days on the trot that the season had ended (One of them actually said to me 'what season?' :banghead: )my temper got the better of me and I started photographing them and threatening to call the EA and police. Didn't see them again though so hopefully they got the hint! This week another boater on our moorings has removed an eel trap that someone had tied to his boat! :angry: