Need advice from Plods

Picard

Featured Posts

Now I am baffled - so why didn't you just say that in the first place? There was no need to be obtuse.

Simple because I assumed when I said -

No idea -

Why not ask a Police Officer....

Highlighting the preferred term in red the OP would take the hint, along with me jokingly later calling you a 'Bean-counter' (which I understand is a derogatory term for an accountant, or it was where I worked - shortly after though the CWDF Mafia piled in and I was dead meat...)

Edited by MJG

Simple because I assumed when I said -

Highlighting the preferred term in red the OP would take the hint, along with me jokingly later calling you a 'Bean-counter' (which I understand is a derogatory term for an accountant, or it was where I worked - shortly after though the CWDF Mafia piled in and I was dead meat...)

Please don't paint yourself as a victim - that's ridiculous! The CWDF mafia didn't pile in - your stance was ridiculous and that was recognised by all the CWDF members that posted - a very big difference! I'm tired of repeating myself so I'll just say this once more - your point shouldn't have been made in your third post and then clarified in your fourth - it should have been made in your first post if the object was to assist the OP rather than score points off him.

ETA I'm going to bed now - good night

Edited by Ange

Please don't paint yourself as a victim - that's ridiculous! The CWDF mafia didn't pile in - your stance was ridiculous and that was recognised by all the CWDF members that posted - a very big difference! I'm tired of repeating myself so I'll just say this once more - your point shouldn't have been made in your third post and then clarified in your fourth - it should have been made in your first post if the object was to assist the OP rather than score points off him.

Ange – we've had this sort of debate before but I am I'm really baffled as to why you feel the need to challenge me all the time in regard to posts I make on here.

There is a team of moderators who do a damn fine job, so why do you feel the need to keep trying to moderate my posts?

My position is on this thread is well articulated and explained – but I'll repeat it, I think Picard will potentially have got a better response to his question if he had not used such a derogatory term to refer to police officers.

Ange – we've had this sort of debate before but I am I'm really baffled as to why you feel the need to challenge me all the time in regard to posts I make on here.

There is a team of moderators who do a damn fine job, so why do you feel the need to keep trying to moderate my posts?

My position is on this thread is well articulated and explained – but I'll repeat it, I think Picard will potentially have got a better response to his question if he had not used such a derogatory term to refer to police officers.

Damn - I was going to bed but feel I need to respond to this! I'm not moderating your posts - I'm discussing them on a discussion forum!! Why do you take it so personally when I disagree with you??? I challenge you when I think you are wrong - that's not moderating, that's being an active member of a discussion forum.

Damn - I was going to bed but feel I need to respond to this! I'm not moderating your posts - I'm discussing them on a discussion forum!! Why do you take it so personally when I disagree with you??? I challenge you when I think you are wrong - that's not moderating, that's being an active member of a discussion forum.

OK so why not discuss and respond to the point I am making then?

PS my internet connection is better than your internet connection... :P

Edited by MJG

OK soo why not discuss and respond to the point I am making then?

OK I have no problem being called a beancounter - in fact I often jokingly refer to myself as one. I'm sure policemen recognise plod as an affectionate term rather than a derogatory one. Let's wait for serving or ex-policemen to comment as they know best.

I'm going to bed now - good night.

Morning ! What a thread !

Ok, ex Plod here ...... I take no offence to that term, and it is a term that Police use to describe police ! Ministry of Defence Police are simply known as MOD PLOD for example.

No 'specific' legislation relating to Samarai Swords, they would like other articles fall under sec 139 Criminal Justice Act or indeed Sec 1 Prevention of Crime Act , if used or carried in a public place . A boat is not a public place, so you would not be committing an offence to have them displayed within the boat.

Some good advice so far from posters; make sure your boat is well secured at all times, and that the swords are themselves well secured , preventing accidents or easy removal.

Suffice to say, when transporting these items to your boat, have them well packaged and out of sight.

Ian

• Greenie 1

I have no idea why people have a problem with your question!

anyway, as far as I can see, (not Plod) the question should be 'are your swords illegal' apperently, single edged curved samurai were banned in the UK in 2008, so yes, they would be illegal everywhere. but, straight edged swords or collectors swords can be owned legally. I guess it would be down to you to secure them and not hit anyone with them!

this is from a google search, I don't have swords and am not a police officer.

I mooring pin can be used as a weapon yet remain legal. A kitchen knief becomes illegal on the street ETC ETC.

Good luck and don't stop posting...

To add: Plod

Hi All

Ok leave him alone Plod isnt the worst thing I have ever been called. Right basically Yes a mooring pin CAN be used as a weapon as could nearly any conceivable thing. The difference is that a Samurai sword is an offensive weapon Perse, in other words Always. You can display them ( God knows why ) but if carried without easy access to them in the street to the boat then you can. What I would say is how secure can you make them on a narrowboat ? If they are real swords and not tourist ones then they can be a horrendous form of weapon.

An allusion to Mr Plod the Policeman in Enid Blyton's Noddy stories for children. :rolleyes:

Edited by mrsmelly

snapback.pngMJG, on 17 July 2011 - 12:13 AM, said:

Are you a serving or ex police officer?

Neither

This guy is though. wink.gif

Posted Today, 08:35 AM

Morning ! What a thread !

Ok, ex Plod here ...... I take no offence to that term, and it is a term that Police use to describe police ! Ministry of Defence Police are simply known as MOD PLOD for example.

No 'specific' legislation relating to Samarai Swords, they would like other articles fall under sec 139 Criminal Justice Act or indeed Sec 1 Prevention of Crime Act , if used or carried in a public place . A boat is not a public place, so you would not be committing an offence to have them displayed within the boat.

Some good advice so far from posters; make sure your boat is well secured at all times, and that the swords are themselves well secured , preventing accidents or easy removal.

Suffice to say, when transporting these items to your boat, have them well packaged and out of sight.

Ian

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Julynian

Guest wanted

It would appear that the Plod are happy with Plod (next week we will debunk the myths and stigma attached to nursey!)

If the OP is still with us, it would appear that anything that you own is alright just don't sell it, buy more or use them in anger. :cheers:

Taken from the http://www.ukbladesforum.co.uk

Knives and the UK Law

Swords and the Law

Re: Criminal Justice Act 1988 - Amendment order 2008

Addition of some swords to the Offensive Weapons Order list of prohibited items

As of the 6th April 2008 the Government introduced an amendment to the Criminal Justice Act 1988 which saw the addition of some Swords to the Offensive Weapons Order list. This is a list of items prohibited for sale, import, trade of transfer within the UK.

Please see below for a guide to how this legislation affects you.

Q: Are all swords now illegal?

A: No. the new legislation only covers some swords with a curved blade over 50cm.

Q: Is it just Samurai Swords that are now banned?

A: No. ANY sword with a curved blade over 50cm is now banned from sale, import, trade or transfer. This includes Persian Talwars, Military Cavalry swords, some Fantasy swords and many other types of sword unless specifically exempted - see below.

Q: Do I have to surrender my Samurai Sword I have at home?

A: No. Ownership of all swords is perfectly legal so you can keep any sword you have already in your possession. You cannot sell it or give it away.

Q: Are all Samurai Swords now banned?

A: Under UK legislation, no. The law only affects some swords over 50cm so although Katana swords are now banned (unless covered by the list of exemptions), most Wakizashi and Tanto swords have blades under 50cm so are unaffected by this legislation

Q: Are straight bladed swords affected?

A: No. The new legislation only covers curved bladed swords - straight bladed swords are totally unaffected by this legislation. The Home Office have indicated that there may be an extension of the legislation to cover all swords by October 2008 but as yet this is undecided.

Q: How is the blade length measured?

A: The legislation covers all swords over 50cm. The measurement is to be taken from the tip of the blade to the top of the handle (where the blade meets the handle) in a straight line NOT following the curve of the blade.

Q; Are there any exemptions?

A: Yes. There are several exemptions to the sword ban - These exemptions are:

•Members of historical re-enactment groups which hold a Public Liability Certificate.

•Members of a Martial Arts club which hold a Public Liability Certificate.

•Use for authorized Theatrical / film use.

•All Swords over 100 years old.

•Samurai Swords made before 1954.

•Samurai Swords made in Japan at any time using the traditional forging technique.

As of 1st August 2008 a 2nd amendment was made to this legislation adding the following exemptions:

•Where only swords made using ‘the traditional technique’ in Japan were exempt, this has now been widened to cover swords made anywhere in the world “according to traditional methods of making swords by hand”

•Also, it is now permitted to import / make / buy a sword for the “purpose only of making the weapon available for the purposes of use in religious ceremonies”.

Q: Can you bequeath a Sword to someone in your will?

A: Yes, you can legally receive a sword covered under this legislation if left to you in a will.

Q: I have a genuine WWII Officers sword - is this exempt from the ban?

A: No - ALL curved blades swords with a blade over 50cm are included in the ban unless covered by the listed exemptions (see above)

Q: Can I buy a traditionally hand forged sword from China?

A: Yes - Since 1st August 2008 swords made “according to traditional methods of making swords by hand” are now exempt from restriction relating to sale or import.

Q: Can I make myself a new sword for use in my own home?

A: Yes. So long as you are making the sword 'according to traditional methods of making swords by hand'. This is covered under the 2nd amendment which came into force on 1st August 2008. If you wish to make a sword using stock removal techniques or non-traditional methods this will not be allowable under current legislation.

Q: I have a sword which needs a new handle - can I replace the handle?

A: Yes - Manufacturing a new sword is prohibited but repairing / refurbishing an existing sword is allowable so long as it retains it's original dimensions.

Q: I am a sikh and want a large Talwar for ceremonial purposes - can I buy one?

A: Yes. There is now a specific exemption to this legislation allowing swords to be obtained / manufactured for use in religious ceremonies.

Q: I have a retail shop where I sell swords - can I no longer continue to do so?

A: Retailers and dealers can sell these swords so long as they can prove the swords not exempt from restriction are being sold to eligible buyers (covered by the exemptions) It is for the retailer to confirm the validity of the buyer through checking membership details of an appropriate club or association. Any retailer supplying a sword covered by the ban and not making these checks will be guilty of an offence and liable to prosecution. The exact mechanics of how this is to be done has not yet been confirmed by the Home Office.

Q: What are the penalties for breaking the new law?

A: Anyone convicted of breaking this new legislation will be liable to 6 months imprisonment, a fine not exceeding Level 5 on the standard scale (£5000) or both.

ETA - I wonder how the Jedi religion gets on with the light saber? :blink:

Edited by wanted

I wonder if my Axe, Machete, Bill Hook, and 15" African sword (ornamental) are legal LOL

I would say though if displaying these swords in your home was legal, then I can't see why a boat is any different.

I would have thought that was a logical answer.

I am curious because I have some WW2 combat knives that I would want aboard the boat when we live on it. I use them to clean my fingernails and open letters. Seriously they are treasures and I wouldn't want to part with them.

By the difference.

The word Nigger comes from the Latin word for black (niger) it was used by the colonial masters to describe slaves and throughout history to marginalize black people. the death, violence and hurt that that word has caused is massive, in fact there are not many words that have been reclaimed by the marginalized and used for themselves as Nigger has been.

Mr. Plod the policeman on the other hand was created in the 50s by a children's writer, this, as in the same way as kids who wore glasses got called Joe 90, led to the police being called plod.

As I say, incomparable.

Tell me about it. Except my name morphed into Joe 45 because I was vertically challenged (can't say "small" or "short" anymore.)

It would appear that the Plod are happy with Plod (next week we will debunk the myths and stigma attached to nursey!)

If the OP is still with us, it would appear that anything that you own is alright just don't sell it, buy more or use them in anger. :cheers:

Knives and the UK Law

Swords and the Law

As of the 6th April 2008 the Government introduced an amendment to the Criminal Justice Act 1988 which saw the addition of some Swords to the Offensive Weapons Order list. This is a list of items prohibited for sale, import, trade of transfer within the UK.

A: No. the new legislation only covers some swords with a curved blade over 50cm.

A: No. ANY sword with a curved blade over 50cm is now banned from sale, import, trade or transfer. This includes Persian Talwars, Military Cavalry swords, some Fantasy swords and many other types of sword unless specifically exempted - see below.

A: No. Ownership of all swords is perfectly legal so you can keep any sword you have already in your possession. You cannot sell it or give it away.

A: Under UK legislation, no. The law only affects some swords over 50cm so although Katana swords are now banned (unless covered by the list of exemptions), most Wakizashi and Tanto swords have blades under 50cm so are unaffected by this legislation

A: No. The new legislation only covers curved bladed swords - straight bladed swords are totally unaffected by this legislation. The Home Office have indicated that there may be an extension of the legislation to cover all swords by October 2008 but as yet this is undecided.

A: The legislation covers all swords over 50cm. The measurement is to be taken from the tip of the blade to the top of the handle (where the blade meets the handle) in a straight line NOT following the curve of the blade.

•Members of historical re-enactment groups which hold a Public Liability Certificate.

•Samurai Swords made in Japan at any time using the traditional forging technique.

As of 1st August 2008 a 2nd amendment was made to this legislation adding the following exemptions:

•Where only swords made using ‘the traditional technique’ in Japan were exempt, this has now been widened to cover swords made anywhere in the world “according to traditional methods of making swords by hand”

•Also, it is now permitted to import / make / buy a sword for the “purpose only of making the weapon available for the purposes of use in religious ceremonies”.

A: Yes, you can legally receive a sword covered under this legislation if left to you in a will.

A: No - ALL curved blades swords with a blade over 50cm are included in the ban unless covered by the listed exemptions (see above)

A: Yes - Since 1st August 2008 swords made “according to traditional methods of making swords by hand” are now exempt from restriction relating to sale or import.

A: Yes. So long as you are making the sword 'according to traditional methods of making swords by hand'. This is covered under the 2nd amendment which came into force on 1st August 2008. If you wish to make a sword using stock removal techniques or non-traditional methods this will not be allowable under current legislation.

A: Yes - Manufacturing a new sword is prohibited but repairing / refurbishing an existing sword is allowable so long as it retains it's original dimensions.

A: Yes. There is now a specific exemption to this legislation allowing swords to be obtained / manufactured for use in religious ceremonies.

Q: I have a retail shop where I sell swords - can I no longer continue to do so?

A: Retailers and dealers can sell these swords so long as they can prove the swords not exempt from restriction are being sold to eligible buyers (covered by the exemptions) It is for the retailer to confirm the validity of the buyer through checking membership details of an appropriate club or association. Any retailer supplying a sword covered by the ban and not making these checks will be guilty of an offence and liable to prosecution. The exact mechanics of how this is to be done has not yet been confirmed by the Home Office.

A: Anyone convicted of breaking this new legislation will be liable to 6 months imprisonment, a fine not exceeding Level 5 on the standard scale (£5000) or both.

Are we confident though that all that covers keeping them on a boat??

(Not a challenge Wanted - a genuine question in the interest of promoting discussion on the original subject for the avoidance of doubt)

Given this other thread that has just sprung up -

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39645&pid=719347&st=0entry719347

Can such items ever be adequately secured on a boat?

Guest wanted

I would have thought that was a logical answer.

I am curious because I have some WW2 combat knives that I would want aboard the boat when we live on it. I use them to clean my fingernails and open letters. Seriously they are treasures and I wouldn't want to part with them.

Tell me about it. Except my name morphed into Joe 45 because I was vertically challenged (can't say "small" or "short" anymore.)

Kids can be incredibly inventive and cruel can't they?

I remember when I was a kid blue peter had this guy on who I think had cerebral palsy his name was Joey Deacan. The idea was to address the stigma and stop kids calling each other spastic. It worked in part. The word spastic was replaced by Joey! Like water, kids will find the easiest route!

Are we confident though that all that covers keeping them on a boat??

(Not a challenge Wanted - a genuine question in the interest of promoting discussion on the original subject for the avoidance of doubt)

Given this other thread that has just sprung up -

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39645&pid=719347&st=0entry719347

Can such items ever be adequately secured on a boat?

Every day's a challenge! :P

I don't see it as any different; your boat is not a public place. I’m guessing that the OP is moving onboard so if it is his primary address then even more so. Although I don't think that matters.

I think it's more of a moral obligation to ensure they don't get into the wrong hands, the law seems clear if what I have read is true.

I confiscate semi weapons all the time, usually BB guns and pen knives that are intended to intimidate. This thread has prompted me to read a little more into imitation ceremonial and decorative weapons.

Oh and Martin, You mess with me, you mess with the whole family! :lol:

Knives and the UK Law

Swords and the Law

Good answer , well researched. I actually wasn't aware of this legislation, as I left the Job prior to 2008, so you've taught me something too !

I think the O.P has had his post answered very well, in repspect of the legality of having his swords on his boat ( yep, it's a dwelling, not a public place , so he is entitled to do so ), and the reference to 'Plods' being OK with , errrrrrrrrrrrr serving or Ex Plods ! :lol:

The Dog in the original Dambusters is called Nigger..

Times move on.

You mean the real dog, in the real Dambusters, in real life - let us all re-write history so as not to offend a generation who were not even born when real people were defending our country . . .

You mean the real dog, in the real Dambusters, in real life - let us all re-write history so as not to offend a generation who were not even born when real people were defending our country . . .

Too True!! When I was at school our first Jamacian pupil was Norville Brown, all our dads drank Sam Brown beer at the time so Norville aquired the nickname Sam, imagine what fuss that would cause today ....... :smiley_offtopic:

And finally ( maybe ) ......

Plod is an 'innocuous' term. It certainly isn't derogatory in my opinion.As stated previously, Police use it themselves, MOD PLOD, 'Get local plod to deal' being common parlance in control rooms etc etc..... The Met refered to Heathrow Airport Police as 'Plastic policemen' and Constabularies as 'County Mounties', or 'Carrot Crunchers ' all meant in jest ( maybe ? ).

In the scheme of things , Plod is actually quite endearing. As a previous poster stated "I've been called ALOT worse ".So true ! And given the monumental frig up of The Met and other Police Services recently, "Plod" is pretty much a compliment isn't it ?

Guest wanted

I don't see the point of re writing history but aknowledging when it is wrong is no bad thing eh?