How do people spend their time on boats

Windfola

Featured Posts

So you had cracked one then?

Two...and my sternum...although Blackburn hospital initially told me I was OK...

Two weeks on...I am not OK....but not a lot to do...except sit about and moan..

I have taken a 2 week mooring at Reedley.

Actually..moaning helps a rainy day pass quite well..

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

Two...and my sternum...although Blackburn hospital initially told me I was OK...

Two weeks on...I am not OK....but not a lot to do...except sit about and moan..

I have taken a 2 week mooring at Reedley.

Actually..moaning helps a rainy day pass quite well..

bob

As long as the fractured ribs are not displaced there is not a lot you can do other than take some analgesia - so any delay in diagnosis won't really make a huge difference, they should have spotted it first time though.

A fractured sternum is normally extremely painful..but I guess er you already know that.. :(

I sit in my Stuido and try to work out why my hammond track dosnt fit to piano and vocal tracks I was sent from a up-and-comming (well shag**d all the right people) blues artist.

Ooooh It's stopped raining at Little Venice now I'll go to the pub and see if I can get some inspration for the bottom of a Beer glass.

Bob B

Standing on the back, getting wet, flogging across the Middle Level. We had a booking for Stanground Sluice at 4.30, and couldn't possibly disappoint Tina.

The plan was then to pick up No. 2 Moominchild from Peterborough station and head on up the Nene, but the train she's on is currently stopped in March whilst "the track is inspected" so we could be in Peterborough for some time.....

MP.

Be interesting...

Drinking tea, reading, drinking more tea, drinking beer, sleeping, eating bacon and eggs. I think that pretty much covers it for me.

edit: ooh, I missed out procrastinating about learning to speak Dutch.

Edited by Doug Scullery

One of the joys of getting our own boat, and therefore not having a TV provided on a hire boat, was that we discovered BBC radio 4, especially the 6.30 evening slot. It is so good just to listen to a programe, be entertained or informed via a medium in which the words and their content are important, as opposed to being some adjunct to moving pictures. Rain is an excuse to moor up early and switch on the original magic box.

Dave

• Greenie 1

The solution to rainy days is to wash the boat, went to do just that this afternoon, shifted it to the side away from all the other boats, in the rain. Connected up the power washer, filled the bucket, sponge in hand approached the boat, rain stopped, sun broke through, the bloody thing was dry in seconds. Spent three hours washing it, put it back on its mooring, rain started! :banghead:

Ken

Rain's a pain.

Well it is when you're trying to complete your fitting out.

Lovely day yesterday all tools and benches set up outside for sawing planing sanding etc

Today though all tools mostly under tarpaulin whilst I scratch around for things to do. Sun came out a few times this afternoon so got some more work done in between heavy showers, still progress has been made and another half day tomorrow.

Can't wait till it's all finished and on the water, just love the sound of heavy rain on the roof when relaxing in warm and cosy boat cloud9.gif

Drinking tea, reading, drinking more tea, drinking beer, sleeping, eating bacon and eggs. I think that pretty much covers it for me.

edit: ooh, I missed out procrastinating about learning to speak Dutch.

Why Dutch? When was the last time you met a Dutch person that can't speak better English than most engilsh people?

Seems to me to be a big waste of effort.. :cheers:

Call me an old romantic, but when it rains and we were onboard (currently boatless) and not needing to be anywhere we would retire to bed to snuggle and listen the the rain on the roof. Much as we did this morning in our motorhome.

Why Dutch? When was the last time you met a Dutch person that can't speak better English than most engilsh people?

November 2002 while visiting a factory near Utrecht. I went to the cafeteria to get a drink and got lost. It was only when I asked some of the Dutch workers for directions around the factory that I realised not all Dutch people speak English - especially not middle-aged or older blue collar workers.

Edited by blackrose

Seems to me to be a big waste of effort.. :cheers:

Dutch is a great language to learn!! Problem with the English is that they are very lazy about learning foreign languages and expect everyone to speak english...

Dutch is a great language to learn!! Problem with the English is that they are very lazy about learning foreign languages and expect everyone to speak english...

It isn't that the English are lazy - its just that most of the foreign language speakers, that we meet, also speak English . . .

Many years ago, I learned to speak passable German prior to a trip to East Germany where, I had been told, Russian was the second language rather than English - guess what, almost everyone I met, wanted to converse with me in English after my initial introduction in German. It would have been impolite not to oblige . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

If we're on our home mooring, which is a marina mooring with shoreline power, then there are plenty of things to do. I can surf the net, do some interior DIY, listen to music, watch DVDs, read a book, cook a nice meal, drink a few pints, or have a snooze. Pretty much all the options I'd have in a house, in fact. The only thing I miss is having a workshop or shed to potter about in. Maybe I should buy a butty?

Out on the cut it's a bit different as I don't have a genny, so power is a pressing concern. TBH if I'm geared up for a trip then after an hour or so of sitting around I get cabin fever anyway, and normally get moving again, even if it's tipping down. The stove doesn't burn very well with only the stubby chimney up top, so the normal plan is to cruise in roughly 2-hour bursts, attending to the fire, making tea and changing out of wet clothes at each stop. I always feel very sorry for cold, damp boats and keeping on the move keeps the engine warm and the boat 'alive' against the greyness, somehow.

If I were waiting somewhere for days on end, perhaps for flood waters to recede, I'm afraid I'd be pretty poor company! Unless there is a good pub nearby, of course.

It isn't that the English are lazy - its just that most of the foreign language speakers, that we meet, also speak English . . .

Many years ago, I learned to speak passable German prior to a trip to East Germany where, I had been told, Russian was the second language rather than English - guess what, almost everyone I met, wanted to converse with me in English after my initial introduction in German. It would have been impolite not to oblige . . .

[/quote

When you have learned to speak Dutch, dont be surprised or hurt when people want to speak English to you. They will hear your accent (I can say that, I am afraid I'll never loose my Dutch accent when I speak English, though it gets better the longer I stay in England) and want to be helpful.

English is taught in all secondary schools as a obligatory subject and quite a lot of these schools are switching to bilingual education, with up to 50% of the lessons in English (or in some regions German). Even primary school pupils are taught basic English in the last two years.

In the days I worked for a major oil company, I had lots of British colleagues, most of them spoke (some form of) Dutch, and with them we conversed in Dutch, a small minority didn't bother to learn the language as 'they all speak English, so why shoukd we..'. In general the Britsish people were prepared to make the effort of learning a (difficult) other language, and that was much appreciated.

Please do start to learn our language and don't be put off by its peculiarities and difficult grammar rules, remember that even we Dutch don't get it right all the time.

Because I've been 'wintering' in Spain...I have been making a big effort to learn Spanish...but they do insist on replying in English in many places...

They also...seem to know I'm English before I even open my mouth..?

Mind you...I have found the same thing from the people of Blackburn. They know I'm 'Southern' before I speak...

Maybe...Its my 'Saints' supporters shirt ?

bob