Bl**dy LK4

cloggy

Featured Posts

Well im stumped at the moment.

Engine runs fine under load (in gear), but every now and then when in neutral the bugger starts to run away with itself.

Any advice greatfully accepted.

Cheers

Cloggy

Thanks for the thoughts.

The air filter is an oil bath but not over filled likewise the sump but was until i did an oil change and checked filter.

As for air getting in to the line, you could be right have just re braised one of the fuel lines but am not 100% happy with it, was thinking of starting again with a new line so theres every chance thats what it is.

Once again many thanks and any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Cloggy

Thanks for the thoughts.

The air filter is an oil bath but not over filled likewise the sump but was until i did an oil change and checked filter.

As for air getting in to the line, you could be right have just re braised one of the fuel lines but am not 100% happy with it, was thinking of starting again with a new line so theres every chance thats what it is.

Once again many thanks and any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Cloggy

Air in the fuel line allows the governor to muck about because it should run immersed in fuel. Unfortunately this is not applicable to a Gardner pump. Oil bath filters being only slightly over filled has probably wrecked more gardners than anything else, they are not used on marine engines because even a slight rocking can cause the engine to ingest oil from the filter and bingo you have a very expensive cargo of scrap. Remove it, fit a dry filter.

Air in the fuel line allows the governor to muck about because it should run immersed in fuel. Unfortunately this is not applicable to a Gardner pump. Oil bath filters being only slightly over filled has probably wrecked more gardners than anything else, they are not used on marine engines because even a slight rocking can cause the engine to ingest oil from the filter and bingo you have a very expensive cargo of scrap. Remove it, fit a dry filter.

I can see your point, but Listers H series (and possibly others) marine engines came with oil bath cleaners as standard :o

Maybe a different less vulnerable design of filter, dunno.

First thing I would check is whether the fuel pump rack moves completely freely over its whole travel.

Also check that the buffer spring, in the box on the end of the pump which contains the excess fuel button, is adjusted properly by the book.

Tim

I can see your point, but Listers H series (and possibly others) marine engines came with oil bath cleaners as standard :o

Maybe a different less vulnerable design of filter, dunno.

First thing I would check is whether the fuel pump rack moves completely freely over its whole travel.

Also check that the buffer spring, in the box on the end of the pump which contains the excess fuel button, is adjusted properly by the book.

Tim

Or a different less vulnerable design of engine, I also dunno. What I will tell you, though it is hardly comforting is that when this does happen and the engine, to quote the Gardner manual "attains a destructive speed" it is very very alarming.

Or a different less vulnerable design of engine, I also dunno. What I will tell you, though it is hardly comforting is that when this does happen and the engine, to quote the Gardner manual "attains a destructive speed" it is very very alarming.

Bin the antiquated pile of crap and get a Beta, Job done no more messing about and time for the pub :D

• 1 month later...

Just a quick thanks for the advice from here and various other sources, at the end of the day itseemed to come down to a simple adjustment on the pump.

Just goes to show, I should have started with the simple things first instead of trying to over complicate it.

As for the comment about the Beta engines i do quite like there tug engine :)

Just a quick thanks for the advice from here and various other sources, at the end of the day itseemed to come down to a simple adjustment on the pump.

Just goes to show, I should have started with the simple things first instead of trying to over complicate it.

As for the comment about the Beta engines i do quite like there tug engine :)

I took out my Beta tug engine last year and sold it. Ghastly engine. Pushed the boat along well enough but had zero personality and sounded like a bus.

Replaced it with a Kelvin. Devine!

Wundercrump! Still got that Mclaren if you are interested :)

Thanks Stuart. I'm committed now to a 4LW with hydraulic drive. Spent the rest of my inheritance on the hydraulics :rolleyes: .

The engine's just a pile of bits at the moment, though, has been for months.

More hours/energy in the day needed!

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Thanks Stuart. I'm committed now to a 4LW with hydraulic drive. Spent the rest of my inheritance on the hydraulics :rolleyes: .

The engine's just a pile of bits at the moment, though, has been for months.

More hours/energy in the day needed!

Tim

I know the feeling, only done 2000 miles on my bike this year its normally nearer 10000. your mug is still safe and will be delivered by hand someday!!!