1st Trip Coming Up Soon

Stormbringer

Featured Posts

Hi All

Well, we have finally bought a narrowboat :cheers:

She's a 50ft cruiser stern (I know not everyones cup of tea,but it will suit us for now !) with a Lister 4 pot engine and PRM box.

We should be collecting her from Sawley in about 10 days or so - and our maiden voyage will be to bring her home to Cheshire !!

I have a few hours cruising experience thanks to a mate of mine and his Springer, but have yet to tackle any locks ! The Wife has also had an hour or two at he helm cruising on said Springer.

We both struggled a bit with 'parking' but otherwise seemed to get by OK.

We would be eternally grateful if any of you experienced people would share any tips or advice with us to help us

to make out journey a success. There will be four of us on the boat (2 adults, 2 teenagers) so should not be short

of hands (assuming the kids actually get out of bed this school holiday !! lol)

All help much appreciated Ta :D

Andy & Fi

Hi All

She's a 50ft cruiser stern (I know not everyones cup of tea,but it will suit us for now !) with a Lister 4 pot engine and PRM box.

We should be collecting her from Sawley in about 10 days or so - and our maiden voyage will be to bring her home to Cheshire !!

I have a few hours cruising experience thanks to a mate of mine and his Springer, but have yet to tackle any locks ! The Wife has also had an hour or two at he helm cruising on said Springer.

We would be eternally grateful if any of you experienced people would share any tips or advice with us to help us

to make out journey a success. There will be four of us on the boat (2 adults, 2 teenagers) so should not be short

All help much appreciated Ta :D

Andy & Fi

Hi

Right first things first

1/ you are bringing women so be careful they do not fill the BEER fridge with non essentials like food

2/ Women use water like its gone out of fashion I suggest you fill it daily until they are educated

3/ Keep away from the gates behind you whilst going downhill in locks to keep off the sill

4/ Take several mooring pins and widlasses and 2 hammers you will lose some

5/ Mooring chains are very useful in many places and more secure than pins

6/ Dont try to go hell for leather take it steady and enjoy the journey

7/ Rather than moor in towns etc moor in the middle of knowhere and observe the wildlife ( within walking distance of pub )

8/ remember you are NOT plugged in to the national grid

9/ Check and recheck you have replaced the weed hatch properly and if you have to go down there take key out of ignition and put in pocket EVERY time.

10/ ENJOY

:cheers:

Congratulations! Have you thought about doing a one day helmsman course? Quite a few people offer them nowadays and it would give you the confidence and starter knowledge you need to move the boat. There are many places which do it - on our marina (Overwater Marina, near Audlem, Cheshire) Cheshire Cat Training offer it - have a look at http://www.cheshirecattraining.co.uk/

Janet

Beware of other people on the towpath (whether from another boat or not) who offer advice. They may not know any more about it than you do.

Make it VERY CLEAR that you (or your partner as agreed between you) are the SKIPPER and things will be done your way and according to YOUR timetable - don't be rushed.

If somebody is delayed 10 or 20 minutes because you are new it does not matter. Life will go on pretty much as normal.

While the skipper must make the final decision, don't be shy about asking for help - 99.99% of people you meet will be glad to help.

You will probably learn a lot by helping one or two other boats through locks. Don't be afraid to ask "why are you doing X"

Hi

Right first things first

1/ you are bringing women so be careful they do not fill the BEER fridge with non essentials like food

2/ Women use water like its gone out of fashion I suggest you fill it daily until they are educated

3/ Keep away from the gates behind you whilst going downhill in locks to keep off the sill

4/ Take several mooring pins and widlasses and 2 hammers you will lose some

5/ Mooring chains are very useful in many places and more secure than pins

6/ Dont try to go hell for leather take it steady and enjoy the journey

7/ Rather than moor in towns etc moor in the middle of knowhere and observe the wildlife ( within walking distance of pub )

8/ remember you are NOT plugged in to the national grid

9/ Check and recheck you have replaced the weed hatch properly and if you have to go down there take key out of ignition and put in pocket EVERY time.

10/ ENJOY

:cheers:

Superb advice - especially regarding the fridge :lol:

Seriously though - great tips mrsmelly ... Thank you very much.

I am a pretty laid back kinda guy - so we will not be rushing anywhere.

I refuse to do hurrying for anyone I'm afraid ;) ( sorry if we hold you up though ! :D )

Andy & Fi

Congratulations! Have you thought about doing a one day helmsman course? Quite a few people offer them nowadays and it would give you the confidence and starter knowledge you need to move the boat. There are many places which do it - on our marina (Overwater Marina, near Audlem, Cheshire) Cheshire Cat Training offer it - have a look at http://www.cheshirecattraining.co.uk/

Janet

Thanks Janet - we will look into it B)

Ray Cullis of Trent Boat Handling has an excellent reputation, and runs one/or/two day courses.

Based at Nottingham, he's practically on your doorstep

Many thanks - we actually live in Cheshire - just collecting the boat from Sawley - but thanks anyway.

We will have a look at some training :D

Beware of other people on the towpath (whether from another boat or not) who offer advice. They may not know any more about it than you do.

Make it VERY CLEAR that you (or your partner as agreed between you) are the SKIPPER and things will be done your way and according to YOUR timetable - don't be rushed.

If somebody is delayed 10 or 20 minutes because you are new it does not matter. Life will go on pretty much as normal.

While the skipper must make the final decision, don't be shy about asking for help - 99.99% of people you meet will be glad to help.

You will probably learn a lot by helping one or two other boats through locks. Don't be afraid to ask "why are you doing X"

Thanks Robin2

I have tried to read and absorb as many post on here as I can to get myself clued up to some degree but I realise that the only REAL way to learn is to ask questions of people to get an idea and then try it out for yourself. Same as most things in life I guess - no substitute for experience !

I like the Skipper comment - I guess that helps clear communication and avoids confusion .. great tip thanks.

As mentioned I am not generally shy about asking for advice .....

I thought about maybe going and watching (or even helping if I didn't get in the way !) at some local locks before we venture out onto the canals. Might well arrange that for the weekend B)

Thanks again for the help - much appreciated

Andy & Fi

Well - did some 'spectating' at Bunbury today and watched a boat go down the locks after

they sorted the water levels out.

Makes much more sense now! ;)

Also - I didn't realise that there were instruction boards!! That helped too....

Cheers

Andy

Enjoy the trip, we certainly had a good time 3 years ago in the same situation.

I offer two tips:

1) have a torch handy - not a silly wind-up thing, a head torch is best. Keep it by your bed.

2) try and remember where the boat was on your way back from the pub

One more: a floaty thing on the keys can help

Enjoy the trip, we certainly had a good time 3 years ago in the same situation.

I offer two tips:

1) have a torch handy - not a silly wind-up thing, a head torch is best. Keep it by your bed.

2) try and remember where the boat was on your way back from the pub

One more: a floaty thing on the keys can help

Thanks for the good wishes and the tips...much appreciated B)

Will probably put the kids ( or actually the dog !) in charge of tip 2 lol. They might me in a better state

than me after the pub :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Andy

Well - did some 'spectating' at Bunbury today and watched a boat go down the locks after

they sorted the water levels out.

Makes much more sense now! ;)

Also - I didn't realise that there were instruction boards!! That helped too....

Cheers

Andy

Bunbury can catch out many an experienced boater (ahem). Most locks are much simpler! (although they don't have instruction boards)

As you are starting from Sawley your first few locks on the Trent and Mersey are wide ones. And as you are going uphill through these locks once in the lock you close the gates and if not sharing with another boat (having tied up if you wish using either the centre rope you will have attached or the front and back ropes - all of which should be strong enough and long enough to hold the boat in strong stream conditions) wind up the top ground paddles first. (In this case uniquely these few T&M wides need the paddle on the opposite side to you boat wound first to reduce turbulance.) When the boat is up a bit you can wind other paddles.

The half dozen wides at this end of the Trent and Mersey include some of the stiffest gates and paddles and stupidest landing stages on the system. To work the paddles you might find a long throw windlass is useful. After the wides at Burton you are on narrows for the rest of your trip to Bunbury (if that's where your going). These are much more user friendly though some can still be a bit hard to work.

If you decided as your route to continue on the Trent and Mersey to Middlewich you will get the fun of Harecastle tunnel - which even has a skeleton in it. For some reason most people prefer to not use this stretch, turn left at Haywood, and go via the Staffs and Worcs and the Shroppie - which seems a shame as going down the T&M from Harecastle the famous Heartbreak Hill is quite pleasant. And, branching off this T&M route you have the Caldon and the Maccy.

Hi All

In summer the cruiser style is quite good for a family. My Centre Cockpit is even better!

Do not rush back to Cheshire, you have the whole summer to explore, why not plan an extended cruise? If you are worried about leaving your new pride and joy moored on the towpath between weekends (as we were) you could use some Boatyards and Marinas. We bought our first boat a good weeks journey from our mooring but spent the whole summer cruising - just me and the kids (12 and 9) during the week, wife and friends at weekends.

A lot more than mosts hirers!

Except for Staircase Locks which, as you say have 'Instructions', the simple version is:

Going Up: remove bath plug, open gates, enter, replace bath plug, open taps.

Going Down: Insert bath plug, open taps, open gates, enter, close gates, remove bath plug.

Do it all slowly until you are confident that you understand how the local locks work.

As above, the skipper should indicate when to open or close paddles.

Usually the 'skippper' is the person who is steering unless they are 'under instruction'.

My (ex) missus never accepted this

Get to know your boat's handling characteristics. We were lucky with our first hire (1976, Brummagen Boats): "You have the helm, reverse out from the pontoon and head us off that way. Now, this is a nice cruising speed, use reverse to stop, see how it takes only a boat's length but note how the boat turns as you use reverse. Now, take us into that arm to the left. Me, "Erm what? I thought that was some sort of drainage channel, surely this boat will not fit?". I think that was Farmer's Bridge?

Parking, or coming alongside is complicated by the lack of depth of water on the canals. When you have determined which way the boat turns in reverse (usually right) you can use this to your advantage. Assuming it veers to the right in reverse, you can approach the LH bank at a slight angle and reverse will both stop the forward motion and pull the stern in to the bank. Approaching the RH bank requires a bit more judgement; as the bow approaches the bank you must swing the stern in then engage reverse to counteract the momentum. You boat is probably ~17 tonnes - do not try to stop it with limbs or poles!

If you have crew keen to leap off of the boat, dissuade them. If the water is shallow you can approach at a good (obtuse) angle and stem up the bow in the mud. The crew step off the bow taking keys and windlasses with them. The helmsman can usually maintain this position until the lock is 'ready' or reverse and maintain position in the centre of the canal.

The important thing with locks, lift and swing bridges is to plan ahead. Never rush, walk, don't run!

Having said "do not rush, plan an extended cruise" my (now ex) wife decided that we must celebrate the nine year old's birthday at home which required leaving the boat in Oxford for a weekend! To make the rendevous I set off at 5am single handed until, at 7am, I bumped a lock side, waking the children. Pity I left my wallet in a 'phone box (before the days of mobile 'phones) - as I said, plan ahead and take it easy. This first trip has all the advantages of a distant hire base and non of the disadvantages of owning a boat; take full advantage!

I am so jealous! After you get your boat to Cheshire you will enjoy cruising the local waterway but picking up a boat from a distant place could be as big an adventure as you can make it.

Alan

In summer the cruiser style is quite good for a family. My Centre Cockpit is even better!

Do not rush back to Cheshire, you have the whole summer to explore, why not plan an extended cruise? If you are worried about leaving your new pride and joy moored on the towpath between weekends (as we were) you could use some Boatyards and Marinas. We bought our first boat a good weeks journey from our mooring but spent the whole summer cruising - just me and the kids (12 and 9) during the week, wife and friends at weekends.

Except for Staircase Locks which, as you say have 'Instructions', the simple version is:

Going Down: Insert bath plug, open taps, open gates, enter, close gates, remove bath plug.

Do it all slowly until you are confident that you understand how the local locks work.

Usually the 'skippper' is the person who is steering unless they are 'under instruction'.

Get to know your boat's handling characteristics. We were lucky with our first hire (1976, Brummagen Boats): "You have the helm, reverse out from the pontoon and head us off that way. Now, this is a nice cruising speed, use reverse to stop, see how it takes only a boat's length but note how the boat turns as you use reverse. Now, take us into that arm to the left. Me, "Erm what? I thought that was some sort of drainage channel, surely this boat will not fit?". I think that was Farmer's Bridge?

Parking, or coming alongside is complicated by the lack of depth of water on the canals. When you have determined which way the boat turns in reverse (usually right) you can use this to your advantage. Assuming it veers to the right in reverse, you can approach the LH bank at a slight angle and reverse will both stop the forward motion and pull the stern in to the bank. Approaching the RH bank requires a bit more judgement; as the bow approaches the bank you must swing the stern in then engage reverse to counteract the momentum. You boat is probably ~17 tonnes - do not try to stop it with limbs or poles!

If you have crew keen to leap off of the boat, dissuade them. If the water is shallow you can approach at a good (obtuse) angle and stem up the bow in the mud. The crew step off the bow taking keys and windlasses with them. The helmsman can usually maintain this position until the lock is 'ready' or reverse and maintain position in the centre of the canal.

The important thing with locks, lift and swing bridges is to plan ahead. Never rush, walk, don't run!

Having said "do not rush, plan an extended cruise" my (now ex) wife decided that we must celebrate the nine year old's birthday at home which required leaving the boat in Oxford for a weekend! To make the rendevous I set off at 5am single handed until, at 7am, I bumped a lock side, waking the children. Pity I left my wallet in a 'phone box (before the days of mobile 'phones) - as I said, plan ahead and take it easy. This first trip has all the advantages of a distant hire base and non of the disadvantages of owning a boat; take full advantage!

I am so jealous! After you get your boat to Cheshire you will enjoy cruising the local waterway but picking up a boat from a distant place could be as big an adventure as you can make it.

Alan

spot on there. a long expedition by boat. it can be the best ever. learning about your boat and a journey to be proud of too.

enjoy, your first trip will never happen again.

cheers

nigel

When single handing, master the ability to leg it from the tiller to the fridge and back again before you hit the bank.

If there is no other boat coming stop your boat in a bridge hole while you make excursions down below. Saves the hassle of mooring up and of running aground.

Bunbury can catch out many an experienced boater (ahem). Most locks are much simpler! (although they don't have instruction boards)

Thank you Chertsey :D - I'm actually quite loking forward to doing locks - I like learning new stuff too :D

Cheers

Andy ;)

As you are starting from Sawley your first few locks on the Trent and Mersey are wide ones. And as you are going uphill through these locks once in the lock you close the gates and if not sharing with another boat (having tied up if you wish using either the centre rope you will have attached or the front and back ropes - all of which should be strong enough and long enough to hold the boat in strong stream conditions) wind up the top ground paddles first. (In this case uniquely these few T&M wides need the paddle on the opposite side to you boat wound first to reduce turbulance.) When the boat is up a bit you can wind other paddles.

The half dozen wides at this end of the Trent and Mersey include some of the stiffest gates and paddles and stupidest landing stages on the system. To work the paddles you might find a long throw windlass is useful. After the wides at Burton you are on narrows for the rest of your trip to Bunbury (if that's where your going). These are much more user friendly though some can still be a bit hard to work.

If you decided as your route to continue on the Trent and Mersey to Middlewich you will get the fun of Harecastle tunnel - which even has a skeleton in it. For some reason most people prefer to not use this stretch, turn left at Haywood, and go via the Staffs and Worcs and the Shroppie - which seems a shame as going down the T&M from Harecastle the famous Heartbreak Hill is quite pleasant. And, branching off this T&M route you have the Caldon and the Maccy.

Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your local knowledge to help us. It really is much appreciated :cheers:

I have added a long throw windlass to the 'to get' list.

With regard to the wide locks. One thing I am unsure of is the issue of tying up when in a lock. What is the general concencus on this ? I know there are supporters of both methods, but what are the pros and cons ?

Cheers for the tip on paddle opening too - I will remember that !

We were also thinking of using the T&M route anyway - and your comments have just added weight to that - cheers. Is the tunnel OK for a novice ?

In summary - thanks very much for a very helpful reply . :cheers:

Andy & Fi

Beware of gits who claim to be helping you through a lock but fill or empty it too quick coz they're really trying to rush you through. Had it happen a few times when new to the boat - so I tell them to wind the paddle back down if they do that now. They invariably look horrified. I've had a full blown row with a nasty piece of work near Leighton Buzzard in the autumn on that exact theme who said no and continued to do it! :angry: I crossed the lock and got unusually testosteroney for a girl and took his windlass off him and wound the paddle back down myself. Scared the sh*t out of him and his wife, and I think I expanded their vocabularly somewhat too. ;)

It's your boat, nobody elses. If someone really wants to help you can ask them to go slow because you're new to this and getting used to how the boat responds. And they'll be obliging! Enjoy it at your pace, you'll have a great time. :captain:

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for the brilliant reply !:D

We won't be rushing back hopefully ! Looking forward to having no real agenda just 'going with the flow' and relaxing !! We are really excited about our new adventure so won't be in a hurry to end it quickly :lol:

Love the analogy for the locks too :) Very memorable....

Thanks too for the advice about pulling alongside. We intend to find a quiet bit of canal and have a few practice stops just to get a feel for the boat. Great advice about the boat steering under reverse too ! I will find that out pretty soon into the journey I guess LOL!

And WOW - 17 tonnes !! Heavy stuff !

We will remember your advice about not hurrying !!

I don't really do hurrying anymore - so am looking forward to an environment where other people don't hurry so much either...sounds ideal to me :D

Thanks again for your reply and for sharing your experiences .

We are really looking forward to this trip :D :D

Regards

Andy & FI

Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your local knowledge to help us. It really is much appreciated :cheers:

With regard to the wide locks. One thing I am unsure of is the issue of tying up when in a lock. What is the general concencus on this ? I know there are supporters of both methods, but what are the pros and cons ?

We were also thinking of using the T&M route anyway - and your comments have just added weight to that - cheers. Is the tunnel OK for a novice ?

Andy & Fi

Hi

If you are on your own. going up in a wide lock it is almost imperative to tie up. Always open the ground paddle on the boat side first. You will still be washed around in the lock.

I would always try to pair up with some one in any wide locks, you dont need to tie up and its a big help with the paddles and gates

The first 6 (wide) locks on the T&M are very deep so be careful.

Tunnels are OK, there is a one way system at the Harecastle, the locky will tell you when to go, make sure your headlight works before you get there, you wont be allowed in without one. Turning on some of the cabin lights will also help

Alex

spot on there. a long expedition by boat. it can be the best ever. learning about your boat and a journey to be proud of too.

enjoy, your first trip will never happen again.

cheers

nigel

Hi Nigel

Thanks for that :D

I like that angle ... it will never happen again ! Makes it all the more enjoyable then I recon !! :lol:

And also - Yes - I am looking forward to getting to know my boat and understanding it too!

Always one of the best feelings when you get something new !

Cheers

Andy & Fi

Beware of gits who claim to be helping you through a lock but fill or empty it too quick coz they're really trying to rush you through. Had it happen a few times when new to the boat - so I tell them to wind the paddle back down if they do that now. They invariably look horrified. I've had a full blown row with a nasty piece of work near Leighton Buzzard in the autumn on that exact theme who said no and continued to do it! :angry: I crossed the lock and got unusually testosteroney for a girl and took his windlass off him and wound the paddle back down myself. Scared the sh*t out of him and his wife, and I think I expanded their vocabularly somewhat too. ;)

It's your boat, nobody elses. If someone really wants to help you can ask them to go slow because you're new to this and getting used to how the boat responds. And they'll be obliging! Enjoy it at your pace, you'll have a great time. :captain:

Take particular care with Stenson Lock, it's very deep and do not open the gate paddles when locking up until the water level reaches them. I was single handing here once as a 'helper' opened them immediately. Words were exchanged. As someone else said, it's your boat in the lock so you're in charge.

• Greenie 1

When single handing, master the ability to leg it from the tiller to the fridge and back again before you hit the bank.

Nice !! Thirsty work then :cheers::lol:

If there is no other boat coming stop your boat in a bridge hole while you make excursions down below. Saves the hassle of mooring up and of running aground.

Nice one cheers !! :cheers:

Thanks very much BlueStringPudding

I consider my self duly warned !!

Yep...looking forward to some nice relaxed and enjoyable cruising

Thanks again :D

Andy & Fi

Hi

If you are on your own. going up in a wide lock it is almost imperative to tie up. Always open the ground paddle on the boat side first. You will still be washed around in the lock.

I would always try to pair up with some one in any wide locks, you dont need to tie up and its a big help with the paddles and gates

The first 6 (wide) locks on the T&M are very deep so be careful.

Tunnels are OK, there is a one way system at the Harecastle, the locky will tell you when to go, make sure your headlight works before you get there, you wont be allowed in without one. Turning on some of the cabin lights will also help

Alex

Hi Alex, and thank you.

Will check the light works when we collect the boat !

Thanks also for the ground paddle advice :D

Would be good to double up - another new experience then gained !!

Thanks again

Regards

Andy & Fi

Take particular care with Stenson Lock, it's very deep and do not open the gate paddles when locking up until the water level reaches them. I was single handing here once as a 'helper' opened them immediately. Words were exchanged. As someone else said, it's your boat in the lock so you're in charge.

Thanks Tim - will watch out for that one, especially the gate paddles !

Cheers

Andy & Fi

Andy & Fi

As fo tying up in Locks I only tie up when I have to such as on the Thames when they make you otherwise uphill or downhill wide or narrow I dont tie up unless I am in with an Airfix kit and dont want to upset em. Others do it differently and I would suggest as a novice if you are going uphill single boat in a wide lock I would use a rope or you may get banged about, after a bit of experience that will not happen. :)