The River Nene

MIKE P

Featured Posts

Next week I will be venturing through Northampton onto the River Nene and possibly the River Great Ouse.

I have never done this trip before therefore welcome any suggestions or advice that would make an enjoyable trip.Also suggestions on moorings and places to see.

Next week I will be venturing through Northampton onto the River Nene and possibly the River Great Ouse.

I have never done this trip before therefore welcome any suggestions or advice that would make an enjoyable trip.Also suggestions on moorings and places to see.

When you see a dark blue NB with a light gray roof and portholes coming the other way, wave. We'll be doing the trip in the opposite direction next week.

Your question is almost a FAQ, so it's worth searching for old threads on this, but a couple of things are worth knowing. Mooring at Fotheringhay is a must. It costs a few quid for overnight mooring, but it's really worth it. If you're into steam trains, there are good moorings at Wansford, within steam-oil smelling distance of the trains on the Nene Valley Railway. Finally, to banish the anxiety all canal-dwellers seem to get on rivers about not being able to moor anywhere, get yourself a couple of 56lb weights to act a mudweights, then you can moor anywhere!

If you decide to cross the Middle Level to the Ouse, don't forget that you need to give Stanground lock 24hrs notice of passage, and the stretch from Salter's Lode to Denver is tidal, so you need to talk Salter's Lode in advance to get the timing right. On the Ouse, don't miss out the tributaries (Wissey, Little Ouse and Lark). All three can wind at least 60ft, but don't go past Jude's Ferry pub on the Lark, that's the limit of navigation for long boats. (The winding points on the other two are obvious).

The published land-line number for Stanground now has a voice message giving you a new mobile number, so to save you the hassle, the new number is 07824600470.

Finally, don't forget that you'll need an EA license for the rivers, and the Middle Level people may want sight of your BSS and insurance documents as you pass onto MLC waters.

Have fun, it's a fabulous bit of the waterways.

MP.

When you see a dark blue NB with a light gray roof and portholes coming the other way, wave. We'll be doing the trip in the opposite direction next week.

Your question is almost a FAQ, so it's worth searching for old threads on this, but a couple of things are worth knowing. Mooring at Fotheringhay is a must. It costs a few quid for overnight mooring, but it's really worth it. If you're into steam trains, there are good moorings at Wansford, within steam-oil smelling distance of the trains on the Nene Valley Railway. Finally, to banish the anxiety all canal-dwellers seem to get on rivers about not being able to moor anywhere, get yourself a couple of 56lb weights to act a mudweights, then you can moor anywhere!

If you decide to cross the Middle Level to the Ouse, don't forget that you need to give Stanground lock 24hrs notice of passage, and the stretch from Salter's Lode to Denver is tidal, so you need to talk Salter's Lode in advance to get the timing right. On the Ouse, don't miss out the tributaries (Wissey, Little Ouse and Lark). All three can wind at least 60ft, but don't go past Jude's Ferry pub on the Lark, that's the limit of navigation for long boats. (The winding points on the other two are obvious).

The published land-line number for Stanground now has a voice message giving you a new mobile number, so to save you the hassle, the new number is 07824600470.

Finally, don't forget that you'll need an EA license for the rivers, and the Middle Level people may want sight of your BSS and insurance documents as you pass onto MLC waters.

Have fun, it's a fabulous bit of the waterways.

MP.

Many thanks will keep a lookout for you.

Ok thanks, but was hoping for up todate info that members have first hand knowledge of.

I will search all the same.

I am sure that if the Great Helmsman did not have exam boards all day she would agree the Nene was pretty...................boring, awful, annoying or just plain dull. Still it takes all sorts, somewhere like the Tame Valley, the Wyrley and Essington or getting stuck with a mattress on the blades in a litter strewn corner of the Old Main Line is her idea of heaven. :rolleyes:

Edited by PaddingtonBear

We are going on the Nene next week too so it looks like it might not be as quiet as some would have us believe. We are on a blue Nb with large silver portholes and she is called Grace.

I hear that if we go onto the Ouse we may need a different type of windlass can anyone tell me what is different about them and where to get one ?

Regards

TC

You will also need to get a Middle Level windlass at Standground for use at Ashline Lock and please don't forget to phone Marmont Priory Lock and book a passage, although you can always do it your self out of hours. and don't moor in March as locals piss on you from the road bridge.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

We are going on the Nene next week too so it looks like it might not be as quiet as some would have us believe. We are on a blue Nb with large silver portholes and she is called Grace.

I hear that if we go onto the Ouse we may need a different type of windlass can anyone tell me what is different about them and where to get one ?

Regards

TC

From memory, the spindles are larger and more tapered than canal ones. I think we bought ours from Gayton Marina, and were then very confused that it wasn't needed on the Nene. It is needed on the Ouse. A Middle Level windlass is different again: square, not tapered at all and very large. Stanground lock can sell you one of them.

MP.

From memory, the spindles are larger and more tapered than canal ones. I think we bought ours from Gayton Marina, and were then very confused that it wasn't needed on the Nene. It is needed on the Ouse. A Middle Level windlass is different again: square, not tapered at all and very large. Stanground lock can sell you one of them.

MP.

Although you'll only need the windlass if you pass along the Old West River and then beyond St Ives. All locks between Denver and Cambridge are mechanised, and you'll need an Abloy key.

You'll need an Abloy key for the Nene, they're on sale at Gayton Marina but not really anywhere else.

Join GOBA most ofthe best moorings are non EA.

My favourite section is Bramford to Gt Barford.Wide deep river with some great moorings in the sticks.On a weekday not unusual to be cruising for hours at a time without seeing another boat.If you go through the bridge at Gt Barford heading downstream choose the arch marked no entry!

Recommend Castle Mill Lock as an experience makes Denham deep look ickle.

If moorings are full at St Ives good GOBA moorings on right just past town.

Heading back to Salters lode you will see a post in the sandbank in front of lock aim to right of post and turn hard once bow is clear-if you overdo it thats why the tyres are there.

And make sure youve got a full water tank and no crap on roof-very low bridge at Outwell before Salters Lode.My boat is very high sided and cratch cover bolts were scraping on way through a more normal boat should have no problem.