Noise pollution

bizzard

Featured Posts

I,and i'm sure most of us love peace and quiet.

BUT.I have taken to trying to moor day or night away from other boats,mainly modernish ones with all the trappings of so called modern living, requiring huge comsumption of electrical power. There used to be an agreed time to run engines for charging purposes,i think between 7 and 8pm correct me if i'm wrong,but very few boaters seem to adhere to this old rule anymore. Indeed in days of yore,anyone moored on a trot of boats, needing to charge batteries out of these times would ask the neighboring boaters if they minded the noise for a short time ''never at night though''and would almost always receive a polite and pleasant,yes of course.

But i'm afraid in general these days, most either just don't know the old courtesy rules or just selfishly choose to ignore them.-S------them,i pay my dues,i'm going to do as i please attitude,i know a couple of owners who have this attitude. Also a lot of the freindliness has gone.Most seem to now,pull in, tie up,go and shut themselves in and i presume set all their inverter powered electrical appliances running.Its no wonder Electrolosis is such a major issue these days,no offense whatever,meant to anyone,by the way. We'll all have to change to wooden boats as a remedy.

Why on a couple of occasions i've traveled for half a day sharing locks ect,tied up behind them for the night,sat down with a cup of tea swooning in the peace,and lo within about 10 mins that boats started its engine again after running all day!,and i and others are now subject to a droning engine ,maybe hours.

Once i was moored at i think Apsley GU opposite the new Papermakers pub (London Pride} mmmmm. behind an maximum size wide beam.Apart from its wretched Eber come Weba going on and off like a vacuum cleaner all night long (mid summer). An on demand

diesel generator i presume in its engine room roared out at 2am for around 15 mins,horrendous.I'm told this occurs a lot.

.All those thinking of going all electric,''please'' Hope i've not offended anyone. Kind regards to all. bizzard.

• Greenie 3

There used to be an agreed time to run engines for charging purposes,i think between 7 and 8pm

Never heard of that one. :closedeyes:

The 'rules' are that an engine or generator can be run at anytime between 08:00 Hrs and 20:00 Hrs.

Which is what I do.

The 'rules' are that an engine or generator can be run at anytime between 08:00 Hrs and 20:00 Hrs.

Which is what I do.

Yes I will back Keith up on that one he does only run it for the whole 12 hours fuelled continuously from his 50 foot diesel tanker butty behind his gas free boat... :lol:

ask the neighboring boaters if they minded the noise for a short time ''never at night though''and would almost always receive a polite and pleasant,yes of course.

I have done this on one occasion and got the "yes, of course" response, although they did seem surprised that I'd bothered to ask.

Which is what I do.

No! The rules are that:

Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway, you must not:

( a ) do anything which will cause damage or nuisance to any other person or their property.

( b ) use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any mooring along the Waterway between 8pm and 8am, unless you are moored in isolation, out of earshot of other people.

So this only allows you to run your generator during the day when/where it will not cause nuisance to anyone else.

David

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

As the OP is pointing out, not everybody adheres to these guidelines, I can recall 2 or 3 instances in the last couple of weeks where I could here boat mounted generators running after 2000.

No! The rules are that:

Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway, you must not:

( a ) do anything which will cause damage or nuisance to any other person or their property.

( b ) use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any mooring along the Waterway between 8pm and 8am, unless you are moored in isolation, out of earshot of other people.

So this only allows you to run your generator during the day when/where it will not cause nuisance to anyone else.

David

These are 2 separate requirements - A does not qualify B or vice versa.

The implication is that running a generator between 8am and 8pm is NOT deemed to be a nuisance anywhere, and it is not a nuisance at any time if it is out of earshot of other people.

ETA ...

And there was me wasting my time reading this forum, not watching the clock and forgetting to run my own engine :)

Edited by Robin2

These are 2 separate requirements - A does not qualify B or vice versa.

The implication is that running a generator between 8am and 8pm is NOT deemed to be a nuisance anywhere, and it is not a nuisance at any time if it is out of earshot of other people.

Of course it can be a nuisance at any time, if it's excessively noisy, smoky, right outside someone's window/door, etc etc.

Just because it's within the 'approved' hours doesn't absolve the operator from proper consideration for others.

Tim

I,and i'm sure most of us love peace and quiet.

BUT.I have taken to trying to moor day or night away from other boats,mainly modernish ones with all the trappings of so called modern living, requiring huge comsumption of electrical power. There used to be an agreed time to run engines for charging purposes,i think between 7 and 8pm correct me if i'm wrong,but very few boaters seem to adhere to this old rule anymore. Indeed in days of yore,anyone moored on a trot of boats, needing to charge batteries out of these times would ask the neighboring boaters if they minded the noise for a short time ''never at night though''and would almost always receive a polite and pleasant,yes of course.

But i'm afraid in general these days, most either just don't know the old courtesy rules or just selfishly choose to ignore them.-S------them,i pay my dues,i'm going to do as i please attitude,i know a couple of owners who have this attitude. Also a lot of the freindliness has gone.Most seem to now,pull in, tie up,go and shut themselves in and i presume set all their inverter powered electrical appliances running.Its no wonder Electrolosis is such a major issue these days,no offense whatever,meant to anyone,by the way. We'll all have to change to wooden boats as a remedy.

Why on a couple of occasions i've traveled for half a day sharing locks ect,tied up behind them for the night,sat down with a cup of tea swooning in the peace,and lo within about 10 mins that boats started its engine again after running all day!,and i and others are now subject to a droning engine ,maybe hours.

Once i was moored at i think Apsley GU opposite the new Papermakers pub (London Pride} mmmmm. behind an maximum size wide beam.Apart from its wretched Eber come Weba going on and off like a vacuum cleaner all night long (mid summer). An on demand

diesel generator i presume in its engine room roared out at 2am for around 15 mins,horrendous.I'm told this occurs a lot.

.All those thinking of going all electric,''please'' Hope i've not offended anyone. Kind regards to all. bizzard.

Oh how I agree! I don't care if you have offended anyone, they don't care if they offend.

Sue

If you find it an annoyance, you have my permission to move your boat. :lol:

I find that a very rude reply. If I have moored first why should I move because you choose to make a lot of noise.

Sue

• Greenie 1

doesn't absolve the operator from proper consideration for others

True and the boat I saw with a sign on the stern stating " Warning generator run late into the night" was being considerate.

The boat was in the 'middle of nowhere' and no one moored near, so the sign worked. :)

SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I find that a very rude reply. If I have moored first why should I move because you choose to make a lot of noise.

Sue

You missed the smiley then.

and for your information I do not 'make a lot of noise', in fact I defy anyone to hear my boat engine or my generator when they are running. (Unless they are standing right next to my boat and even then it is more of a soft purr.)

I can often hear other boats engines and generators above mine and that is when I am inside the boat, the noisiest place to hear my engine and generator.

:cheers:

Of course it can be a nuisance at any time, if it's excessively noisy, smoky, right outside someone's window/door, etc etc.

Just because it's within the 'approved' hours doesn't absolve the operator from proper consideration for others.

Tim

Precisely, i wasn't quoting rules and regulations on noise, of which there would be no need for if people were more thoughtful.Just mentioning that not so long ago this is what most people did,when moored up, they didn't want to hear there own engines droning away never mind other peoples.They couldn't wait to switch em off, and that was that until they started up and moved on,on their trip.

I believe at boat festivals people are requested, i don't think told, to run engines at certain times and i think, not for very long,certainly not for hours on end which i do know is very very common. bizzard.

True and the boat I saw with a sign on the stern stating " Warning generator run late into the night" was being considerate.

The boat was in the 'middle of nowhere' and no one moored near, so the sign worked. :)

:cheers:

Maybe so, but if they do what the sign says they're not following the other rule.

Maybe they don't run it late, but just 'want to be alone'!

Tim

Tim

I agree with you about excessively noisy and smoky - I didn't think the OP was referring to that problem.

But if its not excessively noisy or smoky I don't think I agree with you about the window / door. If you are referring to houses I suspect the canal was there first, and the existence of a canal in good condition with boats using it regularly adds value to canalside properties. If you are referring to other boats well I think it's a case of live and let live.

If you want to experience noisy boats spend a windy night in a sail-boat marina with halyards flapping.

I agree with you about excessively noisy and smoky - I didn't think the OP was referring to that problem.

But if its not excessively noisy or smoky I don't think I agree with you about the window / door. If you are referring to houses I suspect the canal was there first, and the existence of a canal in good condition with boats using it regularly adds value to canalside properties. If you are referring to other boats well I think it's a case of live and let live.

If you want to experience noisy boats spend a windy night in a sail-boat marina with halyards flapping.

So you think it's acceptable to tie up with your generator next to someone's window/door (boat or house, makes no difference in principle), maybe on a warm summers day, and run your generator?

Tim

Oh how I agree! I don't care if you have offended anyone, they don't care if they offend.

Sue

Sue

Thanks for the support Sue.At least we now know the name of the boat so can give it a wide berth,No wonder its whereabouts are kept a secret. Kind regards bizzard.

How about a sign that says "I stop running my engine and generator at 8pm so I can use my fully charged diamond tipped hole saw in peace if need be"

But seriously are the canals that busy that if someone was to ignore a polite request you can't just move away from them?

How about a sign that says "I stop running my engine and generator at 8pm so I can use my fully charged diamond tipped hole saw in peace if need be"

But seriously are the canals that busy that if someone was to ignore a polite request you can't just move away from them?

That may well be possible if you're on a boat. Not so easy if you're on land.

Tim

Tim

I don't think that the definition of "nuisance" can be stretched so far, otherwise I could legitimately object to the guy on the next boat having a large and unnecessarily ugly wife in public view on his back deck!

Given that boats generally have diesel engines which are not intrinsically quiet things it has to be accepted that their use will bring with it a certain amount of noise and fumes. Who is to determine whether or not this is "excessive"? Some people thrive on the sound of a slow revving vintage engine, popping away. The rules don't prevent the running of engines between the hours of 8am and 8pm, just because someone objects.

I wish it wasn't the case, but I must admit I am very sensitive to the noise and fumes of engines and generators running on moored boats. It is the last thing I need after a days' boating.

If possible I try to avoid mooring my bow deck next to the stern of any boat as it seems to be coming the norm for boats to run engines/generators at all hours of the day.

Edited by PhilR

Assume you mean the "Paper Mill" pub ?

I don't have to guess too hard that the boat involved would be the massive Piper wide beam "Zoe" - the boat built big enough to be a VAT exempt houseboat......

This boat does seem to be incapable of going more than about an hour without running an internal generating plant of some kind. If I walk the dog past in one direction, and it isn't making a noise, it can usually be guaranteed to be doing so as I walk back the other way, even though seemingly unoccupied.

I have never seen this boat, which has no home mooring, more than a mile from the same location, and assume it has to be permanently connected to the shore via some kind of diesel hose in order to meet an insatiable need to keep the generators running. :rolleyes:

It does seem one of the most bizarre boats around, and it seems its owner actually wants it to be a penthouse flat, with the fact that it is actually a boat getting in the way of that desire as little as possible.

Each to their own, I guess, but seems totally bonkers to me! Thank God not every non moving canal boat has the need to fire up generating capability on such a regular basis.

I don't think that the definition of "nuisance" can be stretched so far, otherwise I could legitimately object to the guy on the next boat having a large and unnecessarily ugly wife in public view on his back deck!

Given that boats generally have diesel engines which are not intrinsically quiet things it has to be accepted that their use will bring with it a certain amount of noise and fumes. Who is to determine whether or not this is "excessive"? Some people thrive on the sound of a slow revving vintage engine, popping away. The rules don't prevent the running of engines between the hours of 8am and 8pm, just because someone objects.

All I'm trying to say is that whatever the rules might say, there is always an obligation to consider your neighbour. Avoid causing annoyance where you can. Unfortunately some people don't seem to think it's of any importance to do that.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Thanks for the support Sue.At least we now know the name of the boat so can give it a wide berth,No wonder its whereabouts are kept a secret. Kind regards bizzard.

Hi

If you are referring to me, not that I think I am that worthy, then the location of my boat is not secret, we are CCers and CC as per the rules.

Just to save you worrying, at the moment I am at Swarkestone but for today only.

Generator has been running since 07:58 Hrs and will auto stop at 08:58 Hrs. :rolleyes: