Caravan/Camp Sites Adjacent to Canals/Marinas

alaskanuk

Featured Posts

Hi All

As some of you may know, Dawn and I are planning on becoming liveaboards in the not too distant future.

So, what we intend to do, Is now the weather is due to start improving, we'll be getting the caravan out, and spend w/e near canals and Marinas, in the hope of meeting up with some of you lovely people.

So, can anyone recommend any campsites very close to Canals or Marinas, specificly, the K&A, Thames, GU, Stort, Lee, Basingstoke, ie the Southern Network, or within say a three/four hours drive from London.

Many thanks

Dave & Dawn

Hi there,

You'll find that Nicolson's canal guides show camping and caravan sites, and we also use www.ukcampsite.co.uk. If I remember correctly from last summer, the Camping and Caravanning Club website also has a section specifically for sites near canals and rivers. Unfortunately, I'm at work at the moment, so I can't get on there to have a look for you!

Good luck.

Janet

As well as The Anchor at High Offey, which has recently been extended for caravan stay, there is The Wharf Tavern on the Shropshire Union as well, about three or four miles north from The Anchor. Which incidently actually has the site right on the canal bank, you could site your van within feet of the canal and is a popular mooring, where as The Anchor has the towpath and some high hedges inbetween.

However, The Anchor is far better for canal atmosphere and can be busy, I know because my parents stay there often and sometimes have trouble booking a spot, whilst I moor on the towpath. The Wharf Tavern is the only one of the two that does food, any food, although I would not recommend it personally. You can walk from The Anchor to The Junction at Norbury in about twenty minutes or less, but I wouldnt recommend that either for food or beer. Best take supplies.

I dont remember where but when we came up the GU there seemed to be loads of sites on the canal side?

If you want canal atmosphere and a lift for your propsed furture book The Anchor as suggested, you'll love it and confirm your decision.

There is a very good campsite next to the K&A canal at Sells Green, just off the A365 Melksham to Devizes road. Take the road off to the south next to the Three Magpies pub and the campsite is about 100 yards on the right. Another hundred yards and you cross the K&A where there are good moorings. The pub also has a small campsite but I am not sure what facilities it has. The pub serves quite decent pub type food, and if you are lucky there may be a live band (usually Jazz or 1960's) at the weekend.