Stanground lock

Top cat

Featured Posts

Looking at my Imray guide to the middle levels(known not to be infallible) I see that it notes the the max draft at Stanground lock as as 2ft 3in.

So I measured our boats draft by hooking out boat hook under the skeg and got 2ft 4" Oh dear !

As we hope to go that way soon I wonder

Is Imray accurate in that dimension ( I seem to recall some work was done on that lock recently)

If they are has anyone managed to drag a boat of that or greater depth through Stanground lock

The skeg on our boat sticks down a good 4" from the bottom of the hull in one big step so I wonder if we would just hang up rather than bounce over any cill or other underwater obstruction.

That measurement was done with a full diesel tank so I wonder if going through with a half or less full tank might just give us enough clearance . The tank is 300ltrs at teh back of a 17 ton 57 ft boat

Regards

TC

Don't panic, you'll be fine. We're 2'10" at the Skeg and can float in the lock if the level of King's Dyke is high enough. At 2'4" it will almost certainly be high enough, but if not, the fallback is to wind above the lock, go through backwards, and then wind again. There's enough space to wind a 60' boat below the lock.

Explanation: The lock used to be 40' long and 2'3" deep. It's subsequently been extended at the downstream end and the extension is deeper, so as long as you can put the deep end of the boat at the downstream end, a deeper skeg is not a problem as the skeg passes over the shallow part of the lock when it's full. If you're still worried, talk to Tina the lock-keeper.

HTH

MP.

there is no problem at stanground i've taken Communicator through 2'7" draught 70ft length, Fulborne has also been through 3'3" x 71'6" i think?

Fulbourne went through backwards, and had to reverse a mile or so below the lock to the nearest full-length winding hole.

MP.

Fulbourne went through backwards, and had to reverse a mile or so below the lock to the nearest full-length winding hole.

MP.

We certainly did!

The first time Fulbourne went through (and I was not on board on that occasion) they went through forwards and on emptying, grounded on the bottom of the lock. A bit of flushing from the top paddles got the boat moving forward, but it then stuck fast, blocking the bottom gates from closing! There was no alternative to LOTS more flushing and heaving on ropes etc. to get through.

We have since been through twice backwards. There is room to wind immediately above the lock, and as others have noted there is space for winding immediately below, but not for 70 footers. That said, the mile in reverse was some of the best reversing I have ever done. Kings Dyke is deep and we didn't get the normal paddle wheel effect which pulls the stern to one side. I was able to reverse back using the rudder to steer, and we pased a boat coming the other way without problem.

David

We certainly did!

The first time Fulbourne went through (and I was not on board on that occasion) they went through forwards and on emptying, grounded on the bottom of the lock. A bit of flushing from the top paddles got the boat moving forward, but it then stuck fast, blocking the bottom gates from closing! There was no alternative to LOTS more flushing and heaving on ropes etc. to get through.

We have since been through twice backwards. There is room to wind immediately above the lock, and as others have noted there is space for winding immediately below, but not for 70 footers. That said, the mile in reverse was some of the best reversing I have ever done. Kings Dyke is deep and we didn't get the normal paddle wheel effect which pulls the stern to one side. I was able to reverse back using the rudder to steer, and we pased a boat coming the other way without problem.

David

Wasn't there also a bit of ballast moving going on?