Thames Ring

GeoffS

Featured Posts

Definitely make sure the engine is ventilated - the last thing you need is a breakdown on the Tideway.  Also know the tide times and learn about Richmond Half-tide lock.  Take advice from the lockies at Brentford or Teddington. Brentford Lock is only usable at high tide.

First time I did it, I didn't know about Richmond.  Wondered why all these boats were jilling about below the bridge.  Then the weirs lifted and everyone went under the bridge.  Using the lock costs.  

Thanks guys, the engine is water cooled but I was thinking about keeping the air temperature in the engine bay down. I worry about most things! If I wasn't worrying I would worry.

On the front deck issue the drain holes are a bit superfluous nowadays as the cratch cover stops any water getting on to the deck. They are quite small, an inch or do across so I can easily put a temporary bung in them. The doors would be quite easy to seal too. 

I reckon Dotterel can do this. Maybe this September although we may decide to go to Froghall instead this year. 

Cheers Graham

You've resurrected a very old thread... There's no indication if you've researched the issue (other than being aware of wash from trip boats).

The only sensible time for a NB to go upstream is with the tide (it runs at around 6 1/2 knots - thus an underpowered boat = all NBs will actually go backwards...)

IIRC it's best to exit Limehouse lock at around low water.

Have a read of this publication -

https://www.boatingonthethames.co.uk/Cruising 

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

First time I did it, I didn't know about Richmond.  Wondered why all these boats were jilling about below the bridge.  Then the weirs lifted and everyone went under the bridge.  Using the lock costs.  

I've done that, I wanted to go through the lock to say I had done it but they made me wait for the barrier, only about half an hour I think

46 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The only sensible time for a NB to go upstream is with the tide (it runs at around 6 1/2 knots - thus an underpowered boat = all NBs will actually go backwards...)

IIRC it's best to exit Limehouse lock at around low water.

Are you saying that it's not possible for a narrowboat to punch the tides on the Thames? I will admit that stopping and turning to punch the falling ride when heading into Limehouse on a run down from Kingston was a bit slow but it wasn't impossible and I certainly wasn't anywhere near the max speed on our BMC 1.5.

3 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Are you saying that it's not possible for a narrowboat to punch the tides on the Thames? I will admit that stopping and turning to punch the falling ride when heading into Limehouse on a run down from Kingston was a bit slow but it wasn't impossible and I certainly wasn't anywhere near the max speed on our BMC 1.5.

Simplistically - Yes.

Very few 'standard', 'regular' NBs have enough power to push against a full falling tide on the Thames. They are only designed (shape / power / 'gearing' to push against canal flows.

My response was to someone who said "we want to go upstream from Limehouse"  - fine, you can do it at the right state of the tide.

FWIW

in our boating yoof, we hired a great boat from (what I called - irreverently  "the Wing Commander's hire base") We were doing the Thame Ring.

We left Limehouse a bit late. As we approached the end of Fulham Football club (I don't support Fulham or Chelsea), the engine began to get hot. Approaching Hammersmith Bridge the engine got very hot and we nearly got stuck on a sandbank. The last remaining bit of welly and a very hot engine saved the day.

On return to base I reported that the cooling was not up to river traffic. WinCo's daughter met us with incredulity.... Lovely boat but not suitable for the Thames Tideway.

I subsequently built my boat with freshwater cooling and more horses....

On 02/04/2019 at 10:16, Nick Mayne said:

My wife and I plan to take our narrowboat down the Grand Union and sail the Paddington Arm returning along the Thames to rejoin the Grand union...I think about 3 hours on the Thames. I have read about the suggestion of doing this anti-clockwise but wondered about the tide effects. Would I try to plan this around high tide so if tasking the anti-clockwise direction we would not be swept past the Limehouse entrance? How would I coordinate this with avoiding the tour ships which I hear create a great wash that would not be good for us. I would love to actually talk to someone who has done this and my email is nickbomayne@tiscali.co.uk (I have no problem revealing this) if someone would be kind enough to 'chat' other than on this blog. Another simplistic question is how far from the bank does one sail ie. a compromise between getting stuck and avoiding faster boats? Are there marker buoys? The anchor discussion is interesting but it would be hard to have it on the cramped back of our trad boat but would safety considerations mean no-one should pass inside the cabin....so my wife would have to be out the front manipulating the extremely heavy anchor?

Thanks, Nick

You could join the St Pancras Cruising Club convoys on 18 May or 30 August.

http://www.stpancrascc.co.uk/?q=cruising

You don't want to break down or overheat on the tideway - but (especially) the depart Limehouse direction means running with the tide so you don't need to push the engine any more than is necessary to maintain good steerage.

It needs respect of course - but retain some perspective.   It's now close to 50 years since I first made this trip with my Dad; he never used VHF and I only once saw him reach for the 10 shilling, ex Board of Trade life vest.

Life vest.jpg