Vetus Bowthruster Control Panel

Kiwipeter

Featured Posts

The light in the illuminated switch of my Vetus Bowthruster has expired. My assumption that I would just have to replace a bulb proved wrong and I guess I need one of these

http://www.vetus-shop.com/illuminated-switch-for-vetus-bpj-andamp-bps-thruster-panels-p-2670.html

Embarrassingly, I can't get the switch out of the control panel - loosening the knurled ring in the picture loosens up the switch which allows it to slide up and dowwn but I can't seem to get it out (without damage). Has anyone else managed to replace one??

Peter

Is it just the light that's expired or the switch function too? If it's just the light I wouldn't even bother replacing it since you generally can't see the light in daylight hours anyway.

Have you taken the panel off or are you trying to get the switch off with the panel in situ? If not, it's easy enough to get the panel off which will make it much easier to see what you're doing.

Edited by blackrose

Control panel off - tightening ring on light/switch fitting loosened off. It is in a wheelhouse so easy to see and it stops La Capitaine leaving it on all night!

I was under the impression that it times out by itself after 30 minutes - no?

The light in the illuminated switch of my Vetus Bowthruster has expired. My assumption that I would just have to replace a bulb proved wrong and I guess I need one of these

http://www.vetus-shop.com/illuminated-switch-for-vetus-bpj-andamp-bps-thruster-panels-p-2670.html

Embarrassingly, I can't get the switch out of the control panel - loosening the knurled ring in the picture loosens up the switch which allows it to slide up and dowwn but I can't seem to get it out (without damage). Has anyone else managed to replace one??

Peter

I've no experience of the thing in question, but are you sure that there's no bit that's meant to be prised off to change the bulb ? Where I work, we had some self-service machines with illuminated push buttons. Every time the bulbs went, we had to call out the engineer (at a cost !) as the button appeared to be a sealed unit. Once I had managed to see how he changed it, it was dead easy. All he did was to prise off the clolured cover and hey presto, underneath it was only a bog-standard 12V automotive push-fit bulb.. and anyway, if you think that you're going to have to buy another unit, there's no loss if you wreck this one trying to open it...

Edited by Pete of Ebor

I replaced my switch/light 2 years ago, as water ingress had damaged the switch. It is removed from underneath, so obviously you have to remove the unit to work behind it. It was a bit of a fiddle, but did come out eventually. I don't think there's a timer on the bulb, but it does allow for both 12 or 24 volt systems, so if its a bit dull it may be that its been connected to the 24 volt terminal on a 12 volt system. Try swapping it to ther other terminal.

• 11 years later...
On 03/07/2011 at 17:05, Kiwipeter said:

It is on a 24V circuit - thanks all. I will soldier on to the winter then get more aggressive :)

I know this is a very old thread but did you manage to fit a new switch or replace the bulb? Mine has ‘gone’ too and I see Vetus do actually sell the replacement bulbs for this switch. 

I too can’t see how the switch  comes out of the panel and I don’t want to break anything by getting over enthusiastic!

1 hour ago, Withywindle said:

I know this is a very old thread but did you manage to fit a new switch or replace the bulb? Mine has ‘gone’ too and I see Vetus do actually sell the replacement bulbs for this switch. 

I too can’t see how the switch  comes out of the panel and I don’t want to break anything by getting over enthusiastic!

@Kiwipeter last logged in to CWDF in April 2013.

17 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Fwiw I think Pete of ebor was right and I would think the coloured cap can be prised off to expose a bulb.  A bit of suitably sized plastic or rubber tube can be helpful to remove the bulb if it's a wedge type one. 

Thanks. Yes he was indeed right. After some very gentle prising the cover came off. Not so much a cap but more of a ‘plug’ shaped arrangement with a silicone seal beneath. The bulb was the real issue to get out. The rubber tube method failed in this case, not enough grip. In the end I used tweezers with the ends covered with two rubber float caps from my fishing tackle box to provide the grip.

The bulb is a tiny type 386 ‘midget groove’ 14v bulb. These are still available on the web as panel lights, however Vetus do also sell them in packs of five and quite reasonably for them! I’m near the Vetus dealer at Kings Lock, Middlewich, later today so intend to drop in and see if they have some. This was mainly why I was keen to get the bulb out, so I knew exactly what I was looking for. 

1D83575C-3090-4D96-850F-3B28214580EE.jpeg