Padworth Swing Bridge (27) K&A open or closed?

mick1964

Featured Posts

PLanning to go through to the Thames tomorrow from Newbury. Does anyone know the latest on Padworth Swing Bridge? I had heard that it was open again but have just read on KAcanalTimes that it is closed until further notice

Anyone in situ with up to date info?

Thanks

OK ignore last message - its open. :-)

Edited by mick1964

PLanning to go through to the Thames tomorrow from Newbury. Does anyone know the latest on Padworth Swing Bridge? I had heard that it was open again but have just read on KAcanalTimes that it is closed until further notice

Anyone in situ with up to date info?

Thanks

OK ignore last message - its open. :-)

It was shut twice in two days last week to my knowledge - the crew seem quick to fix it though as it only seems to get stuck, perhaps because something is out of alignment slightly, and when they get into the control box, the long bar containing the switches for each phase only needs a dab on the right one to force it through "the problem" and all is working again in a couple of minutes. Perhaps a sensor or limit switch needs adjusting....

Nick

I went through on friday evening, the engineers were having a go at the time, seems its becomming a bit of an issue, it's been breaking down on a regular basis since last summer. Surely it can't be that hard to fix it?

I went through on friday evening, the engineers were having a go at the time, seems its becomming a bit of an issue, it's been breaking down on a regular basis since last summer. Surely it can't be that hard to fix it?

Open yesterday, although occasionally giving problems; as is Tyle Mill bridge. It would seem a lack of maintenance as the remedy at Tyle Mill was to grease the wedges.

Problems at Padworth again last night, the road was closed due to a problem with the bridge, it may of course be open to boats.

On Monday (27th) evening the boat before us had operated the bridge but it did not close (this boat went through going east) after that the control panel had an emergency number to ring which I did about 5pm. The bridge was about 90% closed but hadn't lowered onto its abutments. The barriers were up and traffic was going acroos with the bridge rocking on its bearing. We tried to slow and warn trafic but after a while I rang 999 and got the police out who closed the road. We were on the west side of the bridge and after about 2 hours BW turned up. Using their own buttons in the locked contol cabinet they swung the bridge open and we took the opportunity to go through but they told us they would then be closing it so road traffic could use it but it would not be opened for boats until it was examined/repaired this morning - whether it has been I don't know. We are at Pangbourne now.

Mick

Edited by zodiak

On Monday (27th) evening the boat before us had operated the bridge but it did not close (this boat went through going east) after that the control panel had an emergency number to ring which I did about 5pm. The bridge was about 90% closed but hadn't lowered onto its abutments. The barriers were up and traffic was going acroos with the bridge rocking on its bearing. We tried to slow and warn trafic but after a while I rang 999 and got the police out who closed the road. We were on the west side of the bridge and after about 2 hours BW turned up. Using their own buttons in the locked contol cabinet they swung the bridge open and we took the opportunity to go through but they told us they would then be closing it so road traffic could use it but it would not be opened for boats until it was examined/repaired this morning - whether it has been I don't know. We are at Pangbourne now.

Mick

The same symptoms as on Thursday afternoon...

Nick

Mick

Thanks for that, it sounds like a real mess, there are big scrape marks on the bridge's 'radius' perhaps it's jamming just before closing and overloading the electrickery. Been going on for some time now, i've stood around a couple of times with different sets of engineers there, neither knew what the issue was (or indeed they wern't saying they knew) Seems a bit daft really.

I'm now moored a few miles from you, above Goring.

Paul

Thanks for that, it sounds like a real mess, there are big scrape marks on the bridge's 'radius' perhaps it's jamming just before closing and overloading the electrickery. Been going on for some time now, i've stood around a couple of times with different sets of engineers there, neither knew what the issue was (or indeed they wern't saying they knew) Seems a bit daft really.

I'm now moored a few miles from you, above Goring.

Paul

From the brief look I got of it, it seemed the lift pump needed to lift and hold it a bit higher whilst swinging and before it had reached the closed position, before dropping it back the inch or two to road level. A couple od weeks ago they had to lift it the last 1/2" (about a foot before the fully closed position) with a hydraulic bottle jack- presumably to help it over the

last lip before being in the correct position to lower.

Nick