Who weilds the windlass?

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

We have just returned to our home mooring at Cropredy and, as we had agreed that I would operate the 18 locks from Wigram's Turn, I couldn't help noticing that I was in a very small minority. We met other boats at every lock (there was a queue of seven boats at Marston Doles waiting to come down Napton Locks) and in every case bar one (where I think there may have been an all male crew), it was the female member of the crew that came along, windlass in hand, to work the lock while her male counterpart remained aboard holding the tiller (and sometimes shouting inappropriate instructions) - was this a typical sample or is it just a peculiarity of boats on the Oxford Canal at this time?

Edited by NB Alnwick

We have just returned to our home mooring at Cropredy and, as we had agreed that I would operate the 18 locks from Wigram's Turn, I couldn't help noticing that I was in a very small minority. We met other boats at every lock (there was a queue of seven boats at Marston Doles waiting to come down Napton Locks) and in every case bar one (where I think there may have been an all male crew), it was the female member of the crew that came along, windlass in hand, to work the lock while her male counterpart remained aboard holding the tiller (and sometimes shouting inappropriate instructions) - was this a typical sample or is it just a peculiarity of boats on the Oxford Canal at this time?

Are you sure?, you were a male in the minority operating locks...

Oi Graham, don't go upsetting things!

I get to chat with loads of women when working locks...

Richard

Me too but they generally have biceps too big for my taste - ;) ;) ;)

Our system has long been,

I do the heavy stuff

Jan does the intricate stuff...

Edited by MJG

Me too but they generally have biceps too big for my taste -

I still don't understand the question.

The way I see the question is; Why is it that there seems to be more women operating the locks than men? Are men too afraid that if they let go of the tiller, the women may prove to be better on the tiller? Or are the woomen just afraid of steering into locks etc?

I still don't understand the question.

Put simply, why is it that when I see a boat crewed by a man and a woman at a lock, it is usually the woman that steps ashore with the windlass to operate the lock while her partner remains at the tiller?

I did ask one woman this today after she told me that she had a back injury and was finding it difficult to raise the paddles. She said that her husband insists on steering the boat - in the lock? This was a narrow lock . . .

Generally speaking Jeannette and I take turns but shes not that keen on wide locks. However, she tells me she would rather operate the lock than steer as that way she gets to talk to people as MEN DO NOT TALK!

The way I see the question is; Why is it that there seems to be more women operating the locks than men? Are men too afraid that if they let go of the tiller, the women may prove to be better on the tiller? Or are the woomen just afraid of steering into locks etc?

See my edit -

I have no doubt what so ever that Jan is as good on the tiller as I am (possibly better actually as she has more experience at 'close quarters' than I do)

In the physical winding the paddles, opening the gates dept. I win hands down, every time..

Put simply, why is it that when I see a boat crewed by a man and a woman at a lock, it is usually the woman that steps ashore with the windlass to operate the lock while her partner remains at the tiller?

I did ask one woman this today after she told me that she had a back injury and was finding it difficult to raise the paddles. She said that her husband insists on steering the boat - in the lock? This was a narrow lock . . .

Then her husband is a wanker...

On all our trips, it seems that it's mostly the women who are sent to work the locks, whilst the menfolk remain on board.

Many women, (including me, for a while) don't have the confidence to handle the boats. It's not that they can't handle them, it's just that the menfolk have a tendency to think that they are better...

We've now realised that this is simply ridiculous...I'm perfectly capable of handling the boat, and now do so most of the time. My OCM is younger and fitter, and takes half the time that I would...he's happy to leap across open lock gates, whereas I would walk round the long way...

We had a month long trip from the Midlands down to the Thames and back...he worked most of the locks, I steered the boat...it worked well for us. On our last holiday on Carrie~Lou I only worked one lock...it made much more sense for him to do it.

I can enter a lock without touching the sides...but not when there's an audience!

Janet

I quite enjoy doing the locks, but sadly Margaret just won't take the helm/tiller. On our first boat, a 32 footer, she was really good at the steering bit and competent. Nightwatch is 55 foot and no matter what I say and do she will not take over the steering. Don't tell her this, I will whisper in case she is listening to me typing, she lacks a bit of confidence. I have suggested a days course, absolutely not. We actually have 'words' sometimes as I want a go at the locks. Nowt going I'm afraid. I sometimes walk up to the locks and poke my nose in but the hint is never taken up.

So, in answer to Grahams question, sometime the 'wife' prefers to 'do' the locking.

I have a photo of Margaret getting soaked doing a lock in the rain. I took it from the dry cratch. Didn't want the camera to get wet did I? nor water in me beer.

Martyn

I was scared to death when I was left in charge of our hire boat on our very first trip...I managed to enter through one open gate on a double lock without touching the sides....I haven't looked back since...

It's not rocket science, and nobody is going to worry if you get it wrong...

So, you bump a lock entrance or two...no problem! I'd like to see the person who can get it right first time, with an audience!

I've stopped worrying about what people think...

Janet

I'd love to share the job with my better half but despite encouragement and practical guidance from several people and as much practice as she wants, she cannot grasp the fundamentals of steering the boat, confusing her left with her right, both mentally and physically. She cannot get used to the fact that what she does with the tiller at the stern takes a short while to translate into what the front of the boat does and thinks that what she's just made the tiller do isn't working and promptly swings it the other way, worsening the situation that she finds herself in rather than correcting it.

If anyone can offer any suggestions as to how she may overcome these problems we'd be pleased to no.

As an aside, she can't ride a bike either (and doesn't drive a car). We've put this down to a co-ordination problem and wonder if this is why she has trouble steering the boat.

Generally speaking Jeannette and I take turns but shes not that keen on wide locks. However, she tells me she would rather operate the lock than steer as that way she gets to talk to people as MEN DO NOT TALK!

Preety much the same.

My wife always 'do's' the locks, mostly because she finds it boring waiting on her own while I do them.

She hates sitting at the bottom of the lock waiting for them to fill, she would rather chat/ wander around/ look at the view etc.

Having said that she is quite happy to tackle any flight or canal and all day sometimes.

I do worry about her back, because if she injure it we'll be in big trouble.

Alex

But sometimes they do, and sometimes the 'man' likes also to do the locks. Then there is potential for a punch up domestic incident.

Martyn

well yes of course..

This is a good thread.

I am very conscious of me not doing the locks, and I do get funny looks occasionally. I do have an 'out' of all this. I have sufferedmore than 4 heart attacks and had two triple by pass operations over the past twelve years. I could use that as an excuse, but to be honest I am probably fitter and better designed for the job than Margaret, so I won't.

Martyn

This is a good thread.

I am very conscious of me not doing the locks, and I do get funny looks occasionally. I do have an 'out' of all this. I have sufferedmore than 4 heart attacks and had two triple by pass operations over the past twelve years. I could use that as an excuse, but to be honest I am probably fitter and better designed for the job than Margaret, so I won't.

Martyn

a good post...lest we might judge others...

Anyway, what about that grammatical faux-pas in the thread title?

I before e except after c, innit

Richard

avvit,,,

Nit picker!

Janet

theres no flees on Richard,,,