Rebuilding a Premier Range

Featured Posts

Has anybody stripped and rebuilt a Premier range? Mine has a cracked chimney collar, a crack across the top plate between the hotplate above the firebox and the chimney collar mounting, and the fire bricks look as if they need re-seating. Not to mention that the pin that pulls the diverter plate is seized into the front casting and there's a small crack on the body below the oven door... Apart from that it's in fine fettle :blink:

In all honesty I didn't expect that amount of damage after only 5 years occasional use, the chimney has generally been capped when not in use and I can't imagine it's suffered that much thermal shock, but hey ho.

I see I can get a chimney collar from Midland Chandlers and I wonder if they do other parts at a price that isn't exorbitant? However, will this thing come apart and then go back together again?

I think this was a particularly good thread on the Premier stove

here.

Laurence Hogg gives some very useful info about the background to it and also gives tips on how it is assembled and methods of operation etc.

You've worried me now with your story of cracks appearing after ony 5 years! Hope mine doesn't do this!

Richard

I think this was a particularly good thread on the Premier stove

here.

Laurence Hogg gives some very useful info about the background to it and also gives tips on how it is assembled and methods of operation etc.

You've worried me now with your story of cracks appearing after ony 5 years! Hope mine doesn't do this!

Richard

Yes, I saw this thread with Laurence's information - until I read that I didn't realise that Midland were the assembler/supplier rather than just a retailer. I'll pop in to Braunston (when it's quiet again) and see what they can do. It's the hints and tips about taking it apart and rebuilding it that I'm after - Laurence saying they're built upside down makes me think there's a knack to it...

Has anybody stripped and rebuilt a Premier range? Mine has a cracked chimney collar, a crack across the top plate between the hotplate above the firebox and the chimney collar mounting, and the fire bricks look as if they need re-seating. Not to mention that the pin that pulls the diverter plate is seized into the front casting and there's a small crack on the body below the oven door... Apart from that it's in fine fettle :blink:

In all honesty I didn't expect that amount of damage after only 5 years occasional use, the chimney has generally been capped when not in use and I can't imagine it's suffered that much thermal shock, but hey ho.

I see I can get a chimney collar from Midland Chandlers and I wonder if they do other parts at a price that isn't exorbitant? However, will this thing come apart and then go back together again?

I have just been down this road. The smoke box between the top and the chimney pipe was cracked so I bought a new one, I then noticed a crack in the top, again over the fire box, closer examination found a crack in the front, then the heat diverter was seized, The oval collar I can't remember what came next but I just bought a new stove.

They come to pieces very easily, 4 nuts and bolts holt the top on and then 4 more holt the 4 sides to the base.

I have just been down this road. The smoke box between the top and the chimney pipe was cracked so I bought a new one, I then noticed a crack in the top, again over the fire box, closer examination found a crack in the front, then the heat diverter was seized, The oval collar I can't remember what came next but I just bought a new stove.They come to pieces very easily, 4 nuts and bolts holt the top on and then 4 more holt the 4 sides to the base.

This is my fear, I'll take the stove out and then find that I'm putting good money after bad, especially at Midland prices - £68 for the collar and Lord knows what it'll be for a top plate (if they even do one). I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this stove, especially as it's meant to be an improvement on previous designs. The problems you describe are exactly those of mine, which makes me think it's an inherent fault... And my stove hasn't been used in real anger either, not that that should make any difference. It's either designed to burn or it's not. There came no instructions that said it's only suitable for a 30% duty cycle or whatever.

Oh well, I guess it's worth a strip down to see what we're in for, regardless of its fate.

Mine has a cracked chimney collar, a crack across the top plate between the hotplate above the firebox and the chimney collar mounting,.....

IMO, the joint between roof collar and flue has to slide, or at least have some give in it to avoid this sort of damage.

Iain

That's a good point Iain. My chimney pipe is a single piece from roof collar to stove collar and looking at the amount of cement holding it (quite neatly) in the chimney collar, I can imagine some stress on the stove collar...

This is my fear, I'll take the stove out and then find that I'm putting good money after bad, especially at Midland prices - £68 for the collar and Lord knows what it'll be for a top plate (if they even do one). I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this stove, especially as it's meant to be an improvement on previous designs. The problems you describe are exactly those of mine, which makes me think it's an inherent fault... And my stove hasn't been used in real anger either, not that that should make any difference. It's either designed to burn or it's not. There came no instructions that said it's only suitable for a 30% duty cycle or whatever.

Oh well, I guess it's worth a strip down to see what we're in for, regardless of its fate.

Mine did about 5 bags of coal

That's a good point Iain. My chimney pipe is a single piece from roof collar to stove collar and looking at the amount of cement holding it (quite neatly) in the chimney collar, I can imagine some stress on the stove collar...

Mine was held at the top with a fillet of heat resistant red silicon. Before reading this I blamed the rain getting on the stove when boating.

Interesting. Have people had similar problems with the Epping, or is it a superior product (albeit very similar in design)?

Having looked at both stoves, operated an Epping once or twice and now own an untried Premier I have to say (sadly for me) that I think the Epping is quite a bit stronger.

However I rather prefer the looks of the Premier and like the fact that the firebox is on the left and thus away from the table cupboard.

This thread has been most useful as a wake up call for me to try to ensure the installation of my Premier will minimise any stress on it due to heat and boat collisions(!)

Obviously the flue has to be as free as possible at the roof collar to allow for expansion and I've got some ideas about supporting the stove on pillars made from mild steel angle welded to the steel "hearth". I hope to hide these behind the stove's cast legs which will therefore become solely decorative rather than load bearing.

Richard