Banbury Canal Day 2011

Weyland Yutani

Featured Posts

...anyone planning on going?

We just got our commercial mooring for the event in October. My wife is a qualified therapist who works the festival scene so she's going to be doing head massage on the big stern :)

I'll be knocking out some home made hot pea soup from the galley too, really looking forward to it :)

Just realised this sounds like an ad lol, not intended, just wondered if anyone plans to visit.

Windfola, I'm intrigued by your avatar. Is it John Barrowman or Avon from Blakes 7?

It will be our 5th year this year, we always enjoy the day although,being late in the season it is a bit prone to wet weather. Banbury seem to go out of their way to welcome the boaters. Look forwaard to meeting some of you there.

I did mention this to Nina my wife so head massages will be inside if the weather lets us down :)

• 2 months later...

Mrs. Athy and I should be coming along, though we'll leave the boat at Cropredy and come by car. I wondered where the "Berengarias" had disappeared to: used to exchange messages with them last year on, ahem, another canal forum, but they vanished.

• 3 weeks later...

Calm down dear, it's only a canal day. Are you bringing your boat?

Not this time no.

I was thinking of going but I think the weather is going to be to nice B)

I'll be cruising up to Aynho instead :captain:

:cheers:

What will you do with the rest of the weekend?! :cheers:

What a day it was! Big crowds in brilliant warm sunshine. we were pleased to bump into Miss Bones, the Nightwatches and the Berengarias. A tremendous range of stalls (I especially liked the Norman cheese merchant's stall from Coutainville), some intersting boats too - I would have liked to see the tug 'Oxford 1' under power from her Lister JPs, probably capable of tugging a water-skier.

• Greenie 1

What a day it was! Big crowds in brilliant warm sunshine. we were pleased to bump into Miss Bones, the Nightwatches and the Berengarias. A tremendous range of stalls (I especially liked the Norman cheese merchant's stall from Coutainville), some intersting boats too - I would have liked to see the tug 'Oxford 1' under power from her Lister JPs, probably capable of tugging a water-skier.

Was great to meet you too Mike, we also had a fantastic time in the sunshine. Was great meeting yourself, Ron and Mary from IWA and BonsaiChris on Fat Rascal - one of the highlights was the several childish but highly entertaining 'horn/whistle/siren' conversations between Rascal, Berengaria and the steam boat across the way :)

We stayed over Sunday evening and left this morning, and as an added bonus managed to get permission from BW to overstay a few days until our BSC has been sorted out :) Smiles all round!

Edited by Weyland Yutani

Can't be the same Banbury where we were threatened and abused by a gang of about 20 feral yoofs. Crap architecture crap town.Where is your Banbury pray?

Well, it is the sixth time we have taken part in the Banbury Canal Day, arriving early on Friday and leaving on the Monday. At no time during these visits have we experianced any problem at all. We have always been made very welcome and it is an event we look forward to each year.

As to horns and sirens, I think it must be mistaken identity, I would not be involved in such frivolity. It was lovely to see Bones again even without Boots, to meet Jason and Nina - Jen and Carol both say the Indian head Massage was magic and sorry to have missed a few other people, but we did spot a purple NB on the way down