Lister HA3 Year Of Build - Help Please

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I have found various information about Lister serial numbers.

Although in broad agreement in part, some give different explanatiuons of breaking down a serial number, and seem to expect more "characters" or "digits" than mine has......

So our engine bears the number.....

1664HA3M13

I think this means......

1664 - the 1664th engine of the type built that year

HA - Engine type

3 - Number of cylinders

M - Not sure, but I assume means built as a marine engine

13 - I think you add 50 to give a build date of 1963.

Can anyone confirm, please ?

In particular does the final two digit being 13 definitely mean I have a 1963 engine ?

(The build dates for HA3 engines have previously been stated to be 1958 to 1970, so 1963 is certainly in the right range).

Your serial number interpretation looks spot on to me & not in disagreement with any dating info I have ever found.

HA3M was marine version, with the "M" suffix being commonly used by Lister's to denote such.

Edited by richardhula

Interestingly someone away from here has come up with something slightly different.....

They suggest the "1664" at the beginning is actually an incrementing serial number of all engines made in the year indicated by the final two digits, (1963, in this case).

i.e. this was the 1664th engine Lister delivered in 1963, irrespective of type.

It doesn't really matter, but does anyone know a definitive source that settles it one way or another ?

(Either way I have what I really wanted - namely a year!).

Interestingly someone away from here has come up with something slightly different.....

They suggest the "1664" at the beginning is actually an incrementing serial number of all engines made in the year indicated by the final two digits, (1963, in this case).

i.e. this was the 1664th engine Lister delivered in 1963, irrespective of type.

It doesn't really matter, but does anyone know a definitive source that settles it one way or another ?

(Either way I have what I really wanted - namely a year!).

From what I learnt whilst on a course at Dursley your first understanding is correct. ;)