Should fishing alongside moorings for

Byeckerslike

Featured Posts

You don't have to read too many posts on this forum to be made aware that boaters are frequently mentioned for doing silly things, being grumpy, unaware or just plain stupid and we are probably all rightly accused of that from time to time. But this is about the lack of consideration and intolerance that so many fishermen and women seem to have - not all, but enough to make it a hot topic of debate.

What I don't undertand is why they would put themselves in the firing line for confrontation with boaters by fishing at strategic points which are bound to cause problems for the boaters?

But if you wanted to share your costs (like anglers do when they form associations) you could, by forming a syndicate to share costs.

What?

We can all form a syndicate and just buy one licence for all our boats?

Any angler that wants exclusive year round use of just a small part of the system...

You mean like a mooring?

would need to pay a lot more than a boater who can navigate all the available waters for the relatively low cost of a licence.

Not related.

How much is a fishing licence? About 30 quid?

A fishing licence gives you no rights to fish just the right to use the equipment (I think) and at least with a boat licence you get some water to float it on included in the deal.

If I wanted the exclusive fishing rights to a small section of the K&A i'd have to pay £3-£5k perhaps for 3 years of rights, I'd be expected to stock the fish if needed, maintain the swims, bailif the water etc etc, that's why associations are formed so anglers can afford access to waters. The same goes for syndicate owned boats, an expensive hobby made more accessable by sharing.

Paul

What?

We can all form a syndicate and just buy one licence for all our boats?

You mean like a mooring?

Not related.

How much is a fishing licence? About 30 quid?

You don't just pay for the license though, you need the license yes but you also need a permit to fish the section of canal you are on, so it is the same as although you have a license for your boat you would still need to pay an extra £6 a night to moor your boat at Llangollen.

Imagine having to pay that £6 every time you stopped somewhere away from your home mooring.

Anyway I'm another one who can see it from both sides as I boat and occasionally fish.

Can't really speak from an anglers point of view on the canals as the only canal I have fished is the Sankey canal and that has no boats on it.

Boat can speak from a boater point of view.

Only ever boated through one match on the W&B canal, it was a pretty big match stretching all the way from lock 11 to lock 1 in Worcester, and the majority of the anglers where friendly.

Have also found most anglers we have passed are pretty much a friendly bunch, we are among those on here who treat anglers the way we would want to be treated ourselves, with a wave and a hello have you caught many and most reply in a friendly manor asking where we are heading for.

Have come across the odd grumpy one but have also come across the odd grumpy boater as well, especially moored up private boats who when they see you greeting them from a hire boat turn their back and pretend they have not seen or heard you.

Yes we have had problems getting onto lock landings because of anglers fishing from them but we have had the same problem with boats moored on or to close to them as well and in one instance there was an angler one end of a lock landing and a boat moored the other leaving us a 20ft gap to get a 52ft boat in to land the lock worker

If I wanted the exclusive fishing rights to a small section of the K&A i'd have to pay £3-£5k perhaps for 3 years of rights

You're comparing apples with bananas here.

How much would it cost for the exclusive boating rights to the same section of canal? ie no one else is allowed to boat on it.

Until anglers start paying similar amounts to what boaters pay I say sod 'em. And if that completely drives them all off the canal then so much the better. They're flaming nuisance.

How much would it cost for the exclusive boating rights to the same section of canal? ie no one else is allowed to boat on it.

Until anglers start paying similar amounts to what boaters pay I say sod 'em. And if that completely drives them all off the canal then so much the better. They're flaming nuisance.

At least they pay something which is more than can be said for cyclists, walkers and dog walkers.

And it could be argued that anglers have contributed towards the canal system via taxation.

How much would it cost for boating groups to buy/rent the fishing rights from BW? Are there any instances of this happening?

Why would they want to? To stop grumpy fishermen using their canal????

Richard

Why would they want to? To stop grumpy fishermen using their canal????

Richard

If people don't want fishing on 'their' section then I would have thought the best way would be for them to rent the rights. The income is not lost to BW and the boaters who have bought the rights have control over who fishes there - if anyone.

The reason I ask is that I'm sure I remember hearing that this had happened somewhere - but can't remember or don't know know the details.

The way I think of the licience situation is that you pay the E.A. for the right to put your hook in the water, but the fishing club for the right to sit on the bank.

Hope this helps.

JD.

Always thought it was the E.A. for the right to go equiped with rod, line, and hook. and the club for the right to put the hook in the water.

I am not now, nor have I ever been a fish botherer.

But shouldn't we all adopt a bit more of a live and let live approach? As long as the angler doesn't expect me not to use a lock landing or ammenity mooring, then I just don't give a carp.

Or is that a bit too mamby pamby Liberal??

Hang he!!

You know, some of you boaters are even more grumpy than the anglers you're moaning about!

I can see it from both sides...I'm both a boater and and angler...passionate about both, so take my chances to do either or both whenever I get the opportunity.

If the anglers are in a competition, then it will have been organised by a club which will have paid for the fishing rights on that stretch. We don't get to fish matches on canals for free you know! The club should have set rules for fishing near locks, sanitation stations, moorings etc so as not to inconvenience boaters...the anglers should know to move/retrieve their keepnets/tackle etc if a boat needs to use the facilities...it's just one of those things that we have to put up with when canal fishing. It's an inconvience for the angler, but it's just something that we have to live with....if they're causing a problem, then contact the controlling club.

It would be good if we could remember that canals nowadays are meant for everyone...boaters, anglers, horse riders, walkers and god forbid....even cyclists and dog walking, would you believe?

A bit of give and take on both sides would go a long way to making it a better place for all of us.

Now, where's my popcorn???

Janet

Hi Janet,

Have you ever tried using the towpath when there's a dangling competition is going on? 99.9% of canal danglers now use poles, to reach the elusive far bank, and feed their swim with ultimate precision, the only snag is that poles need an unbelievable amount of gear. The danglers end up totlly monopolising the towpath, making progress, even for a pedestrian very hard; if you are riding a bike forget it!

These "GB's" are making living side by side almost intolerable!

Rob

Edited by Byeckerslike

Here, Here! I totally agree!

Rob

How many boating groups organise days where members don wet suits and wade in canals pulling out rubbish.

I know of at least one fishing club that does

Several canal societies, IWA branches and WRG have work party groups which clear rubbish from open canals, as well as helping to restore derelict waterways. See for example this from a couple of months ago.

David

So much anger!! Do fishermen scare you :D ??

LOL

I find it rather anoying when I'm expected to man handle a 25 ton boat, perhaps in poor wind conditions, onto a lock mooring, with a side current from a bywash making it more difficult, and having to do this in a stupid manner because some prick is dangling worms in the canal where I need to get my boat. They simply shouldn't be there yet they usually are.

How many boating groups organise days where members don wet suits and wade in canals pulling out rubbish.

Plenty. Individuals have also organised their own towpath tidies and rubbish clearing sessions, publicising their activities here.

Also, you may not have heard of it, put there's a small group of people called the Waterway Recovery Group that have been known to pull the odd carrier bag of rubbish out of the cut, from time to time.

LOL

I find it rather anoying when I'm expected to man handle a 25 ton boat, perhaps in poor wind conditions, onto a lock mooring, with a side current from a bywash making it more difficult, and having to do this in a stupid manner because some prick is dangling worms in the canal where I need to get my boat. They simply shouldn't be there yet they usually are.

I just ask them to move, they always have for me, I just explain that if their keepnet ends up wrapped around my prop it's not going to be me that's going to get wet fixing it.

I don't realy mind them fishing wherever they want (lock moorings etc) as long as they get out of the way in a civilised manner, quickly, when asked. If they appear a little tardy, I just let my two dogs off, they love most baits!!

Paul