Should fishing alongside moorings for

Byeckerslike

Featured Posts

Sorry all,

But ever since BW dispensed with the services of their warden Hazel, at Cosgrove, I have noticed more and more "Anglers / fishermen" in competitions along the moorings up to the water and sanitation point at Cosgrove.

I'm sure that whilst Hazel was employed as warden, there was never any noticeable clusters of "grumpy bastards" fishermen.

This weekend (12/06/2011) they were there, dangling their maggots into the cut, the last "GB", was just on the last foot of towpath, before the concrete slabs in front of the water point, his keepnet was on the very joint, making mooring up very tricky. This "GB" had the nerve to mutter about taking care of his tackle.

I'm sure that there should be rules and regulations that ban fishing along side sanitation points.

Rob

Anyone who's fishing where I need to be, whether that be a lock, water point or elsan point, simply does not exist. They know what it's there for; fine if they choose to fish there but by doing so they tacitly agree to move if a boater needs to use those facilities.

Anyone who's fishing where I need to be, whether that be a lock, water point or elsan point, simply does not exist. They know what it's there for; fine if they choose to fish there but by doing so they tacitly agree to move if a boater needs to use those facilities.

I am very curtious to fishermen and run a one man charm offensive to try and make the gb's respond in a positive manner. Its part of an ongoing game and my success rate is over 50%. However, lock landings and water points are boaters territory and I am with Sarah on this - I am blind to them and they can move or lose their tackle. :captain:

I am very curtious to fishermen and run a one man charm offensive to try and make the gb's respond in a positive manner. Its part of an ongoing game and my success rate is over 50%. However, lock landings and water points are boaters territory and I am with Sarah on this - I am blind to them and they can move or lose their tackle. :captain:

Two man. I'm fighting the good fight too.

"Morning, have you caught anything?"

Richard

"Not even a tiddler"

"Good"

You misunderstand. I don't care what they've caught. In fact, as far as I can tell, no angler ever catches anything. It's just an excuse to get out of the house, or to buy some fancy equipment

Richard

You know, some of you boaters are even more grumpy than the anglers you're moaning about!

I can see it from both sides...I'm both a boater and and angler...passionate about both, so take my chances to do either or both whenever I get the opportunity.

If the anglers are in a competition, then it will have been organised by a club which will have paid for the fishing rights on that stretch. We don't get to fish matches on canals for free you know! The club should have set rules for fishing near locks, sanitation stations, moorings etc so as not to inconvenience boaters...the anglers should know to move/retrieve their keepnets/tackle etc if a boat needs to use the facilities...it's just one of those things that we have to put up with when canal fishing. It's an inconvience for the angler, but it's just something that we have to live with....if they're causing a problem, then contact the controlling club.

It would be good if we could remember that canals nowadays are meant for everyone...boaters, anglers, horse riders, walkers and god forbid....even cyclists and dog walking, would you believe?

A bit of give and take on both sides would go a long way to making it a better place for all of us.

Now, where's my popcorn???

Janet

• Greenie 4

We boated through a competition in Darlaston on the Monday after the BCN challenge, which must have been a surprise to them. I don't suppose they see boats up there

Nearly all were cheerful, and concerned about how many boats were coming. I checked with the first few if I was doing the right speed, and if I was in the right part of the cut (well towards the towpath side). They were happy with what I was doing, and pleased I had asked.

There was only one GB right at the end "How many F***g boats will be coming" " about ten" "F**k me" "You'll get them spread out" "That's F***g worse grumble, mutter"

So that's twenty odd fishermen who, although concerned about the boats coming, were cheerful (even if they weren't catching anything in the rain), and one misery. Sounds like a fairly representative cross-section of any group of people

Richard

The anglers in the Midlands are by far the nicest bunch we've ever come across...we took Carrie~Lou out for a few days over Easter and met loads of them. We even woke up one Sunday morning to find that we were stuck in the middle of a rather large fishing match, with one guy pegged just a couple of feet from our stern...and another next to the pointy end! We had a great chat as I tried to find out what tactics they were using ready for my own assault later in the day! They acknowledged that we'd buggered up their fishing plans with our mooring, but they'd worked round us and not a single one had any complaints.

Without exception, we got a nod, smile or wave from every single one as we moved off, and a few very friendly conversations ensued along the way. We took our cue from them, and stayed as close as we could to the bank as it was obvious they were fishing the offside margins.

Not all anglers are grumpy bastards!

Janet

We boated through a competition in Darlaston on the Monday after the BCN challenge, which must have been a surprise to them. I don't suppose they see boats up there

Nearly all were cheerful, and concerned about how many boats were coming. I checked with the first few if I was doing the right speed, and if I was in the right part of the cut (well towards the towpath side). They were happy with what I was doing, and pleased I had asked.

There was only one GB right at the end "How many F***g boats will be coming" " about ten" "F**k me" "You'll get them spread out" "That's F***g worse grumble, mutter"

So that's twenty odd fishermen who, although concerned about the boats coming, were cheerful (even if they weren't catching anything in the rain), and one misery. Sounds like a fairly representative cross-section of any group of people

Richard

It's a dream of mine to take a horse boat through a fishing match.

It's a dream of mine to take a horse boat through a fishing match.

I know a woman who took a mad Shetland pony through a fishing match, once.

They were very courteous, as they moved all their tackle as near to the water as possible, to avoid the stampeding pair.

As I was towing her boat I couldn't really pretend I didn't know them but, fortunately, the anglers recognised that their predicament was more temporary than mine.

It can be a pain when I am out cycling if the anglers have their rods over the towpath, but I have never had anyone really grumpy about having to move. No grumpier than me for having to wait. I have heard lots of people complain about boats mooring in bridge holes, by locks, water points etc though.

The club should have set rules for fishing near locks, sanitation stations, moorings etc so as not to inconvenience boaters...the anglers should know to move/retrieve their keepnets/tackle etc if a boat needs to use the facilities...

They shouldn't be within 25 yards of a lock landing anyway, should they?

You misunderstand. I don't care what they've caught. In fact, as far as I can tell, no angler ever catches anything. It's just an excuse to get out of the house, or to buy some fancy equipment

Richard

agreed! (oops, here comes my husband - fishing season starts Thursday!)

:rolleyes:

If the anglers are in a competition, then it will have been organised by a club which will have paid for the fishing rights on that stretch. We don't get to fish matches on canals for free you know!

Yeah, about thripprence. When they pay more like £800 a year per person they will then have the right to tell boaters where they should and shouldn't be.

It would be good if we could remember that canals nowadays are meant for everyone...boaters, anglers, horse riders, walkers and god forbid....even cyclists and dog walking, would you believe?

But as boaters are the only ones who really pay for them, the rest can f*ck off.

Yeah, about thripprence. When they pay more like £800 a year per person they will then have the right to tell boaters where they should and shouldn't be.

But if you wanted to share your costs (like anglers do when they form associations) you could, by forming a syndicate to share costs. Any angler that wants exclusive year round use of just a small part of the system would need to pay a lot more than a boater who can navigate all the available waters for the relatively low cost of a licence.

BW could produce a fishing permit that covers ALL BW waters, forget about the clubs and associations just sell permits directly to the piscatorial persons. That would be simple for BW to manage and i would think, perhaps, more profitable. It could always be included in the national rod licence for say perhaps an extra £25 per licence, good income stream really

Paul

You know, some of you boaters are even more grumpy than the anglers you're moaning about!

I can see it from both sides...I'm both a boater and and angler...passionate about both, so take my chances to do either or both whenever I get the opportunity.

If the anglers are in a competition, then it will have been organised by a club which will have paid for the fishing rights on that stretch. We don't get to fish matches on canals for free you know! The club should have set rules for fishing near locks, sanitation stations, moorings etc so as not to inconvenience boaters...the anglers should know to move/retrieve their keepnets/tackle etc if a boat needs to use the facilities...it's just one of those things that we have to put up with when canal fishing. It's an inconvience for the angler, but it's just something that we have to live with....if they're causing a problem, then contact the controlling club.

A bit of give and take on both sides would go a long way to making it a better place for all of us.

Now, where's my popcorn???

Janet

And if those who rent the fishing rights provided adequate bailiffing to enforce the rules there would be very, very little friction between boaters and anglers. However experience shows me they do not and have little regard for the regulations that limit their activity.

I am still annoyed that the organisers of a national competition had the temerity to instruct some European hire boaters to move off properly signed visitor moorings very early in the morning so they could peg the moorings. Pity they did not try it with me because my engine would have been running all day and I would be playing loud music. When challenged their excuse was "we rent the fishing here". Also seen on the same day competitors catapulting ground bait onto and around boats moored on the opposite bank - IN FULL VIEW OF SCRUITINEERS.

I have never seen or heard of a boater who has tried to moor up in the middle of a match and across pegs except in a real emergency. I have seem too many to count anglers obstructing lock landings, water point and moorings.

It is give and take but as far as I can see the give is virtually all on one side and the take is on the other. Get your bailiffs out and enforce the rules!

I have never seen or heard of a boater who has tried to moor up in the middle of a match and across pegs except in a real emergency. I have seem too many to count anglers obstructing lock landings, water point and moorings.

It is give and take but as far as I can see the give is virtually all on one side and the take is on the other. Get your bailiffs out and enforce the rules!

From an anglers view I can tell you there are some very ignorant boaters about and from a boaters view it's very evident that anglers have their own problems 'in house' that need to be dealt with.

The average angler has as much in common with their problem, as the average boater has with the boaters equivilent bad boys and girls.

There are good and bad in both camps. Most anglers are OK and most boaters are OK as well

Bailiffs are only part time, mostly unpaid, volunteers, I can't remember the last time I was asked for my permits so there must be some room for improvment there.

Last weekend on the K&A between Great Bedwyn and Woolhampton I came across 3 boats moored up overnight(or perhaps longer) on lock moorings & one moored on one of the disabled anglers platforms at New Mills. The pound below Kintbury was 2" down due to the lock not being left set correctly.

At Thatcham, the long pound above the Turf lock had been drained almost dry overnight due to boaters not setting the lock paddles, I suspect we just deal with these sort of boater based problems by just shrugging our shoulders and a bit of a mumble, but if it were anglers causing the same damage, there would be an uproar.

Paul