I want one of these lock windlasses ! ! !

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

I think its 100% carbon, I know its been in use and its not chipped while using it.

That's interesting. I wonder if it'll still hold up as well after a few years?

I guess even if it doesn't, the advantage of the light weight might make it worth being a regular purchase.

Tony

I tried that. It just made my trousers fall down, frightened all the young ladies who were helping with the lock and tripped me into a nettle bed

If I need two hands and carrying a windlass I just put it through one of the belt loops on my trousers (usually the one in the middle at the back) or over my shoulder with the handle down the back of my neck inside my clothing.

I`ve mentioned before that I`d like a windlass with more than one set of keys, but the experiences on our last holiday (on the Oxford canal) make me even more keen to get hold of a windlass like the one below. Some of the paddles were really heavy, so I was using our long handled windlass to wind, I don`t know how the ladies managed them, I`m pretty fit and I was struggling. On the other hand, some paddle gear (not the tighter ones, thank God) didn`t have the clearance to take a long handled windlass, so I had to go back to the boat to get the short one ! Frustrating.

Interestingly whilst chatting at locks I asked a few people if they thought the multi key windlass was a good idea, all of them thought so, or said they did anyway !

If nobody knows where I can get one, has anyone got the phone number of Walsh Implements ?

Maybe they`d be interested in making some ?

wp524b7e3b.jpg

I've been told that Wilton Marina have them.

I tried a carbon windlass today much lighter than an ally one warm to the touch was comfertable to use.

And you can put it in the stove if you run out of wood :rolleyes:

N

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

I did see a lady out on the Shroppie using one of these :

https://britmarine.net/product/nova-windlass-4-head/

I reckon I`ll get my wife to buy me one for my Birthday. I do have a long throw windlass but it hardly ever gets used because you can`t be sure there`ll be room to swing it and if there isn`t you have to walk back to the boat to fetch a "normal" one, thus I don`t usually bother with it.

I still reckon having 6 heads would be even better (close ones for winding down a paddle) !

13 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

I reckon I`ll get my wife to buy me one for my Birthday. I do have a long throw windlass but it hardly ever gets used because you can`t be sure there`ll be room to swing it and if there isn`t you have to walk back to the boat to fetch a "normal" one, thus I don`t usually bother with it.

I still reckon having 6 heads would be even better (close ones for winding down a paddle) !

Cheap, nasty things which because of the open frame construction cause damage and wear to the tapeted spindles.

All those made of 2 pieces of flat bar are nasty.

I use a lovely long throw light aluminium windlass (with several jubilee clips adorning it so it can be retrieved if it goes swimming) and if there isn't room to swing it, I just do a succession of three quarter turns. Perhaps quicker than going back to the boat for another windlass?

haggis

12 minutes ago, haggis said:

(with several jubilee clips adorning it so it can be retrieved if it goes swimming)

Do folk really fart about with a magnet on a string doing this?  I think we have 6 windlasses,  2 steel that came with the boat, 2 Aluminium which I bought for about 15 quid apiece and 2 more steel ones I found at locks.  I've yet to drop one in the cut (or even leave one behind iirc - but I will lose 6 in very short order now, obviously!) but, if and when I do, I can't imagine using up good weather or enduring bad weather whilst I do the magnetic equivalent of 'pin the tale on the donkey'.  Am I wide of the mark here?

Now if I'd paid £79.99 for a windlass, I might change my view! :D

32 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Do folk really fart about with a magnet on a string doing this?  I think we have 6 windlasses,  2 steel that came with the boat, 2 Aluminium which I bought for about 15 quid apiece and 2 more steel ones I found at locks.  I've yet to drop one in the cut (or even leave one behind iirc - but I will lose 6 in very short order now, obviously!) but, if and when I do, I can't imagine using up good weather or enduring bad weather whilst I do the magnetic equivalent of 'pin the tale on the donkey'.  Am I wide of the mark here?

Now if I'd paid £79.99 for a windlass, I might change my view! :D

They are MINE. Give them back!

I have left two behind on the grass at locks in quick succession recently. One was nowhere to be seen when I got back there half an hour later, the other I didn't bother to go back for as it was a half mile walk each way by the time I got to the next lock and realised, and it was slashing with rain.  

Making an extended windlass out of two existing ones is a reasonable idea. I may have a go if I have two non-galvanised old ones. However I think I would add just the smaller hole of one windlass to the end of the other one. I seldom need the larger size and adding too much weigh would make the thing unwieldy.

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They are MINE. Give them back!

I have left two behind on the grass at locks in quick succession recently. One was nowhere to be seen when I got back there half an hour later, the other I didn't bother to go back for as it was a half mile walk each way by the time I got to the next lock and realised, and it was slashing with rain.  

No they're not - I've had them ages! :P  I don't just grab 'em and leggit by the way: these were the ones I've found and couldn't find anyone they may have belonged to.

3 hours ago, haggis said:

yes! If it is my favourite windlass I certainly would. 

Haggis

Well, it must be quite a special one Haggis and I hope it appreciates how lucky it is to have you too. :hug: