I want one of these lock windlasses ! ! !

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

where's the starting handle sprocket for a 1938 Austin 16 . . . . . come on - let's be thorough!:lol:

that's in the end of the lump hammer bit, just hard to see from the side! :cheers:

just don't try starting a bolinder with it, it will kneecap you! :lol:

Edited by hamsterfan

I want one that is truely multi functional. How about this one? ;)

windlass.jpg

How big are the gaps between your teeth ?

They do?

Since when??

As for having a really short throw, I reckon the effort you'd save would be balanced out by the extra weight of the windlass.

For gate paddles it's possible to hold the top shaft across the gate in your hand and release the catch, using just enough grip to let the paddle drop gently. Make sure it does shut, though.

But whilst the windlass is in use it hasn`t (effectively) got any weight !

Between the end of the sleeve and the retaining collars.

Richard

It may be theoretically possible, but I haven`t actually ever done that with mine.

Most things are theoretically possible. It`s theoretically possible to get thrown out of the window of a train in an accident. So, the Elf & Safety brigade have decided we should all now have smaller windows on trains.

Personally, I`d rather have a decent view out, and take my chances...... And I suspect most people would agree with me.

Having said all that, I accept that the chances of nipping ones fingers on a lock windlass are rather higher than being thrwon out of a train window !

Edited by Justin Smith

It may be theoretically possible, but I haven`t actually ever done that with mine.

Most things are theoretically possible. It`s theoretically possible to get thrown out of the window of a train in an accident. So, the Elf & Safety brigade have decided we should all now have smaller windows on trains.

The smaller size of Pendolino windows has nothing to do with being thrown out of one, though.

It is due to the need for greater structural integrity, of the carriage, during a derailment and roll-over, at the higher speeds the Pendolino, theoretically, travels at.

The idea is not to save an individual's life, should they be unfortunate enough to be thrown towards a window, but to save everyone's on the train's life, should a high speed derailment occur (far more likely).

Edited by carlt

<snip>

<snip>

I'm not speaking from a theoretical point of view. I'm relating all the experiences of the people who I have met who have one and complain that it pinches the skin on their fingers between the sleeve and the end collars.

I don't use ours, preferring my own windlass

Richard

l_lockkey1.jpg

Double length Windlass

£19.50

This is the 'Jack of all trades' windlass. It can be used as a standard length windlass or a long one, according to the circumstances. Galvanised finish.

Canalshoponline

We got one like this from Sowerby Bridge for the Rochdale Canal - too late for where it would have been really useful on the Huddersfield narrow. They're great for very stiff lock gear but so heavy that I would not want to carry it around for long. It lives under the bed on the boat and has hardly ever been used.

Arthur

• 2 weeks later...

The smaller size of Pendolino windows has nothing to do with being thrown out of one, though.

It is due to the need for greater structural integrity, of the carriage, during a derailment and roll-over, at the higher speeds the Pendolino, theoretically, travels at.

The idea is not to save an individual's life, should they be unfortunate enough to be thrown towards a window, but to save everyone's on the train's life, should a high speed derailment occur (far more likely).

I`m aware of the fact that the main reason for the smaller windows on the Pendolino is to increase its structural strength, but I`ve definitely read somewhere that either Virgin or Alstom were putting the reduced risk of being thrown out of windows as a positive for the appallingly claustrophobic atmosphere that is a Virgin Pendolino.

Incidentally, Pendolinos are limited to 125mph in this country, and Mk3 coaches have been travelling at that speed, in great safety I should add, since the mid 1970s. I know that Pendolinos have a design speed of 140mph but the BR Mk4 coach has as well, and that`s got a perfectly acceptable ambience. Well it did have till they refurbished them with higher backed seats and less legroom..... To be fair to Pendolinos, they may be claustrophobic, but they`ve got more legroom than most British trains !

I`m aware of the fact that the main reason for the smaller windows on the Pendolino is to increase its structural strength, but I`ve definitely read somewhere that either Virgin or Alstom were putting the reduced risk of being thrown out of windows as a positive for the appallingly claustrophobic atmosphere that is a Virgin Pendolino.

Incidentally, Pendolinos are limited to 125mph in this country, and Mk3 coaches have been travelling at that speed, in great safety I should add, since the mid 1970s. I know that Pendolinos have a design speed of 140mph but the BR Mk4 coach has as well, and that`s got a perfectly acceptable ambience. Well it did have till they refurbished them with higher backed seats and less legroom..... To be fair to Pendolinos, they may be claustrophobic, but they`ve got more legroom than most British trains !

The HSTs running from Bath to London have got terrific leg room, in fact, my laptop on the tray table can be too far away sometimes!

The Virgin Voyagers are dreadful, cramped, too small etc. I know a lady who decided she had to learn to drive after travelling on one when pregnant. The Pendolinos much better, but our signalling can not, at present, handle more than 125mph. That fact that the manufacturer spouts utter tripe in their marketing speak doesn't justify critisism of the real reason for the design. I think it was a Pendolino that came off near Penrith, and stayed intact. The fact that Mark iii and mark iv are rated to 140mph doesn't necessarily mean they are as safe.

Going back to your windlass, my hands are 9 inch span, big, but not that big, and when I need two hands (and if you need long throw you probably do need two hands, my bunched hands are too big for any roller

You still seem to be missing the point that your "very short throw" has the sockets closer to the handle than to the other end, which offers very little advantage and may even preclude use on some paddles, as the other end falls fowl of a balance beam (which is the problem with long throw on K and A bottom paddles). I heard it from Portland Marina at Ashton U L that the manufacturer of Big Bertha, our double throw windlass, wouldn't let Shire Cruisers sell them to the public any more after he had a complaint about someone clonking their chin when using the short throw holes

The HSTs running from Bath to London have got terrific leg room, in fact, my laptop on the tray table can be too far away sometimes!

The Virgin Voyagers are dreadful, cramped, too small etc. I know a lady who decided she had to learn to drive after travelling on one when pregnant. The Pendolinos much better, but our signalling can not, at present, handle more than 125mph. That fact that the manufacturer spouts utter tripe in their marketing speak doesn't justify critisism of the real reason for the design. I think it was a Pendolino that came off near Penrith, and stayed intact. The fact that Mark iii and mark iv are rated to 140mph doesn't necessarily mean they are as safe.

Going back to your windlass, my hands are 9 inch span, big, but not that big, and when I need two hands (and if you need long throw you probably do need two hands, my bunched hands are too big for any roller

You still seem to be missing the point that your "very short throw" has the sockets closer to the handle than to the other end, which offers very little advantage and may even preclude use on some paddles, as the other end falls fowl of a balance beam (which is the problem with long throw on K and A bottom paddles). I heard it from Portland Marina at Ashton U L that the manufacturer of Big Bertha, our double throw windlass, wouldn't let Shire Cruisers sell them to the public any more after he had a complaint about someone clonking their chin when using the short throw holes

The Mk3 and Mk4 coaches are very safe. Pendolino coaches may be marginally safer, but, as with all Health & Safety edicts there`s a price to pay. Bearing in mind that train travel is already unbelievably safe (you`re more likely to die from an asteroid impact than a 100mile train journey....) I`d rather have bigger windows thanks very much.

To those who say, "No way, safety is everything !" I say, why have any windows at all ? That`d be even safer ! Why not introduce seat belts on trains, and make them compulsory ? That`d be safer still.

Except it wouldn`t, because it`d put a lot of people off travelling by train, and they`d then just get killed on the (far more dangerous) roads !

On the lock winder thing, the very close keys would only be for winding down paddles, and if by some chance there wasn`t room for it, then just use the middle set !

There`s a big difference in leg room on even the same model of train, according to who has refurbished it. I agree that there`s more leg room of a FGW HST than on a refurbed Cross Country one. They`re crap. I may have long legs but my knees only just fit in, awful. I`ve done some research on railway seat leg room, it`s on the link.

The Mk3 and Mk4 coaches are very safe. Pendolino coaches may be marginally safer, but, as with all Health & Safety edicts there`s a price to pay. Bearing in mind that train travel is already unbelievably safe (you`re more likely to die from an asteroid impact than a 100mile train journey....) I`d rather have bigger windows thanks very much.

To those who say, "No way, safety is everything !" I say, why have any windows at all ? That`d be even safer ! Why not introduce seat belts on trains, and make them compulsory ? That`d be safer still.

Except it wouldn`t, because it`d put a lot of people off travelling by train, and they`d then just get killed on the (far more dangerous) roads !

On the lock winder thing, the very close keys would only be for winding down paddles, and if by some chance there wasn`t room for it, then just use the middle set !

There`s a big difference in leg room on even the same model of train, according to who has refurbished it. I agree that there`s more leg room of a FGW HST than on a refurbed Cross Country one. They`re crap. I may have long legs but my knees only just fit in, awful. I`ve done some research on railway seat leg room, it`s on the link.

Never mind trains (even though I've come out of the closet) what you need is a pocket windlass. I've got one, and it can get a W&B gate paddle or any T&M paddle up even with a throw of about five inches. Obviously the paddles make a difference, but is there such a thing as a windlass that makes more efficient use of the throw it's got?

Edited to add, I've had a look at your page, are "priority seats" those that you should give up if someone elderley or infirm gets on? If so, the legroom quoted on some is appalling!

Edited by magpie patrick

In that case, I'd do what my windlass* has, fit a brass tube tight onto the handle. The brass slips nicely around in your hand and never pinches your fingers

Richard

*The windlass I put away if anyone borrows the boat, and that I worry about if anyone borrows it because I'd hate to lose it. My windlass

I've seen it - it is indeed a thing of great beauty and magnificent to behold . . .

That`s good, it`d be ecen better with a roller handle, and close in keys for winding down paddles !

The only problem with all these aditional bits is that they all adds to the weight.

My wife certainly wouldn't want to carry it

The best windlass I have tried recently is the Floatlass- very nicely made - but the price????

A cheaper, double throw would be perfect.

Alex

The only problem with all these aditional bits is that they all adds to the weight.

My wife certainly wouldn't want to carry it

The best windlass I have tried recently is the Floatlass- very nicely made - but the price????

A cheaper, double throw would be perfect.

Alex

That is Alnwick's weapon of choice IIRC

And very nice too

Richard

I've had a look at your page, are "priority seats" those that you should give up if someone elderley or infirm gets on? If so, the legroom quoted on some is appalling!

Oh I don`t know, when you`ve sat in a standard class East Coast or Cross Country HST seat for hours (with 26 to 27" of leg room) 34" seems positively spacious !

Interesting point, "Priority seats" are supposed to be for the disabled etc, but should people with long legs be allowed to use them ? ! ? The reason I say this is that when I raised train seat legroom on the very forum where I`ve published my research a load of people* were dismissive of it saying they weren`t bothered, they thought all trains had adequate amounts of legroom. Now to my way of thinking they must have short legs, which is fair enough, I wouldn`t hold it against them, so they can take all the non prioity seats, that`s fine, but with legs like mine (particularly my thigh bones.....) I need more room, so they should have no complaint at bean poles sitting there ! ! !

* But were these "Forum Answers" anyway ?

You know what I mean, when some people just disagree with you to try and get an argument going.

Forum Answers = Statements made on a forum which you`d never hear anyone say in real life.......

Edited by Justin Smith

We got one like this from Sowerby Bridge for the Rochdale Canal - too late for where it would have been really useful on the Huddersfield narrow. They're great for very stiff lock gear but so heavy that I would not want to carry it around for long. It lives under the bed on the boat and has hardly ever been used.

Arthur

If you want one now, go magnet fishing on the Rochdale, you should get plenty, along with a selection of handcuff keys.

And when you're carrying it?

Personally when carrying a lock windlass about it`s not the weight that annoys, it`s just having to carry it at all ! On the subject of which, how many people use those belts for a windlass ? I saw one of the lock keepers at Foxton using one.

If I need two hands and carrying a windlass I just put it through one of the belt loops on my trousers (usually the one in the middle at the back) or over my shoulder with the handle down the back of my neck inside my clothing.

Be warned, if the "short" key has more "throw" between it and the long key than between it and the handle you will recieve no benefit, and you'll probably clonk yourslef on the chin!

Well, still less movement of your arm, but yes, i would say the risk of face-windless introductions would be high!

I have a nice short throw single head windless for normal use, a load of standard fabracated two hole for stiffer paddles and hydrolic operated kit and for others to use/abuse/loose. Then if im really stuck we have one aluminum windlass (a contentious issue in itself) which has a really long throw if there really bad.

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

I tried a carbon windlass today much lighter than an ally one warm to the touch was comfertable to use.

Does it have a metal insert where it goes over the spigot, or is it 100% carbon fibre?

I'd imagine if it was only carbon fibre that it wouldn't last too long.

Tony

Does it have a metal insert where it goes over the spigot, or is it 100% carbon fibre?

I'd imagine if it was only carbon fibre that it wouldn't last too long.

Tony

I think its 100% carbon, I know its been in use and its not chipped while using it.