I want one of these lock windlasses ! ! !

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

I`ve mentioned before that I`d like a windlass with more than one set of keys, but the experiences on our last holiday (on the Oxford canal) make me even more keen to get hold of a windlass like the one below. Some of the paddles were really heavy, so I was using our long handled windlass to wind, I don`t know how the ladies managed them, I`m pretty fit and I was struggling. On the other hand, some paddle gear (not the tighter ones, thank God) didn`t have the clearance to take a long handled windlass, so I had to go back to the boat to get the short one ! Frustrating.

Interestingly whilst chatting at locks I asked a few people if they thought the multi key windlass was a good idea, all of them thought so, or said they did anyway !

If nobody knows where I can get one, has anyone got the phone number of Walsh Implements ?

Maybe they`d be interested in making some ?

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/picturehosting.html#PerfectLockWindlass

I`ve mentioned before that I`d like a windlass with more than one set of keys, but the experiences on our last holiday (on the Oxford canal) make me even more keen to get hold of a windlass like this.

Interestingly whilst chatting at locks I asked a few people if they thought it a good idea, all of them thought so, or said they did anyway !

If nobody knows where I can get one, has anyone got the phone number of Walsh Implements ?

Maybe they`d be interested in making some ?

Incidentally, I tried to upload the image of the windlass but it wouldn`t let me, it said :

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.Any ideas why not ?

Why don't you draw up the dimensions and have a local welder/steel fabricator* make one for you?

*There's bound to be some still in Sheffield

Be warned, if the "short" key has more "throw" between it and the long key than between it and the handle you will recieve no benefit, and you'll probably clonk yourslef on the chin!

Why not put some holes at the other end, that is, sockets at both ends of the "L"?

BTW I've got one, but Shire cruisers won't sell them to the public any more apparently

wp524b7e3b.jpg

How did you do that ? ! ? It wouldn`t do that for me. What I was doing was putting the URL (link) of the picture into the box. Should I have copied and pasted the "Properties" address of the image ?

How did you do that ? ! ? It wouldn`t do that for me. What I was doing was putting the URL (link) of the picture into the box. Should I have copied and pasted the "Properties" address of the image ?

Ahh, sorted now ! I`ve uploaded it onto the thread starter, so to speak.

My wife struggles with some of the paddles, and the long throw ali one is not always useful.

I made my own by taking a standard windlass and welding on the sockets and about 4 inches of shaft from an old windlass. Similar to the diagram shown, but with two sockets - standard and long throw.

Works a treat! Can't understand why no one has made one commercially, as it solves the problem encountered with long throw windlasses when the lock beam is too close. Saves having to carry two.

ETA: Just seen Josher's post. It is pretty much what I have, except with roller handle.

Edited by dor

Another option, a chap called George Pope makes an extending windlass. Standard length but pull out the pin and it extends to approximately double length.

Contact details 01328 863983

brendapope@btconnect.com

Just a satisfied user

Ken

l_lockkey1.jpg

Double length Windlass

£19.50

This is the 'Jack of all trades' windlass. It can be used as a standard length windlass or a long one, according to the circumstances. Galvanised finish.

Canalshoponline

That`s good, it`d be ecen better with a roller handle, and close in keys for winding down paddles !

That`s good, it`d be ecen better with a roller handle, and close in keys for winding down paddles !

Roller handles are a pain, literally, they nip your fingers

and if you have a set of sockets much closer in you will clonk yourself with the free end at some point!

and if you have a set of sockets much closer in you will clonk yourself with the free end at some point!

Agreed. Plain windlasses with tapered socket heads are the safest IMHO.

I want one that is truely multi functional. How about this one? ;)

windlass.jpg

Now that lump of steel on the end would really make your eyes water when it hits you on the chin.:glare:

Aah! - - but if you knew someone with the engineering equipment, one could fit a sleeve on the handle with nice needle roller bearings - that would help, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

In that case, I'd do what my windlass* has, fit a brass tube tight onto the handle. The brass slips nicely around in your hand and never pinches your fingers

Richard

*The windlass I put away if anyone borrows the boat, and that I worry about if anyone borrows it because I'd hate to lose it. My windlass

*The windlass I put away if anyone borrows the boat, and that I worry about if anyone borrows it because I'd hate to lose it. My windlass

I've seen that windlass - I've even....touched it

They do?

Since when??

As for having a really short throw, I reckon the effort you'd save would be balanced out by the extra weight of the windlass.

For gate paddles it's possible to hold the top shaft across the gate in your hand and release the catch, using just enough grip to let the paddle drop gently. Make sure it does shut, though.