control cable enfield z-drive

Featured Posts

HI ALL. WAS WONDERING HAS ANYONE OUT THERE ANY TIPS ON REPLACING GEAR SHIFT CONTROL CABLE ON AN ENFIELD Z-DRIVE .HAVE HEARD THAT IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE IT LINNED UP PROPERLY OR COULD RISK DAMAGING THE GEARS.WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR ANY FEEDBACK THANX. :cheers:

I've just had mine replaced on my Volvo Penta outdrive. In my opinion it is a boatyard job. Mind you that was in there opinion too. On my boat the gearbox had to be removed - that's a boat out of the water job. Install new cable - refit gearbox. Refit gearbox means replacing some seals too.

It all depends on how similar the Enfield is to the the Volvo so what I've said might be useful to you or no use at all

On the Enfield unit the total travel of the cable has to be precise. Some control boxes can't be adjusted to give the correct length of travel. Bob Knowles should be able to advise.

http://www.bobknowles.demon.co.uk/

The transdrive has two linkages, which is fiddly but makes adjustment easier. With the enfield you have to use a combinations of cable adjustment and clamp swivel on the leg combined with throw adjustment on the lever! Definately need two people.

Set it up first so its in reverse and locked, in forward and unlocked, then the difference will be the travel needed. All you have to worry about then is getting the starting point in the right place.

I've just had mine replaced on my Volvo Penta outdrive. In my opinion it is a boatyard job. Mind you that was in there opinion too. On my boat the gearbox had to be removed - that's a boat out of the water job. Install new cable - refit gearbox. Refit gearbox means replacing some seals too.

It all depends on how similar the Enfield is to the the Volvo so what I've said might be useful to you or no use at all

The transdrive has two linkages, which is fiddly but makes adjustment easier. With the enfield you have to use a combinations of cable adjustment and clamp swivel on the leg combined with throw adjustment on the lever! Definately need two people.

Set it up first so its in reverse and locked, in forward and unlocked, then the difference will be the travel needed. All you have to worry about then is getting the starting point in the right place.

thanks for all your replies.sorry robin i dont really understand what u mean by locked and unlocked and the distance will be the travel needed??

when the control cable exits the transom,make sure there is enough cable "outside" to allow for the leg to steer without tugging the cable,so use a clip or even a cable tie to stop the control cable sliding back inside the transom each the leg returns to centre.

when the enfield leg is in reverse,it is "locked"down to stop it kicking up when reverse thrust is applied,a small button appears just below the sprung latch on the leg.

the button does not appear when forward is engaged,so the leg can swing up if it goes aground or encounters a log,sheep,supermarket trolley or similar object which could cause it damage.

when the enfield leg is in reverse,it is "locked"down to stop it kicking up when reverse thrust is applied,a small button appears just below the sprung latch on the leg.

the button does not appear when forward is engaged,so the leg can swing up if it goes aground or encounters a log,sheep,supermarket trolley or similar object which could cause it damage.

Could not have explained it better myself :clapping:

Sounds very similar to, if not the same as, my Volvo

We thought that as well until we saw the "experts" handywork during our last liftout. O rings missing when there was no way for them to fall out whilst the boat was afloat, seals not seated properly and seals in back to front. Needless to say we service our own now so that we are happy with the level of work completed. A decent workshop manual is your friend. There is no balck art to outdrives, they are just simple engineering.

We thought that as well until we saw the "experts" handywork during our last liftout. O rings missing when there was no way for them to fall out whilst the boat was afloat, seals not seated properly and seals in back to front. Needless to say we service our own now so that we are happy with the level of work completed. A decent workshop manual is your friend. There is no balck art to outdrives, they are just simple engineering.

Yep - now I've seen mine put back together so I have a better idea my next job is to get a manual - I'm not paying those fees again! However if all is as it should be (which it should be since I was there) I don't need to think about it for at least a couple of years

Yep - now I've seen mine put back together so I have a better idea my next job is to get a manual - I'm not paying those fees again! However if all is as it should be (which it should be since I was there) I don't need to think about it for at least a couple of years

Yep. We thought that 12 months ago :rolleyes: