Visiting Leicester

PeteS

Featured Posts

Walked into Leicester this morning and there were about 7 boats, of all sorts, moored at the Castle Gardens moorings. I don't think I have seen so many in recent times.

Given the comments on CDWF regarding Leicester in the past have I missed something or has people's opions changed?

Walked into Leicester this morning and there were about 7 boats, of all sorts, moored at the Castle Gardens moorings. I don't think I have seen so many in recent times.

Given the comments on CDWF regarding Leicester in the past have I missed something or has people's opions changed?

Castle Gardens are generally regarded as secure and safe.

Previous comments generally refer to other moorings in the area.

Castle Gardens are generally regarded as secure and safe.

Previous comments generally refer to other moorings in the area.

Refer being the optimum word. Have anyone actually had a problem in Leicester? When I was there 3 years ago I stayed a week on towpath side not far from Castle Gardens. I think Leicester get bad press for no reason. In 7 days we were the only 2 boats moored on towpath one walker said I was the first boat to moor there since Noah's Ark.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Refer being the optimum word. Have anyone actually had a problem in Leicester? When I was there 3 years ago I stayed a week on towpath side not far from Castle Gardens. I think Leicester get bad press for no reason. In 7 days we were the only 2 boats moored on towpath one walker said I was the first boat to moor there since Noah's Ark.

I can only testify as to us being moored tow path side there when we hired April 2010.

It was Leicester city centre because there was a Sainsbury;s local nearby along with a Tesco Express.

IMG_0126.jpg

Edited by MJG

Luv Leicester myself and the old girl moored there for a year just off Abbey park in 92/3 and drove a trip boat called The duke of Bridgewater. The Indian quarter is fab.......... :)

Make no mistake, I've witnessed the local Yoof tear a boat apart, running up and down the roof, kicking gangplank, mop, blah blah blah into the cut, the terrified owners were completely at a loss. :angry: (If you suddenly gained a son while under attack at West bridge lock, you're welcome ;) )

The same kids locked me through a couple of weeks before... Leicester is very changable. Treat the locals with respect.

Anyway, if you're this way, look me up. :cheers:

We stayed overnight at Castle Gardens...excellent safe and secure moorings. Once the public gates were locked we had access to the gardens with a key...it was absolutely fabulous.

We moored on the pontoon, but other boats were moored opposite on the towpath side. Not a moment's trouble.

I'd go back any time!

Janet

Hi, we were there recently for the Leicester River Festival, which was really good!

We arrived early , Thursday and moored on the tow path side of the mile straight, no problems at all.

Predominately a student area, students do tend to be roaming about in the early hours and can be a bit noisy.

There are the local less fortunate about, the guys and gals who have drink and drug problems, most are friendly and not intimidating.

We will certainly be returning, it is a great city.

Regards A

• Greenie 1

Make no mistake, I've witnessed the local Yoof tear a boat apart, running up and down the roof, kicking gangplank, mop, blah blah blah into the cut, the terrified owners were completely at a loss. :angry: (If you suddenly gained a son while under attack at West bridge lock, you're welcome ;) )

The same kids locked me through a couple of weeks before... Leicester is very changable. Treat the locals with respect.

Anyway, if you're this way, look me up. :cheers:

like to think I treat everyone (except certain boaters) with respect, I know what you mean though. Anything can happen anywhere I had the same thing at Wigan where I moored once for 3 days no problem on the way back same spot lots of banging on roof did not realise Wigan were playing at home that night. The only time I have had my boat broken into was at Cropredy and Clayton a month later.

Will certainly look you up if I know where.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Will certainly look you up if I know where.

With apologies to Lauren Bacall

You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just PM me. You know how to PM, don't you, Cotswoldman? You just click on my username and... PM.

Edited by fuzzyduck

During my early boating career , Leicester was a dim place due to the hosiery factories - The Soar ran black & blue due to the dyes pumped into it.

Nowadays the River is cleaner (Although around Belgrave the locals use it as a tip)

In the last 8yrs I have only had 1 minor incident - A bottle of water lobbed at us as we exited Freemans Common lock , most of the strife had by boaters in Leicester (& most cities) is due to a 'Holier than thou' attitude - We find the odd complement , or smoke, fill the lock after if they are swimming etc etc , Best answer I have found to 'Give us a lift mate' is 'Sorry only insured for 2'

I've met folk who turn at Leics & return even tho continuing & doing the Leics ring would be a better trip !

We've been stoned (the rock variety) in Woodseaves Cutting , Spat at & Stoned in Brum near gas st, & shot at in the flashes nr middlewich - Leicester is a pussycat !

• Greenie 1

- Leicester is a pussycat !

That it is - just a wave, a smile and a stroke can do you wonders.

edit due to fingers going too fast

Also to say it'll be busyer ATM as the Riverside festival was last weekend, and some of the CCers may well have stayed on for a bit.

did you honour us with a flying visit this year?

if you did sorry I missed you

Hi, we were there recently for the Leicester River Festival, which was really good!

We arrived early , Thursday and moored on the tow path side of the mile straight, no problems at all.

Predominately a student area, students do tend to be roaming about in the early hours and can be a bit noisy.

There are the local less fortunate about, the guys and gals who have drink and drug problems, most are friendly and not intimidating.

We will certainly be returning, it is a great city.

Regards A

Glad you enjoyed it who ever you are?

I was fortunate enough to spend a wonderfull weekend in Leicester for the Riverside festival, can't wait to go back . I even know what the coconuts are for now dearest ;):lol:

:wub:

Edited by maggie-y

Well I am on my way for my second visit, enjoyed my first visit and again I will moore on the towpath side. Great curries!!!

Which curry houses do you go to? My 'locals' are the Jamal in Braunstone Gate (bring your own booze and cash only) purveyors of the best naans in town and the Tamarind on Hinckley Road.

Proceeded by a couple of pints in the Black Horse.