1 tbls cumin seeds, dry roasted then ground in a mortar and pestle

1 tbls chili flakes

1 cup steamed potatoes, just tender

1 cup coriander stems and leaves, roughly chopped

1 tbls sea salt

Spelt flour

Olive oil for frying

Method

Drain your mung beans in a colander then squeeze as much water out as you can. Put them in a food processor with the spices, chili, potatoes, coriander and salt. Blitz until fairly smooth. Taste for seasoning.

Make into patties about 5cm in diameter, then roll them in spelt flour. Shallow pan fry them in olive oil until golden on both sides. Serve with eggplant pickles and yoghurt.

;)

Serves 12

Ingredients

1½ cups split mung beans soaked overnight

1 tbls garam masala

1 tbls cumin seeds, dry roasted then ground in a mortar and pestle

1 tbls chili flakes

1 cup steamed potatoes, just tender

1 cup coriander stems and leaves, roughly chopped

1 tbls sea salt

Spelt flour

Olive oil for frying

Method

Drain your mung beans in a colander then squeeze as much water out as you can. Put them in a food processor with the spices, chili, potatoes, coriander and salt. Blitz until fairly smooth. Taste for seasoning.

Make into patties about 5cm in diameter, then roll them in spelt flour. Shallow pan fry them in olive oil until golden on both sides. Serve with eggplant pickles and yoghurt.

No is no excuse worthy enough to even attempt this recipe.

Run away now!

I nicked this from t'internet where folk like Delia Quigley are allowed to roam. It's all the fault of the Google Les Paul logo. I'm now working on the third section of the Girl I Left Behind. However, that's a whole other amusement.

The ancient Chinese created the Five Elements, fire, earth, metal, water, and wood, to explain the interconnectedness of all life. When used to balance ones diet and for healing purposes these elements provide insight to the workings of the internal organs, the body parts, one’s emotions and surrounding environment. Understanding the elements can be a language of sorts, one that can explain the meaning of specific symptoms before they degenerate into full-blown dis-ease. I suggest you read Paul Pitchford’s book, Healing With Whole Foods, for a more comprehensive view of the elements.

In regards to food preparation let’s consider Fire element as it corresponds to the months of summer. Fire element governs the heart and small intestine, and the bitter taste of fresh greens strengthens these organs. Late summer brings Earth element into play, which governs the stomach and spleen. The taste for earth is sweet as found in whole grains, vegetables and fruit. With the days hot and damp I wanted to prepare something light, appetizing, pleasurable to the taste and balancing to the governing summer elements. With this in mind I used the sweet taste of millet to create vegetarian burgers and topped them with the pungent bitter taste of chive pesto.

Millet is a gluten free seed with the consistency of cooked grain. It is easy to digest, supports stomach and spleen, is beneficial to the kidneys and helps to create an alkaline condition where there is to much acid. I like to make millet mashed potatoes from the recipe below and serve with sautéed vegetables and lentils. The next day I mold the remains into millet burgers and serve with the pesto surrounded by lightly sautéed vegetables and a green salad to complete the meal.

Millet Burgers w/ Spinach Pesto

Makes 6-8 burgers (good to freeze)

Make sure to soak millet, as you do your other grains, for 8-12 hours before cooking. This helps to remove the phytic acid and make it more digestible.

1 cup millet, washed and soaked 8-12 hours, drained

3 cups water

1/2 tsp. sea salt

2 cups cauliflower florets

2 tbs. butter or sesame butter

1 egg (optional)

sesame seeds

1. In a medium saucepan combine the millet, water, salt, and cauliflower. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until all water is absorbed, about 30 minutes.

2. When done add the butter, stirring well.

At this point you can mash the millet with a potato masher and serve as a side dish.

3. Otherwise, allow to cool, then break and egg into the mixture and mix it into the millet thoroughly.

4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

5. Spray a baking pan with oil and place each burger on the pan. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.

6. When done remove from oven and divide onto individual serving plates. Top with pesto and serve.

Chive Spinach Pesto

2 cups fresh chives, roughly chopped

4 cups fresh spinach, washed and dried

1-2 clove garlic, chopped

1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts

1/2 cup avocado or extra virgin olive oil

salt to taste.

1. In a food processor puree the nuts until fine, but not paste.

2. Add the garlic and chop a bit more.

3. Add the chives and spinach and drizzle in the oil as the processor is running.

4. Add the salt and mix well. Great topping for pizza.

Delia Quigley

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/millet-burgers-with-chive-pesto.html#ixzz1Omns2FTv

What?! Why?

It sounds delicious! Thanks carit.

Bengt, my recipe is far more elegant and less of an invitation to fart, I suggest!

1½ cups split mung beans soaked overnight

Now, you see, this is where recipes like this fall down. They rely on you knowing that you'll want mung bean fritters for tomorrow's tea. And if you decide you want mung been fritters for tonight's tea, you need a time machine to go back to the previous evening to soak the bloody mung beans. When I pick up a recipe book because I'm hungry now, I don't want it telling me, "well, you should have thought about this yesterday, young man".

Now, you see, this is where recipes like this fall down.

No this is where the recipe triumphs...

"Did you remember to soak the Mung beans, last night?"

"Oh Dearie me, no! We'll just have to have Lamb chops, instead."

Now, you see, this is where recipes like this fall down. They rely on you knowing that you'll want mung bean fritters for tomorrow's tea. And if you decide you want mung been fritters for tonight's tea, you need a time machine to go back to the previous evening to soak the bloody mung beans. When I pick up a recipe book because I'm hungry now, I don't want it telling me, "well, you should have thought about this yesterday, young man".

this requires the infinitely soaking bowl of mung beans.

I believe substituting 3lb of steak, for the millet, has exactly the same effect.

But the average budgie digestive system profoundly disagrees here. Shall we have the customary CWDF fifteen pages now Carl?

this requires the infinitely soaking bowl of mung beans.

Now that I think, might be dodgy due to the growth of toxic molds. Not sure here but I seem to recall that beans will ferment if left indefinitely. Mind you, if Mung Bean Beer is hallucinogenic it could be one for the UnStable Bar.

• Greenie 1

Haha, you are all so full of BS :) "Some" of us....DO plan their tea in advance. Heck, I make sour kraut 6 months in advance and cheese to be aged 17 months! And "some" of us don't fart from beans, bacause we are used to it our diet. Some of your favorit recipes will most sertainly clog me up for the same reason. But that doesn't compell me to tell the poster about it, does it? :rolleyes:;)

Live and let live, I say.....

Now, you see, this is where recipes like this fall down. They rely on you knowing that you'll want mung bean fritters for tomorrow's tea. And if you decide you want mung been fritters for tonight's tea, you need a time machine to go back to the previous evening to soak the bloody mung beans.

Or the common sense to realise that it was merely a momentary aberation of the mind, and that you ACTUALLY wanted a bacon sandwich.

...and grow a sense of humour?

Red meat is good for the ironic gland, I believe.

Well, my reply had smileys all over it :) I eat a lot of meat. I only avoid commercial meats. I raise sheep, rabbits, fowl and goats and slaughter, butcher, and sometimes even cure it myself. Ever tried a home cured goat salami? Delicious! Takes a few months though ;)

Edited by Caprifool

I do a very nice Sea Bream, stuffed with Dry Cured Bacon and Puy Lentils. Does that count?

Yes!

Can we have the recipe for that one too, please? Ta!

Well, my reply had smileys all over it :) I eat a lot of meat. I only avoid commercial meats. I raise sheep, rabbits, fowl and goats and slaughter, butcher, and sometimes even cure it myself. Ever tried a home cured goat salami? Delicious! Takes a few months though ;)

I make my own bacon, sausages and salami. Works well although you do have to be brave the first time you eat it.

.. I only avoid commercial meats. I raise sheep, rabbits, fowl and goats and slaughter, butcher, and sometimes even cure it myself. Ever tried a home cured goat salami? Delicious! Takes a few months though ;)

Yes, I never eat during the adverts, either. When you say you cure your own, is that when you've started to slaughter a chicken, but realize you're not hungry, so you make it all better?

Yes I like goat and try any cured meat I can get my hands on.

I tend not to use smileys.

Almost all my posts are good humoured and everyone is free to misinterpret them as they wish.

When you say you cure your own, is that when you've started to slaughter a chicken, but realize you're not hungry, so you make it all better?

It's not often that I LOL IRL. But you just had me snarkling coffee over the room :cheers: Yes dear, I kiss her, say "There there" and put the ax back in the corner :rolleyes:

I tend not to use smileys.

Almost all my posts are good humoured and everyone is free to misinterpret them as they wish.

I just get into so much trouble online if I don't use them...... I wish there was such a thing IRL, because there I'm concidered a grumpy old fart.

Yes!

Can we have the recipe for that one too, please? Ta!

I adapted this recipe (clicky) when I realised that the smoked haddock had already gone in a fish pie and I've got a freezer full of Sea Bream and Bass

I make my own bacon, sausages and salami. Works well although you do have to be brave the first time you eat it.

I'm too lazy to cure my own when these folk do such a good job for me: Clicky

Edited by carlt