Colecraft or Reeves?

Featured Posts

Which makes the better shells? I'm considering a new build narrowboat, about 50ft long and those are the two options I have right now. I realise that neither are really top of the range but I'm just after a well built, practical semi-trad that should hold its value as much as possible. I'm not after Josher bows or anything flash....

Which makes the better shells? I'm considering a new build narrowboat, about 50ft long and those are the two options I have right now. I realise that neither are really top of the range but I'm just after a well built, practical semi-trad that should hold its value as much as possible. I'm not after Josher bows or anything flash....

Out of those two Id go colecraft every time. Obviously its a personal view but the lines of a colecraft are far prettier, and that ugly snub nose of the Reeves...Yuk !!

Interesting replies, thank you. I spoke to a guy who works at one boatbuilder and he said that he much preferred fitting out Reeves shells because they were generally more "true" and easier to fit.

But... what I'm really interested in is resale value down the line. Maybe I should set up a poll :)

I spoke to a guy who works at one boatbuilder and he said that he much preferred fitting out Reeves shells because they were generally more "true" and easier to fit.

But... what I'm really interested in is resale value down the line. Maybe I should set up a poll :)

"True" and "easier to fit" are not compliments, in the boat building world.

The terms translate to "bland", "box-like" and "featureless".

Hah, the opposite of how I think... I shall have to recalibrate my brain :)

I parted company with a boat builder because we disagreed on the best way to fit out the stern cabin of a Dutch barge.

For the floorboards, I wanted to bend planks into the deep curves of the boat's shaped stern and build cupboards that complimented the boats lines.

I took some time to explain how the floorboards would lead the eye in towards the focal point of the cabin, the huge bed, and how the curved cupboards would provide a soft and relaxing sleeping space.

His response was...

"Box it off!"

I have a Reeves boat. I have never owned a Colecraft vessel.

I found Reeves easier to deal with than I did Colecraft, which is why we went with Reeves, but others have a different view.

I quite like the Reeves's bow.

If you do go with a Reeves boat it will be worth your while to be specific over the position/fitting of the battens if you get them to fit them (and get it sprayfoamed). Other than that I feel that I got what I paid for.

I doubt the quality of either is going to be poor, but clearly the "standard" appearance of each is quite different, (although people have said Reeves will build you something different if that's your choice).

With apologies to their owners, but Reeves are not to my taste, whereas I have always likes the Colecraft look (one of the better looking "modern" narrow boats in my view.

If you think either equally to your taste, I'd perhaps let cost be the decider!

Never experienced a Reeves, but our 57' Colecraft has nice lines and details. It has a good swim and handles well too. Another factor is how far you live away from your preferred builder, the closer you live, the easier it is to check on progress.

Rob

We have a Reeves shell well built shell does not make much wash when travelling and reverse well as could not reverse my last boat

I found Reeves easier to deal with than I did Colecraft, which is why we went with Reeves, but others have a different view.

I quite like the Reeves's bow.

I like Graham Reeves and for that reason would probably choose Reeves over Colecraft, but that's an even more personal opinion :)

As for the bow, as Alan pointed out, if you don't like his 'standard' bow then show him a picture of what you do want, and he'll make that. Same with all other aspects of the design.

Tony

Either

- we happen to have a boat with a CC shell but have hired boats with a Reeves shell.

Personally I like the look of both - but I'm pretty sure either builder will be flexible with what you want anyway.

Both shell builders have a very good reputation. On our new build some years ago I decided to go with Colecraft for the shell only. Good people to deal with, and they were very sympathetic with my scale drawings. Found them very friendly and obliging. Shell was a dream to fitout and swims like a fish. If I was ever so stupid to do the same thing again I would go with Colecraft.

Hi, as most people already know we are not fitting boats out any more, but to offer my professional advice it would be Reeves every time. When we were sourcing a shell builder 10 odd years ago Reeves was the only company that gave us the confidence that they would build what we wanted and deliver it when we wanted. For 35 boats they did exactly that, never missed a beat. To anyone who doesn't like the standard Reeves bow, just ask them for a different one, they will be happy to oblige.

Cheers

Roger

Roger, in your opinion, was there any difference in the actually quality of the product? I realise that in your position the speed and reliability of delivery was a very important factor but if I'm only after one boat that would be less important to me overall.

thank you!

• 8 years later...

Interesting comments

i went to a very well known builder in Sheffield this year and found them quite complacent and tried to steer me away from what I wanted. My response to the bow issue or anything else you are paying a lot of money for is to specify exactly what you want and ask can they do it. Simple really but as in all things where you are having something done is to get it in a contract and visit regularly

1 hour ago, El Tel said:

Interesting comments

i went to a very well known builder in Sheffield this year and found them quite complacent and tried to steer me away from what I wanted. My response to the bow issue or anything else you are paying a lot of money for is to specify exactly what you want and ask can they do it. Simple really but as in all things where you are having something done is to get it in a contract and visit regularly

But what you want might be ugly and then the builder gets known for building ugly boats

26 minutes ago, Tonka said:

But what you want might be ugly and then the builder gets known for building ugly boats

Precisely - what is beautiful to a 'new to canals' person might be 'not to the builders repetation'  to them as knows.

OTOH - it might be quite difficult / impossible to fabricate

There was a time when some builders stuck their nose out a bit and magically created a new genre. However surprisingly the market reverted to whatever the norm is.

For exampe Peter Nicholls built some different and some weird boats to oder - not a lot have survived - a shame.

Conservatism is mebe not a good thing, but often there are good reasons.

I had a battle with my builder years ago, all I wanted was a longer rear deck and ditto for the bow. We both compromised and the result continuse to please - as well as swims beautifully...

Edited by OldGoat