New DM

Featured Posts

What is vintege about a new engine

:help:

Ye gods man !!!

You cant say that, you will have more people needing their nappy changing than you can shake a stick at. :lol:

A bargain a Whole cylinder for a mere 15 k !!!!!!

Crikey if we didnt have NEW vintage engines what would we do for old ones when the realy old ones wear out :wacko:

What is vintege about a new engine

That it's been in continuous manufacture - albeit rather sketchily at times - since first built way back whenever. And yes I know it didn't have a flywheel belt driven alternator etc etc in them days.

That it's been in continuous manufacture - albeit rather sketchily at times - since first built way back whenever. And yes I know it didn't have a flywheel belt driven alternator etc etc in them days.

I bet the first ones were not held together with socket-head bolts, either. That does seem to be a rather curious feature, given the market they're selling into.

MP.

I bet the first ones were not held together with socket-head bolts, either. That does seem to be a rather curious feature, given the market they're selling into.

MP.

I was more offended by the modern Johnson water pump. Reliable though it may be I much prefer this clumsy, leaky Lister original which as an added bonus requires its own oil feed :rolleyes:

IMG_1727.jpg

I was more offended by the modern Johnson water pump. Reliable though it may be I much prefer this clumsy, leaky Lister original which as an added bonus requires its own oil feed :rolleyes:

IMG_1727.jpg

I think spares for the Johnson would be easier to find, and much cheaper. Those Lister pumps need special tools for reassembly. Oh, and by the way, they're not really vintage, for that you need the old reciprocating pump.

;)

Tim

Edit - the original RN recip water pump was rather over-engineered and prone to wear at certain crucial points, & AFAIK the D1 wasn't made as a marine propulsion unit until relatively recent times (20 years?), so there's probably not an 'original' style of pump for them. DM2 &3 have used Jabsco/Johnson pumps for a long time.

Edited by Timleech

IMG_1727.jpg

I have one of those going begging, if anyone is interested. Not as shiny as that, mind. It's on my spare FR2 and surplus to requirements because the boat installation uses the equaly unreliable and leaky Lister centrigugal pump, not a raw water pump like the one in the picture.

MP.

I think spares for the Johnson would be easier to find, and much cheaper. Those Lister pumps need special tools for reassembly. Oh, and by the way, they're not really vintage, for that you need the old reciprocating pump.

;)

Tim

Edit - the original RN recip water pump was rather over-engineered and prone to wear at certain crucial points, & AFAIK the D1 wasn't made as a marine propulsion unit until relatively recent times (20 years?), so there's probably not an 'original' style of pump for them. DM2 &3 have used Jabsco/Johnson pumps for a long time.

I don't get this! How on earth can it claim to be "over engineered" and yet "prone to wear at certain crucial points"? The two phrases simply do not go together!!

I don't get this! How on earth can it claim to be "over engineered" and yet "prone to wear at certain crucial points"? The two phrases simply do not go together!!

An engineering designer spent too long dreaming it up, not enough time testing for durability I suspect.

Are you sure of that? ;)

I don't know the exact chronology, but I think the one like yours with the rubber gears is post war, featured on the FR and was quite likely designed for that engine & adapted for the JP/JK.

I am open to correction on that, though.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I don't know the exact chronology, but I think the one like yours with the rubber gears is post war, featured on the FR and was quite likely designed for that engine & adapted for the JP/JK.

It was certainly featured on the FR. It was available in two versions; a single pump for raw water, and a double pump which had a separate section used as a permanently running bilge pump. A marine FR can be fitted with one of these pumps and a centrifugal pump (all gear-driven, no belts), so the most complex installation had three pumps. A bilge pump, a raw water pump feeding a heat exchanger, and a centrifugal pump circulating fresh water round the heat exchanger and the engine.

MP.

being one on the RN engine owners that had a double "vintage" pump that was over engineered, accept for grease feeds and the small one "hidden" and thimble sized at one discreet point on the yolk eventually failed on me - ignorance... with a bang...

so now have fitted a smal electric pump that "works" pending engineering a new pump that is mechanically/belt driven.. RN are reaonably robust and up for the job, but the price of "engineered bits for it are eye wwatering"..

re ownsership: suggest a read here - http://www.russellnewbery.co.uk/engines.html

Club ownership just topped 250, but like many not sure re its long term future.

They did look at selling to suitable folks last year, and I dont now why there was no progress. But the key directors are either ageing/retired on have had serious health issues which they are focussing on - rightly so, leaving a void re engine production. The neewsletter has recently stated that they may have produced the last DM3 having no more engine blocks, cranks, cams available, so any more would be probably eye watering in price and completely specially commisioned...

still they have a reasonable range of parts at the "works" so not dire..

• 1 month later...

The word Vintage should be used in conjunction with a date as it rfers to a particular timeslot. Vintage is often used to describe somethings relative age which is incorrect. We all assume when seeing the word vintage that it implies ancientness but infact it refers only to somethings previousness either recent or distant. a more relevant description would be " of an earlier and less developed design and time" but it doesnt have the same romantic appeal :rolleyes: that us "stuck in a time warp" types aspire to :D

• 3 years later...

The word Vintage should be used in conjunction with a date as it rfers to a particular timeslot. Vintage is often used to describe somethings relative age which is incorrect. We all assume when seeing the word vintage that it implies ancientness but infact it refers only to somethings previousness either recent or distant. a more relevant description would be " of an earlier and less developed design and time" but it doesnt have the same romantic appeal :rolleyes: that us "stuck in a time warp" types aspire to biggrin.gif

As I have always understood the term - "vintage" merely means "20 years old or more". There's lots of stuff fits into THAT timeframe.... I for one an almost "triple vintage" at 58, and I might not be the most ancient here either! fatigue.gif

As I have always understood the term - "vintage" merely means "20 years old or more".

Yours is a very personal interpretation of the word. A vintage car, for example, is generally understood to be one built from 1917 up to 1931, so the youngest ones would now be at least 83 years old. We sometimes have vintage cheddar cheese in the house, but I do hope it's not yet 20 years old.

Perhaps I would have sold my Springer more quickly if I had advertised it as vintage.