should i feel sad

Featured Posts

Should I feel sad that people moor quite regularly at the local water point for the night despite the notice saying mooring for water only. The most frequent offenders are the boat owners rather than the hire boaters. It seems to me that it sets a very bad example to the hire boaters who are the most frequent users of this stretch of the canal.

I do come across the odd boat moored on water points when out on a hire boat.

But have always found and once again the majority are private boats, the worst are boaters who moor on bends close to bridge holes and on lock landings.

Have even found ourselfs in a position where we have had to go half a mile down the canal before SWMBO can get back aboard

What on a hire boat lol, have you read some of the opinions of hire boaters on here lol.

I can imagine the post now, we where moored up on this lock landing having a brew when this hire boat banged into us one walked across our boat, don't they get any training lol

What on a hire boat lol, have you read some of the opinions of hire boaters on here lol.

I can imagine the post now, we where moored up on this lock landing having a brew when this hire boat banged into us one walked across our boat, don't they get any training lol

Yes and they had heavy boots on too..!!

In both instances I would moor against the offending boat and take on water, or to pick up the crew. Preferably at 6am :)

I am in total agreement with you. Mooring on a water point is NEVER an option and sadly as others have stated it is usualy a private boat owner who does it as with people who do not pass on tickover.

Totaly off topic but I saw a fab sign on the roof of a moored boat a week or 3 ago it read " Master Boaters pass at Tickover. Master Baters do it faster " :lol: So bloody true...........

Should I feel sad that people moor quite regularly at the local water point for the night despite the notice saying mooring for water only. The most frequent offenders are the boat owners rather than the hire boaters. It seems to me that it sets a very bad example to the hire boaters who are the most frequent users of this stretch of the canal.

You want us to tell you how you should feel about it? :unsure: How you feel about it is up to you. Personally it p*sses me off.

i was intending to use a thames water point recently,not one owned by the EA.

there was a replica "dutch barge moored toward one end of the designated frontage.

i managed to get ashore with a centreline,the "chaps"from the barge offered to assist,i declined and reminded them that they were moored at a water point,one of them said,wait for it! I SUPPOSE IT IS A BIT ANTI-SOCIAL!!.

i then infomed them that i considered their actions DOWNRIGHT F''''''NG IDIOTIC!

they did not offer to move their boat!they just walked away from the area looking sheepish.

is there an established and descriptive name or phrase for these types?

i then infomed them that i considered their actions DOWNRIGHT F''''''NG IDIOTIC!

If anyone said that to me they would not get any help at all, there is no reason to use such language in that situation, its neither clever nor bright.

there was a replica "dutch barge moored toward one end of the designated frontage.

i managed to get ashore with a centreline,the "chaps"from the barge offered to assist,i declined and reminded them that they were moored at a water point,one of them said,wait for it! I SUPPOSE IT IS A BIT ANTI-SOCIAL!!.

they did not offer to move their boat!they just walked away from the area looking sheepish.

Yes, they're called friendly boaters. I guess the ''water point'' was either the one outside The Great House at Sonning or the one at Henley, neither of which are ''designated'' but are provided for the convenience of anyone mooring there, which is a somewhat different kettle of fish.

They offered to help you but you chose to be extremely rude,I'm sure there are many established and descriptive names for your type and those ''chaps'', whilst walking away, had thought of a few more.

Keith

Hi Cereal tiller

Ooops it seems you have used the wrong language to these poor chaps on their boat you naughty person, decorum dear boy decorum !!

Well I am with you on this one mate, a water point is a water point wether " Designated " or not, the tap is for water for boats so only an ignoramous would moor there. Oh and the descrptive name or phrase for these types starts with a capital W and ends in an s !!

Oooh maybe I may have upset some nice boaters by agreeing with you :rolleyes:;);)

actually,i did not swear at these inconsiderate folk, i was merely "dramatising the scenario".

and thank you mrsmelly for the humorous reply.

the whole idea of my OP was to instigate humorous banter and merriment,to to attract criticism from uninformed and small minded people.

the water point i refered to is the one at windsor leisure centre.

i do so enjoy this forum ,mainly because of it's humour and well informed comments.

it does appear that some contributors are lacking in "joi de vivre".

I moored behind another live-aboard at Seend on the K&A a couple of years ago. They were moored on the water point, which also gives access to waste disposal. Nobody was home. There was a BW overstaying ticket stuck to the doors that implied they had been there for several days!

I breasted up to get water. We then moored, one boat-length along the mooring, for the rest of the day. The Brewery pub in Seend village is one of my all time favourite hostelries, Thatchers 'Wacky' on draft being very reasonably priced and the bonhomie excellent. Nobody appeared on the offending boat until late evening.

A couple returned to the boat, laden down with carrier bags after a long shopping trip in Devizes. They removed the ticket, laughed, and threw it in the cut. They did not move on until 10am the following morning.

Until BW work out an efficient policing system with effective unavoidable penalties, then all mooring regs are a farce.

Tone

actually,i did not swear at these inconsiderate folk, i was merely "dramatising the scenario".

and thank you mrsmelly for the humorous reply.

the whole idea of my OP was to instigate humorous banter and merriment,to to attract criticism from uninformed and small minded people.

the water point i refered to is the one at windsor leisure centre.

i do so enjoy this forum ,mainly because of it's humour and well informed comments.

it does appear that some contributors are lacking in "joi de vivre".

Oh it was a joke! It must be the way you tell them.

Keith

You don't think they might have been filling up with water? They can have quite big tanks these barges :)

You don't think they might have been filling up with water? They can have quite big tanks these barges :)

Well can't speak for this instance but when we passed a boat moored on a water point, the fact it was still there 2 days later after we had turned around was a bit of a clue they where not just getting water

Hi Cereal tiller

Ooops it seems you have used the wrong language to these poor chaps on their boat you naughty person, decorum dear boy decorum !!

Well I am with you on this one mate, a water point is a water point wether " Designated " or not, the tap is for water for boats so only an ignoramous would moor there. Oh and the descrptive name or phrase for these types starts with a capital W and ends in an s !!

Oooh maybe I may have upset some nice boaters by agreeing with you :rolleyes:;);)

Don't go to Market Harborough then, all the waterpoints are also visitor moorings. :wacko:

I don't know if this is how the OP feels, but I must admit to feeling ambivolent about the whole issue of rules/regulations on the canals. Eg, in my experience it's not at all unusual to find a boat tied up for the night at the san station at the top of Bingley Five Rise. My initial reaction was outrage when I first saw this, especially as it's in full view of the lock keepers hut, but no-one seems to bother about it. In similar vein, permanent moorings seem to be a bit of a free for all as well. But I wonder if we don't get too worked up about these things? Ok if someone is behaving like a total ****head then they should be taken to task but I suspect in many cases these people genuinely don't think they are doing anyone any harm. We've seen loads of private boats tied up in front of locks, swing bridges etc. if you made an issue of it every time it would soon ruin the pleasure of boating.

On the Lancaster Canal BW are advertising for "volunteer rangers" to assist with the policing of the canal - is this really what we want? Yes, I get dismayed about litter, dog mess, etc but isn't the idea of boating to get away from "it" all? For my money a bit of anarchy is a small price to pay.

Yes mooring at a water point or lock landing is antisocial and I have been known to breast up alongside offenders and take on water or crew. But is it really a big deal ? No not worth swearing at someone over.

Just like the dozen people that went past our mooring at warp factor 9 today Impolite - yes Inconsiderate - Yes Dangerous - probably not Damage done - none. Worth getting upset over - definitely not.

Relax and enjoy the waterways.

TC