SR 2

Madmark62

Featured Posts

We had a SR2 in our previous boat, I loved it for its simplicity.

No matter what the weather, I just turned on the power and pressed the start button, if there was enough charge it started, no problems ever.

When the boat sank, it was on the bottom over the cut under several feet of water and ice for 3 weeks, after being refloated, the engine was given new oil, new fuel, unsured there was no water inside and after connecting to a new battery, she fired up in 10 seconds!!

What an engine.

We had a SR2 in our previous boat, I loved it for its simplicity.

No matter what the weather, I just turned on the power and pressed the start button, if there was enough charge it started, no problems ever.

When the boat sank, it was on the bottom over the cut under several feet of water and ice for 3 weeks, after being refloated, the engine was given new oil, new fuel, unsured there was no water inside and after connecting to a new battery, she fired up in 10 seconds!!

What an engine.

My first boat had a very old hand start LR2 never let me down. Brilliant engines. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever took one apart? I don't think the manuals on offer are anything like as good as Haynes. I also have a strong feeling the day will come when I have to dismantle my Lister to decarb pistons, rings, valves and seats and clean cooling fins and so forth. However, for now it runs fine so I leave it alone.

Linnet still has the first engine she was given, one of the 1800rpm SR2's :)

The SR2 is an easy engine to do but leave well enough alone. They go on and on and on and on and on and on! When they do get tired (a lifetime later) shells and rings usually sort them out. Do the oil changes on time and look out for internal fuel leaks other than that just use it!

My SR2 was manufactured in 1976, which according to the Lister website was the last year of production. I suspect it has been rebuilt at some stage as it has standard size pistons. The only problem I have ever had was overheating about 10 years ago. That was caused by the cooling baffles having been fitted upside down, which I assume might have been done when it was re-built.

They are (touch wood!) bomb proof, but a bit noisy. But for reliability they can't be beaten, which is why they were so popular with hire companies in the 60's and 70's and some hire fleets were still using them into the current millennium............

??? :unsure:

Standard Piston Liner kits are still available and don't cost much more than an oversize piston and machining !

especially popular when people have broken or damaged fins !

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Read my post again. The heads and cylinders have obviously been removed sometime in the past :cheers:

I have raised 3 sunken boats over the years with 2-SR2',and 1 ST2, All started up after draining water, fresh oil and drying starter motors ect.

By the way,i have 2 recond SR2 Aircooled diesel injectors for sale, in the sale and wants categary.

bizzard.