Unhelpful boaters

Ange

Featured Posts

While we were ascending the last of the Cheshire Locks before the Harecastle Tunnel we were hailed by a hippy type boater (not wanting to typecast but he had dreadlocks and colourful home made jumper) on a boat that was obviously a liveaboard (again no typecasting you can tell our boat is a liveaboard by the amount of stuff on the roof).

We exchanged greetings, then he apologetically asked if we could do him a favour and jump start his boat. We agreed with no hesitation. He seemed surprised and very thankful and said that he'd asked a boater a few minutes before and they'd just said "no" and carried on their way. It took us 5 minutes to jump start his engine and get him on his way.

Am I the only one that finds it astounding that a plea for easy assistance could be ignored?

No you are not Ange.

The story reminds me of Brian Johnston - the broadcaster etc. During the war his truck was called FUJIAR 'F... you Jack I'm alright'!!

I'm surprised that there are not a few boats with the same name given the way their owners behave!!!

Edited by Richard T

No you are not Ange.

The story reminds me of Brian Johnston - the broadcaster etc. During the war his truck was called FUJIAR 'F... you Jack I'm alright'!!

I'm surprised that there are not a few boats with the same name given the way their owners behave!!!

Too true!

I've been mulling over the possibilities - either it's

a) mr shiny boater looking down on hippy liveaboard or

B) I don't know where my batteries are let alone how to jump start another boat and can't possibly admit my inadequacies or

c) FUJIAR

I found a day hire boat with 12 aboard, stuck firmly on an underwater fence post. Several privately owned boaters just sailed past, heads up their own jacksies, laughing at them, until we stopped and towed them off.

Tone

While we were ascending the last of the Cheshire Locks before the Harecastle Tunnel we were hailed by a hippy type boater (not wanting to typecast but he had dreadlocks and colourful home made jumper) on a boat that was obviously a liveaboard (again no typecasting you can tell our boat is a liveaboard by the amount of stuff on the roof).

We exchanged greetings, then he apologetically asked if we could do him a favour and jump start his boat. We agreed with no hesitation. He seemed surprised and very thankful and said that he'd asked a boater a few minutes before and they'd just said "no" and carried on their way. It took us 5 minutes to jump start his engine and get him on his way.

Am I the only one that finds it astounding that a plea for easy assistance could be ignored?

I bet the boat that said NO had shiny paint and brass.........

Complying with such a request for a 'jump start' may not always be that easy. We are 24v and although we could apply the jump leads to just one of our paired batteries, I don't think it would do the battery much good if we were to draw a large amount of power from just one.

Having said that, I think we would always render assistance if we came across someone in trouble . . .

I have to say, assuming you are not unshipping batteries from your own boat, and carrying them to the other, I'm pretty impressed that anybody carries on a narrow boat jump cables long enough, and durable enough, to reach from one engine bay to another, and still provide enough amps to run a starter.

Must be fairly unusual, I'd have thought!

Were they his, or was he expecting you to be carrying something suitable ? :rolleyes:

Well done for helping though!

I have to say, assuming you are not unshipping batteries from your own boat, and carrying them to the other, I'm pretty impressed that anybody carries on a narrow boat jump cables long enough, and durable enough, to reach from one engine bay to another, and still provide enough amps to run a starter.

Must be fairly unusual, I'd have thought!

I agree with Alan (!!!!!!) The last time I tried to jump start another boat, using his cables and mine connected, there simply wasn't enough juice getting through to work. The batteries of both boats have to be in the right place.

I'm shocked too. I'd be gutted if I asked someone for that sort of help and they refused. Glad you came along to restore the guy's faith in humanity!

I'm afraid you'll find misanthropes in every walk of life. However, I still find after a quarter of a century of boating that the spirit of helpfulness and friendliness is very much alive.

Two years ago I was stuck firmly – and I mean firmly – on a lump of concrete on the Leicester Arm. Had it not been for the combined efforts of a hire boat, a shiny new boat, an old boat with a novice crew, an experienced boater with a powerful engine and several passing boats, we'd still be there. Four hours of combined efforts eventually managed to free us.

In all the time we were there, many more boats asked if they could help. Mind you, I think there was a sense of superiority in air. Big ex working boat stuck, having to be helped by Canaltimers :P.

Too true!

I've been mulling over the possibilities - either it's

a) mr shiny boater looking down on hippy liveaboard or

B)I don't know where my batteries are let alone how to jump start another boat and can't possibly admit my inadequacies or

c) FUJIAR

Our son, 21, works as premises staff at the same school that I teach at. He told me that he'd had to help to jump start one of the school minibuses from the other one - which was a new skill for him. Many of us who grew up before the 80's are used to the idea jump starting, bump starting, of fixing your own vehicles, doing it yourself, because you didn't really have a choice. On the other hand I have neighbours who don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other, and have always paid to have anything done on their house. Perhaps it's a bit of both, the boater didn't really know what to do, and might have helped if they hadn't felt a bit nervous of the 'hippy' boater.

Cath

Hi,

In some respects I can understand the reluctance to give someone a 'jump start'. Unless care is taken with connecting and disconnecting the leads the electonics on both boats can be damaged (this can happen to cars).

I carry a spare portable power pack designed to augment batteries for jump starting.

As has been said someone must have had some very long leads to connect the batteries or were they connecting several sets of leads together? not a wise thing to do.

The power pack is a useful back up, combining an inverter and is 12/240v rechargeable, not sure about the cheap £30 jobs this one was about £90.

I agree with the 'younger' population not understanding old methods - try explaining to my wife's children and grandchildren the need to let the elderly (35 year old) lawn mower engine warm up a bit before cutting the grass - clear orf and get one with an 'auto'choke is their suggestion.

Leo.

Ps We are assuming that the person begging the j/start was telling the truth about having their request turned down and not just to 'tug at your heartstrings'.

Edited by LEO

Wouldn't it have been easier for the dreadlocked crusty to use the jump leads to start his engine from his own domestic battery bank (assuming there was enough power)? My start & domestic battery switches have a parallel switch in between which is supposed to be used in emergencies if the start battery fails, but connecting jump leads would do the same thing.

Edited by blackrose

We once were asked to provide a tow to a but we had to decline as we were hirers at the time and we were not allowed to the couple reluctantly accepted our explanation.

I would take a different stance now with our own boat.

I guess we appeared unhelpful to them.

Edited by MJG

I'm with Alan, I'd give it a go, or try and help as best I could - but I don't carry jump leads long enough to jump another boat...

I guess he could've pulled his started battery out, and I'd have jumped it onto my bank and left it to charge for half an hour whilst enjoying a cuppa and a chat. That would probably have done it.

PC

PS: Tow starting a boat, possible? Discuss... (Thinking that sailboats often run shaft generators using the prop when under sail power, for leccy etc...)

We once were asked to provide a tow to a boat bit we had to decline as we were hitters at the time and we were not allowed to the couple reluctantly accepted our explanation.

Yes, I can see there would be risks involved there!

Perhaps it's a bit of both, the boater didn't really know what to do, and might have helped if they hadn't felt a bit nervous of the 'hippy' boater.

I always offer to help, even if I don't know how. I say "Sure, but you will have to show me how" with a smile. And nervous about a hippie? What harm could a hippie do? Hug you to death? :)

I don't understand why any boater would try to jump start another boat from batteries in situ with very long leads. It is such a simple job to turn off the power, take out a charged battery, place it in close proximity to the other boat's starter, and jump start the engine by connecting to the earth and jumping the positive lead to the starter terminal.

Tone

I don't understand why any boater would try to jump start another boat from batteries in situ with very long leads. It is such a simple job to turn off the power, take out a charged battery.............

Tone

Not in one of our boats, it isn't!

And if the engine was hot, I wouldn't even think about trying it!