Lister HR2

mykaskin

Featured Posts

Not 100% sure from the film but that looks a very good demonstration of how not to hand start an engine.

Never have your thumb around the starting handle, if it kick back then its a very painfull and awkward bone that gets broken and it stays with you for the rest of your life. Please all fingers and thumb on top of the starting handle

Not 100% sure from the film but that looks a very good demonstration of how not to hand start an engine.

Never have your thumb around the starting handle, if it kick back then its a very painfull and awkward bone that gets broken and it stays with you for the rest of your life. Please all fingers and thumb on top of the starting handle

The advice is good especially for a Lister, but in reality diesels will very rarely kick back in the way the patrol engines can, unless a serious overdose of easystart is being used.

The risk with most models of Lister diesel, with raised hand start, is that the ratchet on the crankshaft sprocket is prone to slipping, usually just at the moment when you put in that extra grunt to get the engine over compression.

Tim

As someone sensibly brought up the topic of hand starting be careful! I once hand started a large diesel only to have the handle crack in half just as I dropped the de-compressors. The handle remains swung around the handle and smashed my face in. Re-constructive surgery isn't a fun hobby! ALWAYS be very careful starting any engine.They bite!