lister HRW2

paddy r

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like this could be the best of the post JP bunch for use in a narrowboat, having larger bore (4¼") than HA/HB series with water cooling for reliability.

The higher max power revs (2200rpm) suggest bearing components & design improved over earlier models.

Seems like this could be the best of the post JP bunch for use in a narrowboat, having larger bore (4¼") than HA/HB series with water cooling for reliability.

The higher max power revs (2200rpm) suggest bearing components & design improved over earlier models.

Actually IMO the HA/B2 makes an excellent engine for (ex-working) Narrow Boats. I've known boats where the HR was less successful because the higher revs can dictate a smaller prop unless proper thought is given to reduction ratios etc. Maybe for a modern shallower draughted boat with separate engine room the HR makes a better choice.

I'm not sure how water cooling confers greater reliability, probably the opposite as there's more to go wrong, but it certainly does have other benefits (quieter, cooler).

Tim

Actually IMO the HA/B2 makes an excellent engine for (ex-working) Narrow Boats. I've known boats where the HR was less successful because the higher revs can dictate a smaller prop unless proper thought is given to reduction ratios etc. Maybe for a modern shallower draughted boat with separate engine room the HR makes a better choice.

I'm not sure how water cooling confers greater reliability, probably the opposite as there's more to go wrong, but it certainly does have other benefits (quieter, cooler).

Tim

Take your point about engine revs although gearbox ratio should fix that. Water cooling ensures more constant block temperature. Easier to fix a leaky pipe than crack in some major part of engine however unlikely. Then there's the other advantages you mention to which you can add domestic water heating.

Personally don't like the look of cooling ducts & air hoses everywhere either. Now brass pipes even with a globule of water dripping off - that's character :rolleyes:

Would be interested to know of relative reliability of HA/B & HR series though. Or like for like HW & HRW series.

Edited by richardhula

Take your point about engine revs although gearbox ratio should fix that. Water cooling ensures more constant block temperature. Easier to fix a leaky pipe than crack in some major part of engine however unlikely. Then there's the other advantages you mention to which you can add domestic water heating.

Personally don't like the look of cooling ducts & air hoses everywhere either. Now brass pipes even with a globule of water dripping off - that's character :rolleyes:

Would be interested to know of relative reliability of HA/B & HR series though. Or like for like HW & HRW series.

I've not had much to do with HR engines long-term, but was involved for a number of years with maintaining two HA/B in Narrow Boats which worked for their livings, also owned (share) an HA3 in a Humber Keel which we took over large areas of France & the Low Countries (as well as 40 hours non-stop across the North Sea), often worked hard, always utterly reliable.

At the time when there was a steady market in these engines (used, mainly industrial) for export, I was told that the HA would routinely fetch a better price than the HR. That may or may not tell a story.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I think all of these Listers are fairly bomb proof, the Ha's are cheaper than the HR's, my brother's HR was only £350 and it had been fully reconditioned too. I think it's because the HR is a bit big for the average modern narrowboat and a bit high revving. We have an HR2, so air cooled, in Sleepy Hollow and it's a very nice engine, but a bit quick even in tickover...

Casp'

Of the two HR powered working boats I know, Trevor Maggs has a 3:1 gear box with a Crowthers high effeciency prop - goes real sweet, but lots of high revs.

The other is in Archimedes with a 2:1, and is now a little over prop'd. Sounds good though.

...and of course the HRW2 mentioned above!

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

We tend not to restore HRWs as it is notoriously difficult to get spare parts without a lot of searching. Commercially they do not command high enough prices to warrant the production of pattern parts or justify the hassle of parts hunting. It is a pity as they are a well made engine. IMO they are not in the JP league though.

• 2 months later...

I had a Lister HRW2 fitted to my passenger narrow boat 'Apollo' in 1973, and it's been one of the best boating investments I have ever made. In 38 years it's only gone wrong once, gearbox problem. It's a perfect match for the boat which is heavy, and in deep water she goes like a dream. The sound is not, to my ears, unpleasant.

regards

David L

We have a 2.1 gear box and a 22x13 prop,every-one say how nice it sound's as we go past but we are usually goung at tick over.Black smoke's a bit on the river if we let her have her head,but thats only at max chat.