Fitting a narrowboat with a wheel chair lift.

Featured Posts

hi i realise that this thread is an old one but does anyone know is it easy to get a lift fitted bow and stern to a narrowboat these days also any suppliers out there it seems hard to flush em out colin

Nantwich Canal Centre fitted a wheel chair lift at the stern of a narrowboat (Kanbedun) in 1999 or 2000. It worked very well too.

hi cheers for answers . ive seen something called a power lift and same thing but cheaper motor lift but they only lift to a height of 24" 600mm ... generally would that be high enough to get up to the deck from inside floor?

Probably not.

Most boats have the floor 3-4 feet below the rear deck height.

Edited for tryping.

Edited by cuthound

Here is another idea, recently I had a look around the narrow boat Hargreaves on the Coventry canal. It is fitted out for wheelchairs. They have solved the access problem with a ramp, it goes down one side and so goes past the disabled loo and a small counter before entering the main cabin. Now this boards from the front not the back.

drawing-plan.jpg

This is the plan. I wondered if you could use a ramp to get down to a two foot drop then use a lift to save length on the ramp and put a room next to the ramp.

Cheers Graham

• 2 weeks later...

I own Shropshire Lass 1 it was built by stoke boats Longport same as Shropshire lass two ,you could also speak to Dave at Grahams boats Hillmorton he`s built one and is building anther next year.

I crew on Hargreaves and we find that the ramp is too steep at about 1 in 6. We had a near miss when an occupied wheel chair almost got away from the carer. We now have two people on hand when wheelchairs go on the ramp. We are planning a new boat and are looking at ways to either get rid of the ramp or get one that meets the 1 in 10 recommendation.

Top Cat

• 3 months later...
On 27/04/2006 at 7:14 PM, Wobbly Dick said:

Hi Gary!

I am disabled, but don't require a lift, but would be interested in ideas on easy access!

I would also be interested in anything/ideas that make life easier for disabled people cruising and living on board, PLEASE! :blush:

Hi has anyone thought about a stairlift .Second hand one would be good colin