SR3

luctor et emergo

Featured Posts

To make the most of this new section, I'll attempt to add a (hopefully) interresting blog about the finest lump of metal ever wrought by Man, the SR 3. Hard working, but in a somewhat dishevelled state, planned works include solving the oil leak(s) from the rocker covers, fixing the leaking fuel filter, and a de-grease and re-paint.

CopyofHoG021.jpg

Engine sans the hot air disposal tubes. Note the substantial pully/belt cover to the left. Most of the engine will be this green when finished. As will be the roof of the cabin...

DSCF5518.jpg

top view. The gear control needs a bit of work, lowering the hinge point, to shorten the throw of the control handle.

Photo0128.jpg

a more recent picture, showing the hot air tubes, which exit via the purpose made 'pigeon box' on the roof. The shelf unit under the side hatch came was found at a BW rubbish disposal point... people will throw anything away.

Photo0007.jpg

The controls, so much easier than a morse control. Below the switch panel on the right, is now finished off with two small doors (found, guess where..?), with a small shelf above.

Photo0125.jpg

close up of the offending rocker covers. The rag closes a small hole in the air shroud (for the cold start access?), which will be replaced with a rubber stop as per the other two. The exhaust manifold has already been painted with heat resistant stove paint. For the BSC it will need to be either covered with a guard, or with lagging.

Photo0129.jpg

The gearbox. What can I say... it's a gearbox. It does as it says on the tin. It will be green eventually.

Photo0109.jpg

Nothing to do with the engine, just showing off... :-)

More later

EDIT added the pictures.

Edited by luctor et emergo

There is a no. cast on the crankcase of my engine, 203-80010 LD there are no other no's or markings on the engine. Does anybody know what that could say about the engine?

Likewise, the Parsons reverse gear box has two no's, one on a plate on the top ( 20028 5900 35638 ), the other cast to the side of the body ( 800283 KF ).

I tried a search, but it's not easy on the phone...

Tia

To make the most of this new section, I'll attempt to add a (hopefully) interresting blog about the finest lump of metal ever wrought by Man, the SR 3. Hard working, but in a somewhat dishevelled state, planned works include solving the oil leak(s) from the rocker covers, fixing the leaking fuel filter, and a de-grease and re-paint.

Pics to follow.

with that description there is definately no doubt about the make :cheers: listers in general are leaky, noisy & dirty but hey who wants it any other way :cheers:

There is oil leaking from the cover? You mean the valve cover? I've heard about these oil leaks before so let me know exactly where the leak is.

If your fuel filter is a crosswell then, yes, I found them problematic. Mine leaked badly three times before I got it right. There is a tricky rubber seal around the lid that can be a bugger to fit right.

While you're at it, don't forget to clean up the injector fins (for air cooling) and you will probably have to get the carbon off as well.

Pics to follow.

I found a pool of oil under mine and was concerned. I checked my oil levels and they were O.K. Actually this could be an interesting thread. It's a pity there is no Haynes-type manual for the SR's.

Mine smokes a lot but when it's been running a while it normalises.

It's often said that you don't need a dipstick with an SR3. If it's leaking and smoking, it's got oil; if it isn't leaking or smoking, it's run out.

There is a no. cast on the crankcase of my engine, 203-80010 LD there are no other no's or markings on the engine. Does anybody know what that could say about the engine?

Likewise, the Parsons reverse gear box has two no's, one on a plate on the top ( 20028 5900 35638 ), the other cast to the side of the body ( 800283 KF ).

I tried a search, but it's not easy on the phone...

Tia

This should help if you can find the right number.

The 203-x is a part number, so won't tell you much I think.

The shinier of my two ST2s doesn't do much wrong apart from ooze oil from the rocker covers due to a lack of sealing compound on them. Have you noticed, Luctor, that the owners manual specifies a compound of some sort for every surface on the thing - about 20 different tubes of stuff, if you bought them all! :)

The other does lots wrong and is being nursed at the moment, mainly it's developed a diesel leak into the sump, probably from one of the HP pipes behind the fuel door. But of course the air trunking is on top, so I've not ventured in yet... :)

PC

The shinier of my two ST2s doesn't do much wrong apart from ooze oil from the rocker covers due to a lack of sealing compound on them. Have you noticed, Luctor, that the owners manual specifies a compound of some sort for every surface on the thing - about 20 different tubes of stuff, if you bought them all! :)

The other does lots wrong and is being nursed at the moment, mainly it's developed a diesel leak into the sump, probably from one of the HP pipes behind the fuel door. But of course the air trunking is on top, so I've not ventured in yet... :)

PC

You will probably find your diesel leak to the sump is caused by a crack in the injector leak off pipe usually were they are silver soldered.The small pipe inside the rocker covers. It`s worth looking there first as you may not have to remove th crankcase door + the small union that screws into the injector are also prone to leak They are very easy to get cross threaded

Cheers all, and Paul, I know what you mean... I tried to make rocker cover gaskets from cereal packet cardboard, but they have not improved matters.

Try cork gasket material, in days gone by in my hire fleet days, I had almost 100% success rate using it, with Blue HYLOMAR jointing compound on both side it seems to do the trick [ Don`t go mad tightening them down & leave the goo to go off for 10mins or so]

Bump, added the pictures to the OP.

Good piccies! I'm jealous of it being in an engine room.

The cold start holes are supposed to have hollow plungers in them, you take them out, fill with engine oil and plunge back in.

You may find a wine bottle cork fits lovely, 'cause that's what my ST2 has in them. Pain having to drink the two bottles first, honest... ;)

You will probably find your diesel leak to the sump is caused by a crack in the injector leak off pipe usually were they are silver soldered.The small pipe inside the rocker covers. It`s worth looking there first as you may not have to remove th crankcase door + the small union that screws into the injector are also prone to leak They are very easy to get cross threaded

I'll have a look there first, thanks for that. Whatever has happened, has happened by itself - as in, without me going near it! :D

PC

Including Bostik glue. Don't know if they still sell it.

PC

Any plans to remove carbon deposits?

Bump, added the pictures to the OP.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have fitted an electronic oil pressure gauge/matched sender to my SR4 today, the SR4 was out of an agriculrel corn drying plant, probably only used once a year at harvest time, not sure of the year yet, cos i forgot my glasses and could not read the number! 2 hours on tick over 31psi !!!!!! flat outish 41psi. i was concernd about what it would be, but ignorace is no excuse. so over the moon that. cheers.

• 1 year later...

Been a while, so let's crack on.

The SR3 has given good service, unlike the Parsons gearbox, which needed a bit of a rebuild last year. The SR has increased the leak age from the rocker covers, and also leaks a fair bit from the join betwen the heads and pushrod housing. New gaskets are needed, and I suspect that at least one of the rocker covers need to be skimmed. All this hopefuly later this year, when I plan to do a de-coke.

As for the smoking, I have a suspicion that that may partly be down to filling up oil via the rocker cover oil filler cap. Somebody mentioned elsewhere that that may result in a lot of oil sitting above the valve stems, and leaking in that way.. I will keep a closer eye, but I do think that the smoking issue is worse when I have just topped up the oil. Tomorrow I will have a go at adjusting the tappet clearance, to see if I can reduce the noise a bit.

Were would one fit an oil pressure gauge? There must be a point where the gubbins srew into the engine?

Been a while, so let's crack on.

The SR3 has given good service, unlike the Parsons gearbox, which needed a bit of a rebuild last year. The SR has increased the leak age from the rocker covers, and also leaks a fair bit from the join betwen the heads and pushrod housing. New gaskets are needed, and I suspect that at least one of the rocker covers need to be skimmed. All this hopefuly later this year, when I plan to do a de-coke.

As for the smoking, I have a suspicion that that may partly be down to filling up oil via the rocker cover oil filler cap. Somebody mentioned elsewhere that that may result in a lot of oil sitting above the valve stems, and leaking in that way.. I will keep a closer eye, but I do think that the smoking issue is worse when I have just topped up the oil. Tomorrow I will have a go at adjusting the tappet clearance, to see if I can reduce the noise a bit.

Were would one fit an oil pressure gauge? There must be a point where the gubbins srew into the engine?

Are you sure your engine is an SR3 Luc. Those valve covers ''rocker covers'' look decidedly ST3 to me, taller, different shape and not interchangeable with SR covers on SR cylinder heads. The ST engines are a later series of engines than the SR series, almost identical visually though, higher revving, a little noisier and higher power. The SR3 is around 20hp the ST3 around 28hp. I find the ST engines just as indestructable as the SR engines, my boat has an ST2.

From the pics I agree with bizzard that it looks like an st3 due to the exposed cylinder head nuts

For oil dilution have a look on our website under technical

Peter has written a divinitive document on the subject

With a rocker cover off on the head should bd a casting number this will give me x definite as to what engine you have

Atb

Chris

There would normally be a small plate riveted to the engines surrounding air ducting tin plating often fixed just above the flywheel housing stating numbers including ST and MGR if a pucker marine engine, but of course this might be missing or the tin plating cobbled up in the past out of any old bits of ST or SR plating or you might have an adapted industrial engine.

You can reface your rocker cover faces yourself by gently rubbing them with circular motions upon a large sheet of fine emery or grey production paper placed upon a large mirror glass.

Right, covers off, and whilst it is very difficult to decipher due to the obstructed view, and less than crisp casting, I think it is as follows:

2?184030 and a p in a circel at the end. Not 100% sure about the 3, but it looks like one.

Time to cut new gaskets. I'll upload pics later at work.

No bleeding luck with the pictures, but at least I now know that my engine is an ST, not an SR.

On a happier note, I finally managed to stop the rocker covers from leaking oil!! New cut gaskets and a measured coating of gasket seal have done the job. Small shake down trip to Bathampton today, big shake down to Hanham tomorrow. Then back to Bath on Thursday for the flaoting river party..

Chris, is it just the rocker cover gaskets that are different, or are others, like head gaskets, different too? I'm planning on doing a de-coke and valve job this summer, because she does smoke a lot, but on the other hand, she starts and runs so sweet, I'm hesitant to take her apart. 'if it ain't broke...'