Reversing Home!

sue.stew

Featured Posts

Has anyone advice/tips to a fairly new boatee that is having trouble reversing her boat into the marina moorings! Can just about get there on a calm day but due to the viscious side wind just outside of the mooring it is near enough impossible to even attempt. Has to be reversed due to the lovely view from the lived in part of the boat (bow).

Any advice greatfully received.

Sue

Has anyone advice/tips to a fairly new boatee that is having trouble reversing her boat into the marina moorings! Can just about get there on a calm day but due to the viscious side wind just outside of the mooring it is near enough impossible to even attempt. Has to be reversed due to the lovely view from the lived in part of the boat (bow).

Sue

Well, the thing is, that's generally how it is. Narrowboats don't often reverse well, and a side wind makes it really hard no matter how much experience you have.

You may perhaps be able to let the wind help you, but it often works against you

Richard

Are you single handed ?

If not, somebody up front wielding a long shaft in a suitable manner will be the most helpful thing you can have, (unless of course you already have one of those much maligned bow-thrusters! :lol:).

If it's just you though, and it's a windy day, I reckon trying to reverse in between other boats and on to pontoons is one of the trickiest of all the manoeuvres to get right.

Most narrow boats in reverse, with the tiller held dead straight, and no wind, do not actually reverse in a straight line, either. The rotation of the prop is usually enough to "walk" the back end off course, which will usually result in an even bigger swing of the front end the other way.

I strongly recommend taking your boat to a clear non wind-swept bit of canal, with no spectators, and simply keep seeing if you can first stop in a straight line, and then manage to go backwards and hold a course. Often swinging the tiller to counteract the way the boat naturally turns can help.

Until you can do this fairly consistently, (and I certainly can't yet with our recently bought working boat!), it stands to reason that being spot on, backwards, into narrow spaces, without somoene with a pole, is never going to be easy.

A friend who has boated a 70 foot boat for years tells me she never just "hovers" waiting for locks. She uses the time to practice manoeuvring to different bits of the available canal, just to prove she can! This is best done initially with no audience, although you can usually guarantee if you start off with no audience, then cock up badly, there is usually someone who has just arrived in time to see you do it! :lol:

Bow Thrusters !

(Taking cover now before the shells start landing) :D

The trouble is that a bow thruster doesn't necessarily do a heap to aid you reversing a narrow boat into a narrow gap, if the back isn't lined up with the "hole" either!

You would really need both a bow and a stern thruster that could overcome the strongest wind that might blow transversely, if you are to rely on thrusters rather than skill!

Sue

I think a lot of experienced boaters would struggle to reverse onto pontoons in the current very high winds.

The last time we came back to our pontoon it was similarly windy and I totally ballsed up three attempts hitting our pontoon and dragging two of the end caps off (I did tell the marina office what I'd done) eventually giving up and going in forwards.

It might be stating the obvious but any technique you can apply does depend on which way the wind is blowing in relation to where you want to be.

I find the easiest one to contend with is when the wind is blowing across at 90 degrees and depending on direction you either turn short or over shoot and let the wind carry you to where you want the boat to line up and reverse. The timing of the reverse is crucial because if you get it wrong the wind will start to carry the bow as your stern passes the pontoon end, meaning you end up at an embarrassing angle wedged in between the two pontoons or the next boat and your pontoon.

The main thing about reversing is not to waste your time trying to put the boat where you want it, but spend the time profitably thinking up your excuses why the place the boat wants to go is where you wanted to be anyway

• Greenie 1

Totally agree with all of the above, it has to be the trickiest move. I however have found a solution that never fails - my better half takes care of it. I don't know if she is a natural, or if its just intuitive but I just seem to over think the situation and make a mess every time.

The main thing about reversing is not to waste your time trying to put the boat where you want it, but spend the time profitably thinking up your excuses why the place the boat wants to go is where you wanted to be anyway

Excellent post. I can only add that the best approach, having run your bows aground with your arse end out in the canal, that you step frimly from the boat, nod approvingly at it, say "Excellent!", and stride off purposefully to the pub. Don't look back.

We've had this boat for four years now and I still have difficulty reversing even in calm weather. With no wind sometimes the bow swings to port and other times to starboard so prop walk is not causing my woes. Using the tiller makes virtually no difference. The last boat was much easier.

Many thanks to you all - I guess it really helps just knowing that it`s not that easy for the professionals either. Looking a pratt is something I`m getting used to, although (forgive me ladies!) I think it is expected as the norm for us females not to quite get things right. I will continue to `have a go` or how else am I going to get it right!

Sue

I can only add that the best approach, having run your bows aground with your arse end out in the canal, that you step frimly from the boat, nod approvingly at it, say "Excellent!", and stride off purposefully to the pub. Don't look back.

Do you try to maintain the same kind of nonchalant look that one is forced top adopt if your boat has motored out of a lock, with you not on it ?

Trying to look unconcerned from the bank, whilst it makes up it's mind which side to head for is not my best boating skill, but it's a relief if it does rejoin the tow-path side neatly, and you can step "expertly" back and be on your way as if you intended that to happen!.......

My bow always goes to the left when in reverse, except when I want/expect it to.

I have developed a rather nonchalant pose, facial expression, that way the boat does everything I want it to. :lol:

My bow always goes to the left when in reverse, except when I want/expect it to.

I have developed a rather nonchalant pose, facial expression, that way the boat does everything I want it to. :lol:

Excellent post. I can only add that the best approach, having run your bows aground with your arse end out in the canal, that you step frimly from the boat, nod approvingly at it, say "Excellent!", and stride off purposefully to the pub. Don't look back.

Genius!- will try this one more often in future!

Do you try to maintain the same kind of nonchalant look that one is forced top adopt if your boat has motored out of a lock, with you not on it ?

Trying to look unconcerned from the bank, whilst it makes up it's mind which side to head for is not my best boating skill, but it's a relief if it does rejoin the tow-path side neatly, and you can step "expertly" back and be on your way as if you intended that to happen!.......

Another excellent time to use this look is as you climb out of the canal having exited the boat on the "wet side" - happened to me once many years ago - I've got no idea why I walked off the wrong side, stone cold sober and full daylight :banghead:

Edited by JonL

Many thanks to you all - I guess it really helps just knowing that it`s not that easy for the professionals either. Looking a pratt is something I`m getting used to, although (forgive me ladies!) I think it is expected as the norm for us females not to quite get things right. I will continue to `have a go` or how else am I going to get it right!

Sue

Picking up on the post about barge poles, don't be afraid to use poles and ropes to do tricky manoeuvres. The working boaters would if it saved time, we will use either or both as necessary

Richard

Sue

I recall, a few years ago, we arrived at Bancroft Basin (Stratford upon Avon), mid afternoon, and on a sunny day.

Never in the history of boating had a boat been faced with so many cameras around so many oriental necks.

Bev inocently asked whether we were going to moor nose first or stern first.

I was very clear! Any cock ups were going to happen at breakfast the next day, when there was no crowd.

As Dave says, you can steer going in bow-first, so I'd do that for now. The lack of steering when reversing back out isn't so much of a problem because you're going from the tight space into a wider one.

I appreciate you want to be t'other way round, but you can always turn the boat when the weather is more amenable.

In the meantime your gas locker and water filler are now most likely at the accessible end (depending on the boat), so take the opportunity to do anything you need to do there.

Practicing slow speed manouvering whilst bobbing for locks is something I do a lot, and it's good fun. Having said that my boat is quite responsive. The old one was a bugger and needed tying up at the first sign of high winds!

The trouble is that a bow thruster doesn't necessarily do a heap to aid you reversing a narrow boat into a narrow gap, if the back isn't lined up with the "hole" either!

You would really need both a bow and a stern thruster that could overcome the strongest wind that might blow transversely, if you are to rely on thrusters rather than skill!

They do as much as the rudder does going forward if the bow is not lined up with the hole. Its just the skill with which they are used.

As Dave says, you can steer going in bow-first, so I'd do that for now. The lack of steering when reversing back out isn't so much of a problem because you're going from the tight space into a wider one.

I appreciate you want to be t'other way round, but you can always turn the boat when the weather is more amenable.

In the meantime your gas locker and water filler are now most likely at the accessible end (depending on the boat), so take the opportunity to do anything you need to do there.

Practicing slow speed manouvering whilst bobbing for locks is something I do a lot, and it's good fun. Having said that my boat is quite responsive. The old one was a bugger and needed tying up at the first sign of high winds!

You have hit the nail.........

I did have to turn her last week so she was nose first but it was driving me crazy, in the end I used the centre line and then had some help with the stern line. Want to take her out at the weekend but feel that I am now at the mercy of the weather.

Thanks for your help!

Sue

You have hit the nail.........

I did have to turn her last week so she was nose first but it was driving me crazy, in the end I used the centre line and then had some help with the stern line. Want to take her out at the weekend but feel that I am now at the mercy of the weather.

Thanks for your help!

Sue

D'you know, if you want to appear really clever, turn her around only using ropes from the bank. To me, that would show real understanding of the boat and the conditions

Richard

D'you know, if you want to appear really clever, turn her around only using ropes from the bank. To me, that would show real understanding of the boat and the conditions

Richard

That was my plan originally but was concerned that I would have complaints from `neighbours` as the jetties are not quite 40ft, my boat is! I think it worked by chance only but had asked one of the marina chaps to help (this advice was suggested from one of my neighbours) got a very strange response so decided to have a go alone, doing that alot lately!