Half Price Nicholsons

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Yep, they (Nicholson's) have done every three years for a long time now, next new one due 2012.

They do not change that much though.

No they dont change much, they still wrongly identify water points, fail to show rubbish points and put loads of claptrap in about churches where they should be giving usefull info to do with boating and walking ( Never cycling I hope ) :glare:

No they dont change much, they still wrongly identify water points, fail to show rubbish points and put loads of claptrap in about churches where they should be giving usefull info to do with boating and walking ( Never cycling I hope )

But do you email them (link on their website) with updated information?

I recently sent in a couple of corrections and received a grateful response, highlighting how important it is to get updates from boaters.

Incidently next issue of "four counties & welsh canals" is due out in sprin g 2012 and I exsepect others will have a new edition then also.

No they dont change much, they still wrongly identify water points, fail to show rubbish points and put loads of claptrap in about churches where they should be giving usefull info to do with boating and walking ( Never cycling I hope ) :glare:

:P

and whilst you're on the subject of walking they do that REALLY ANNOYING thing of blurring out all the edges of the Ordnance Survey maps that they use so when you're out with the dog, you suddenly get lost as you've ended up 'in the mist' as him indoors refers to it.

AND as canoe owners I've noticed they never really mark waterways that are accessible by canoe, you've got to guess.

..........loads of claptrap in about churches where they should be giving usefull info to do with boating and walking ( Never cycling I hope ) :glare:

Oi! I like churches, tho' not religious. If it weren't for Nicholsons I wouldn't have discovered several real gems, such as at Wolfhampcote, very near Braunston. You can't please everyone, but I think they've got it about right, give and take some inaccuracies mostly due to the changing scene. If you compare them to the awful Imray Guides to the East Anglian waterways, for example, then you'll really appreciate Nicholsons.

Mac

Edited to add to Lady M : I met a canoeist who had a map of all the canoeable waterways of England & Wales. It was from the British Canoe Federation (?)

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

It's a little cheaper than the permanent prices on Amazon, but not a lot, I think.

You can usually buy on Amazon at around £8.50 per guide.

I checked Amazon first and the only one that undercut it was a 2000 edition + postage.

The permanent price on Amazon is between £8.30 and £8.70 and you can choose to have anything over £5 sent with no postage or delivery charge.

The permanent price on Amazon is between £8.30 and £8.70 and you can choose to have anything over £5 sent with no postage or delivery charge.

We have a retail shop by the canal, with book website, and customers often say that when they try to buy some canal books from Amazon, they're "out of stock". We do know of quite a few canal books listed on the Amazon website that just aren't available, and never will be (e.g. published by the author, and only available from him or selected outlets). Amazon seem to list just about all books, even if they can't possibly obtain them.

So, unless you know that you can get the book from Amazon, please treat their listings with extreme caution.

As a retailer, I am of course annoyed that Amazon can buy books for far less than we have to pay the wholesaler or publisher. They typically get a 60% discount on the marked price, whereas we get perhaps half that. But we CAN supply the book you want, when Amazon may not be able to, and most retailers sell a far larger selection of canal books than Amazon. We have around 450 titles at www.canalbookshop.co.uk, and you can talk to us and discuss your needs.

Please come and see us in the Kingfisher marquee at Crick, or ring us!

Audlem Mill

But do you email them (link on their website) with updated information?

I recently sent in a couple of corrections and received a grateful response, highlighting how important it is to get updates from boaters.

Incidently next issue of "four counties & welsh canals" is due out in sprin g 2012 and I exsepect others will have a new edition then also.

Hi

No I dont email them, they have turned theses things out with words like " New edition " etc emblazoned on the front for years. Surely to be right by Joe public they should research themselves each waterway prior to so called new editions being printed. They even have the gaul to have them printed in China to make themselves even more money. I am sure that for very little money ccers could update the info on every canal properly for a small fee if they approached some. :)

Hi

No I dont email them, they have turned theses things out with words like " New edition " etc emblazoned on the front for years. Surely to be right by Joe public they should research themselves each waterway prior to so called new editions being printed. They even have the gaul to have them printed in China to make themselves even more money. I am sure that for very little money ccers could update the info on every canal properly for a small fee if they approached some. :)

My mate bought the latest edition for The South last month and is not much different to mine printed in 1982. Yes his edition is printed in China and mine was printed by Chorley and Pickersgill in Leeds. Seems like mine has exactly the same canals as his!!! Actually mine is far better as it covers more canals in one book. In 1983 it would appear they only published 3 books North, Central and South and it cost £5.95

When I started boating, I found Nicholson's extremely useful - even the old ones where the maps were not properly orientated (with North at the top) and not printed in colour either.

It is a few years now since I last bought one - I rarely look at them now because they have been supplanted by a collection of OS maps together with a growing volume of on-line information.

Something I find particularly useful is older Ordnance Survey maps - these can be accessed on line here - but these are great for identifying the redundant sites and structures like disused railways, old canal lines, long gone quarries and factories etc., that we sometimes encounter.

Currently finding the location of 'The Olde Shippe Inn' at Braunston with the aid of an 1884 map . . .

The very idea of getting timely travel information from a piece of paper that was printed years ago is rapidly becoming laughable. Laughable not because of computers and laptops, they are far too clunky. Smartphones and iPads are the only way to do timely information like this. Change is happening and it is happening much faster than most people realise.

Until you have actually stood at the tiller, iPad in hand, and quickly checked something on CanalPlanner then you don't know what I am on about!

The very idea of getting timely travel information from a piece of paper that was printed years ago is rapidly becoming laughable. Laughable not because of computers and laptops, they are far too clunky. Smartphones and iPads are the only way to do timely information like this. Change is happening and it is happening much faster than most people realise.

Until you have actually stood at the tiller, iPad in hand, and quickly checked something on CanalPlanner then you don't know what I am on about!

Sorry I must be missing something here. Are there a lot more locks than my 1982 edition? Ah maybe a few more bends? Or has the distance between locks changed?

Can't argue with that, BUT, when the inevitable happens, a printed canal guide should float long enough to get recovered, and will still work once dried out. Do iPads float?

Sorry I must be missing something here. Are there a lot more locks than my 1982 edition? Ah maybe a few more bends? Or has the distance between locks changed?

Some of the recent editions have managed to omit locks (that do exist!) that were correctly in the earlier ones.

Having just travelled down the Northern Oxford though, and looking at the parlous state of some of the over-bridges, one can only imagine that future editions, if properly updated, will show less and less of them.

I have old Nicholson's that both show most of the K & A as not yet restored, and also refer to plans to build a new city at Milton Keynes!

So yes, one does occasionally need to update them, even if not that often.

You are indeed missing something - water-points and other facilities, are they working, are they closed. Has that pub closed down. Is there a new restaurant just opened? Is there a stoppage, has the stoppage ended? Timely information! :-)

Hi

As your anonimous I have no idea your age ? I bet u r nearer 12 than 50 ? :D This modern expensive technology has a place ( School )

but as with the Kindle it will never outsell proper printed books there is no comparison, and the feel and look and smell of a book will always be wanted by many people well into the future. Keep paying silly money for a glorified telephone someone has to keep China in business....... B)