some summer wood

Featured Posts

My neighbour, since retiring has turned into a hormonal busybody, likely to turn on anything that comes to her tiny mind and she is never, ever, ever wrong and mithers over the tiniest thing.

She has now turned her attention to a nice Fir Tree in my garden that borders our properties, it is about 8ft away from her extended property (not sure which came first) and causing no problem to either house. (interesting to note they have planted an ash tree about ten feet from the back of thier property)

I can see her measuring the distance between the tree and her house on a regular basis (like whats going to change)

Ive had, "my car is getting dirty and I'm going to trim your tree" (we have said go ahead) "to my driveway (block paving) is being damaged, chop your tree down", to "I hope you have good insurance", "it is contravening building regs" etc etc.

Its a shame, cos we regarded them as good friends but lately she has become a bit weird.

Normally, this sort of bullying would be water off a ducks back and she would get short shrift. But as I want to put the house on the market later this year, I'm inclined to take this 30ft tree down. (district council says its OK...shame!) for the sake of keeping the peace and ensuring I have no disputes to legally declare in the sale.

SO!! down it shall come in the next month or so and I will have a 30ft trunk which will make a nice bit of fire wood for somebody rather than take it to the recycle centre.

Is there anyone near the St Neots Cambridge (river Gt Ouse)area, who would like the wood?

I have a van and would happily transport if for you for the price of the diesel.

Jim

Edited by jim and pat dalton

a nice Fir Tree

SO!! down it shall come in the next month or so and I will have a 30ft trunk which will

need seasoning for an awfully long time if it's Leylandii

Sorry but Words of Warning need out.

Leylandii...Rats with roots.

On the other hand, if it is a nice straight mature fir tree, burning is a bit of a waste and there might be someone out there who could use it planked.

Edited by carlt

Leylandii...Rats with roots.

On the other hand, if it is a nice straight mature fir tree, burning is a bit of a waste and there might be someone out there who could use it planked.

Long shafts?

:lol: :lol:

Tim

If it is a really big tree, taking it out might cause building damage as the ground reabsorbs water and heaves

Richard

depends on the subsoil, clay will heave but even this will depend to a large degree on species, type of clay and so on.

the whole area affected by the roots,(even not affected by the roots seasonal groundwater changes can have similar effects) will heave and shrink on a seasonal basis anyway and it also depends upon foundation type, construction of building

The whole subject is a bit of a minefield :unsure:

<snip>

The whole subject is a bit of a minefield :unsure:

I bow to your experience*, and I wanted to illustrate that it might not just be as simple as cutting the tree down

Richard

*Tree Monkey, sounds like you should know a bit about trees

• Greenie 1

I bow to your experience*, and I wanted to illustrate that it might not just be as simple as cutting the tree down

Richard

*Tree Monkey, sounds like you should know a bit about trees

20 odd years growing, planting, pruning and cutting the buggers down, now work in an office producing reports telling other people if their trees are safe or not, funny old world ;)

you are right it is oftern not as simple as just cutting them down. Most people see trees and see a problem not many understand the issue of ground heave and the effects.

I like that... have a greenie!

never worked for me :( but has for everyone else I will give it another go this year.

Maybe try it with something other than unseasoned Leylandii ;)

should be perfect stuffed full of flamable tars, which is why it is a bad stove wood block up your stack as soon as look at it, have you ever had a leylandii bonfire :lol:

I have never tried it for candles but I do think it should work

I have watched a leylandi go up, it was very spectacular

Pic of the tree, its not a good one i'm afraid

Ive got two leylandi at the end of my garden (about 40ft high) and they are very different in branch and density and leaf to this one

1306139729.jpg

I guess at a lawson cypress of some type Chamaecyparis lawsoniana rather than the hybrid leylandii X cupressocyparis leylandii [/i, the photos not great :unsure:

They do vary in form and colour greatly within species and to be honest both look similar and do the same job

A weed is only a plant growing in the wrong place if you like it, its your garden ignore the Chelsea Garden mafia :lol:

My neighbour, since retiring has turned into a hormonal busybody, likely to turn on anything that comes to her tiny mind and she is never, ever, ever wrong and mithers over the tiniest thing.

She has now turned her attention to a nice Fir Tree in my garden that borders our properties, it is about 8ft away from her extended property (not sure which came first) and causing no problem to either house. (interesting to note they have planted an ash tree about ten feet from the back of thier property)

I can see her measuring the distance between the tree and her house on a regular basis (like whats going to change)

Ive had, "my car is getting dirty and I'm going to trim your tree" (we have said go ahead) "to my driveway (block paving) is being damaged, chop your tree down", to "I hope you have good insurance", "it is contravening building regs" etc etc.

Its a shame, cos we regarded them as good friends but lately she has become a bit weird.

Normally, this sort of bullying would be water off a ducks back and she would get short shrift. But as I want to put the house on the market later this year, I'm inclined to take this 30ft tree down. (district council says its OK...shame!) for the sake of keeping the peace and ensuring I have no disputes to legally declare in the sale.

SO!! down it shall come in the next month or so and I will have a 30ft trunk which will make a nice bit of fire wood for somebody rather than take it to the recycle centre.

Is there anyone near the St Neots Cambridge (river Gt Ouse)area, who would like the wood?

I have a van and would happily transport if for you for the price of the diesel.

Jim

Jim

I can give a home to it. Give us a shout when you drop it and I shall come and pick it up, chainsaw in hand

Edited by Pinkatpole

Jim

I can give a home to it. Give us a shout when you drop it and I shall come and pick it up, chainsaw in hand

Thanks, will do, should be down in the next month. would love to get a preservation order on it tho

Tree Monkey, thanks I read on Wiki thats its a popular wood for making coffins. I you hear of an old lady in Cambridgeshire going missing!!!!!! :)

Tree Monkey, thanks I read on Wiki thats its a popular wood for making coffins. I you hear of an old lady in Cambridgeshire going missing!!!!!! :)

Good luck, the number of times I have heard " I do so love trees but that one" followed by an excuse why the love of trees doesn't extend to the tree next door or in front of the house whatever you, won't belive :banghead: and it does tend to be the older generation :rolleyes: