now I know why people use brokers !!

dizzyknits

Featured Posts

I asked a while ago if boats really needed to be sold through a broker, anyway we went down route of ads on apolloduck and latterly ebay. I now realise why people use brokers.

So far it has not been a very good experience, we have lost count the amount of times we have arranged to let someone come to view the boat

and have been left sitting twiddling our thumbs , waiting and waiting..........and waiting..............and waiting :banghead:

All of a sudden their mobile phone is unavailable, is it really too much to ask for someone to text, phone or email that they have changed their minds?

Flea bay have this best offer thing on their classified ads.....we were offered 6 quid!!!! I ask you 6 quid......nobody in their right mind would accept 6 quid for a narrowboat no matter what condition it was in lol

Well I am now off to meet another potential buyer............well that's if they bother to turn up !!!!! :help:

Edited by dizzyknits

Non communication is the modern way, mostly because the bar stewards are too chicken to give out bad news and are all too willing to wind folks up.

I have a friend who has been unemployed for over two years. It's not that he doesn't want to work. He's made countless job applications. Hardly anyone bothers to tell him he hasn't been successful after an interview, so he sits and waits, and waits, on tenterhooks, hopes rising, then slowly dashed. A nightmare. No wonder he's depressed.

Whatever happened to compassion?

Tone

Non communication is the modern way, mostly because the bar stewards are too chicken to give out bad news and are all too willing to wind folks up.

I have a friend who has been unemployed for over two years. It's not that he doesn't want to work. He's made countless job applications. Hardly anyone bothers to tell him he hasn't been successful after an interview, so he sits and waits, and waits, on tenterhooks, hopes rising, then slowly dashed. A nightmare. No wonder he's depressed.

Whatever happened to compassion?

Tone

Nothing has changed in 33 years then, it was like that when I was out of work.

Soon learnt that we will let you know ment I had not got the job.

And yes I was depressed as well.

Oh and dizzy I will offer you £7 lol

It went out of the window Tone, when we started banging on about 'equality','rights' & 'entitlements'. Anyway, to have compassion, you have to also have empathy( the abilty to project one's personality into - so fully comprhending- the object/person of contemplation) Current research(medical & criminal system) shows that without nurture, the Amygdala (part of the brain), does not develop the ability to feel or comprehend the feelings of others. Sad indictment of modern life I think.

I had a mate who was trying to sell a narrow boat and at the arranged time a potential buyer turned up, only he'd brought the whole family. Before he knew it he was making drinks for the kids and taking the boat out to show them how it all worked. It was only later when the bloke hadn't called back that he realised he'd been had and it was just a day out for the kids. :lol:

Edited by blackrose

I asked a while ago if boats really needed to be sold through a broker, anyway we went down route of ads on apolloduck and latterly ebay. I now realise why people use brokers.

So far it has not been a very good experience, we have lost count the amount of times we have arranged to let someone come to view the boat

and have been left sitting twiddling our thumbs , waiting and waiting..........and waiting..............and waiting :banghead:

All of a sudden their mobile phone is unavailable, is it really too much to ask for someone to text, phone or email that they have changed their minds?

Flea bay have this best offer thing on their classified ads.....we were offered 6 quid!!!! I ask you 6 quid......nobody in their right mind would accept 6 quid for a narrowboat no matter what condition it was in lol

Well I am now off to meet another potential buyer............well that's if they bother to turn up !!!!! :help:

Hi,

I note your problems, but there are brokers and then there are brokers - the one I chose to sell my boat in deepest, darkest November one year worked hard, it was sold to the first person she introduced and she maintained interest until completion - all for a flat fee of £500.

Same results were achieved for 2 friends of mine,

Leo

PS - No connection, other than being a happy customer.

Edited by LEO

I think it is like selling anything some you win and some you lose. Selling on a site like Apolloduck has a lot to do with the advertisement it needs to be very good and stand out from the rest. Maybe a link to your ad might be useful so that we can give some advise. I am not saying your add is no good but might be worth looking at. My friend Kris who's ad I also put on here sold his boat within 3 weeks last year to the second viewer.

As for people not getting back yes that does seem a common thing nowadays.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Maybe a link to your ad might be useful so that we can give some advise.

Someone here might even show up and buy it.

Edit: Apolloduck says it's sold already.

Edited by Caprifool
  • Greenie 1

I had a mate who was trying to sell a narrow boat and at the arranged time a potential buyer turned up, only he'd brought the whole family. Before he knew it he was making drinks for the kids and taking the boat out to show them how it all worked. It was only later when the bloke hadn't called back that he realised he'd been had and it was just a day out for the kids. :lol:

When Gertrude, the Nurser butty, was for sale, by a friend, the couple who ultimately bought it, asked if they could have some time alone in the back cabin, to chat about it, and "get the vibe".

After some time passed, and they didn't reappear, Dave went to see how they were getting on.

They'd got into bed and were fast asleep.

good news... this couple turned up, loved the boat and left substantial deposit and a cheque to be paid in and wait until has cleared....

...am amazed, but on other hand sad to see old girl go, but then that's just me!!!

ps thanks to you all who offered advice, I would have readily taken this up if we had not been successful this time

Edited by dizzyknits

Glad it worked in the end, and hoe everything is swift and painless from now on.. Maybe fate just needed that rant! (you know, in the same way as "I can't find my, keys, I've looked everywhere and... oh, there they are")

Nothing worse than tidying up and waiting in and waiting and nothing tho - grrr