Dogs on boats

johnmck

Featured Posts

Hi.

It has always been my dream to retire and have my own narrowboat. The dream has almost reached reality, with our launch scheduled for the 06/06/11.

http://nb-triskaideka.blogspot.com/

But....

Part of the dream was to enjoy the luxury of more time with our Dog, Ben.

Sadly this all ended on the 18/05/11 when we were present when his life ended. Ben was but 10 years. A Welsh Springer spaniel. You could not have wished for a more faithful and loving dog. But....

The Breed in my opinion has a very narrow blood line. There are few breeders, according to the Kennel club and here, in my humble opinion, lies the problem. The breed is so interbred that medical problems are inevitable. Ben had a stroke at four years, was then diagnosed with a Thyroid condition, but continued throughout to show a zest for life and love for both of us. We knew he would never make old bones, but loved the little bugger all the more. We were blessed to know him. It was the most traumatic day of my life when I had to hold him as the vet ended his life. His love was greater than his failing heart and to let him live on but for a short time would of been for us, not for him.

We are devastated as you can appreciate.

The Rant is against the Kennel club that sets such Breed Standards to the detriment of the animals health.

The request is for advice. We will have another dog when the time is right. We love Spaniels, but are open to suggestions.

I suppose I am posting this in grief and it probably makes little sense, but what breed have you found best adapted to life on the cut?

Please view our blog via the link for a few photo's of Ben.

Know I am rambling somewhat, but any advice appreciated.

John.

Edited by johnmck

John

Rant understandable, very sorry for the loss of such a good mate.

We are awaiting delivery of a wee Package, a Labrador. Much thought went into this, as you would expect. The decision was predicated around their nature and how well they would suit canals- purely my opinion and that of my family. She/He joins us the end of July and first boaty experience with said dog will be as soon as the vet gives the all clear.

Regards

Paul n Co

Www.canalblog23.blogspot.com

Hi.

It has always been my dream to retire and have my own narrowboat. The dream has almost reached reality, with our launch scheduled for the 06/06/11.

But....

Sadly this all ended on the 18/05/11 when we were present when his life ended. Ben was but 10 years. A Welsh Springer spaniel. You could not have wished for a more faithful and loving dog. But....

The Breed in my opinion has a very narrow blood line. There are few breeders, according to the Kennel club and here, in my humble opinion, lies the problem. The breed is so interbred that medical problems are inevitable. Ben had a stroke at four years, was then diagnosed with a Thyroid condition, but continued throughout to show a zest for life and love for both of us. We knew he would never make old bones, but loved the little bugger all the more. We were blessed to know him. It was the most traumatic day of my life when I had to hold him as the vet ended his life. His love was greater than his failing heart and to let him live on but for a short time would of been for us, not for him.

The Rant is against the Kennel club that sets such Breed Standards to the detriment of the animals health.

The request is for advice. We will have another dog when the time is right. We love Spaniels, but are open to suggestions.

I suppose I am posting this in grief and it probably makes little sense, but what breed have you found best adapted to life on the cut?

John.

Hi John

Sorry to hear your tale, our old boy a purebred Airedale had to go last year and tho we love Airedales he had genetic problems as with many so called pedigree dogs. We thought lets get a x breed to eliminate this so looked and found our Daisy she is a 1st cross between an Airedale and a Bernese mountain dog so we thought she would be ok. Alass she has got many skeletal problems similar to both breeds so it was not bred out, she is lead bound at the moment recovering from major operations ( c my pet insurance thread )

It appears that the good old scruffy heinz 57 dogs are far hardier ?

Regards

Tim

It's a sad day when a good pal passes away.

But, if you're thinking of getting another boat dog, might it be more practical to rescue a small mongrel? Mongrels tend to be healthier and live longer, and smaller dogs obviously take up much less space aboard, eat less and their poo is easier to remove from the towpath.

They are also easier to carry when necessary.

Tone

Hi John,

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Ben will live on for quite a while in your heart.

2 years ago, give or take a day or two, I cried my eyes out when we had to put Max, our Border Collie Cross, to sleep. I still miss him. Within a week I could no longer stand the quiet so off we went and found Zebedee, another collie cross, and then a year ago, we added Mopsey, another collie ........ I think that is enough :)

All our dogs come from rescue centres. I love em to bits. Max only lasted till he was 10, and though I wish it had been longer, his time though shorter than hoped for, was filled with happiness. So I keep the memory and we plod on with our latest 2 additions in the knowledge they giving us as much enjoyment as we are giving to them.

Being a confessed Border Collie addict, I am happy to share my addiction .... my sister has spaniels, and she just bought another only to find it really does have a personality disorder! Having said that, it more to do with taking the dog away from its mother far too early and nothing to do with the breed. Whatever dog you choose to get, it will receive love and attention, and you will receive the same.

I wish you well in your quest to fill the space left behind. You'll never forget Ben, so don't delay, go off and take a look round your local rescue centre, you won't regret the visit, no doubt Ben will guide you .....

Best Wishes,

Stewart

• Greenie 1

Hi.

But....

John.

I have four black labradors from working backgrounds and breeding and touch wood up till now the two eldest at nine have had no health issues at all.

I would suggest if you want another springer buy from a working background. In my opinion the trouble with KC registered breeds is that some are bred for there looks and to reach show standards with regard to height etc, this means some genetic faults are sometimes bred in to. A working dog is bred for fitness and to do a job not just to look good.

• Greenie 1

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog John.

On the subject of interbreeding and the genetic medical problems that arise as a result: surely if people stopped buying these types of dogs then there would no market for these breeds and the Kennel Club would be forced to change its breeding standards. Or doesn't it work that way in the world of dog breeding? (It's a subject I know nothing about).

To some extent I believe in individual responsibility and its effect on society.

People rant against Tescos and the big supermarkets, but most of us shop there. Nobody likes The Sun, but somehow it's the most popular newspaper in the country. I'm afraid we vote with our feet, not with our morality.

Edited by blackrose

Thank you for your kind thoughts and advice.

I take on board the advice in regard to going for a working dog rather than a "show" dog, and will steer clear of anything that is "KC" registered. Tony. Think you are right in regard to going for a Heinze variety, as they do not appear to have the genetic problems inflicted by over breeding and a smaller dog would make life easier.

Still love Spaniels though!

John.

Hi John...and Ali...

As you know, we are really sad for you, Ben was gorgeous!

I have to say though, if you are looking for another dawg in time, I would say go to a good charitable rescue home and let them help you chose.

We went to the LAA for Tess,...the best rescue home I ever saw...complete with 'chill out' rooms with classical music playing, and a carer to every 4 dogs. They knew the dogs well, trained them where needed, and loved them as their own. They helped us match a dog to both us and a boat life, and as you know, Tess is the biggest part of our lives now...and has just proved herself a good boaty dawg!

I can't recommend the LAA (Leicester Animal Aid) at Huncote, more highly!

(by the way, Tess is cross staffy (perhaps?) and ridgeback (definately!))

Big hugs to you both x :hug:

Edited by Ally

There is nothing worst, my heart goes out to you

We have a cavalier and they are prone to heart murmers again due to 'breed standard', not such a good boating dog though,

"arry" on the other hand, cross springer/jack russell loves the boat....we got him from NESSR

http://www.nessr.net/smf/index.php

regard Dizzy

Ps just noticed Ben was a welsh springer, but the english variety are mad as well!!

Edited by dizzyknits

Hello John,

my sincere condoleances with the loss of your beloved dog.

It's even harder even if you know that it's the best solution, that you decided of the final moment.

I had to do the same many years ago, and still have nightmares about this terrible decision.

She would have been 17 if she'd lived 1 week longer, but normally, if I had listened to the 4 different veterinarians I went to see, after she'd had a very serious road accident, she would have been dead at the age of 8 months.

I didn't want to miss her then, so I went to a university hospital for vets, where they didn't give me (or her) much chance, but they would give it a try anyway.

2 months later I picked her up from there, without having been able to visit her in the meantime, as visits were not allowed and bad for the dogs (is what they said).

She was full of stainless steel plates and nuts and bolts that should have been removed about 6 months later, but never were.

My dog was one of the 8 puppies of friends of mine who owned the father (100 % lab) and mother (50 % lab and 50 % Belgian Groenendaal-Sheppard) they were big strong dogs.

The weird thing is that my dog grew very quick, and was at 8 months already a good size dog, after the accident she didn't grow anymore at all (while all her brothers and sisters did) so I didn't see the need for this new operation to remove all the stainless steel.

Apart from not growing anymore she was a very healthy dog full of energy and overfull of love, but no aggressivity whatsoever

towards other animals, which was very good for me as a bargee going through locks where the keepers often had chickens, rabits and other animals walking around free, without having to worry.

I didn't want another dog anymore, as I didn't want to risk not beeing as happy with a new dog (which would be most unfair towards the poor animal) as I've been all those years with my last dog.

Of course I know that this is rediculess, but that's what I decided and still sometimes regret.

If you'll going to have a new dog, I think that it's better to have a completely different breed, most of all so you don't compare with your previous dog.

All the best to get over the loss, and success with the choice of a new dog,

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Hi John

Condolences on your loss.

We had to take ours to the vet on the morning we left to launch our boat, we knew he was old (16) but I always said he would make it to the boat, no one else thought he would. The little b**ger proved them right.

Still miss him but no more dogs for us.

I feel your hurt. I have an old English Bull Terrier and it will be his turn soon.

I would bring the ashes on the maiden voyage and scatter them in the water. I have no idea of the legality of this. It was just my instant thought. Then he will be with you where ever you go.

Then I'd go look for a mongrel. Not to replace a friend. That is impossible. But life is a series of friends. And the more friends we are lucky enough to have, the more we learn.

Good luck on the waters!

• Greenie 1

Sorry to hear of your loss. I hate it when one of our animals pops its clogs; there is no worse feeling.

Our current dog is a mongrel that was found living rough. A cross between a Jack Russel and something else, he is a brilliant dog who loves narrowboats. I have never paid more than a tenner for a dog, and have had a few brilliant ones.

Hi John

Condolences on your loss.

We had to take ours to the vet on the morning we left to launch our boat, we knew he was old (16) but I always said he would make it to the boat, no one else thought he would. The little b**ger proved them right.

Still miss him but no more dogs for us.

Wish I had a pound for every time I said, "No more dogs for me." ;)

Sorry to hear of your loss. I hate it when one of our animals pops its clogs; there is no worse feeling.

Our current dog is a mongrel that was found living rough. A cross between a Jack Russel and something else, he is a brilliant dog who loves narrowboats. I have never paid more than a tenner for a dog, and have had a few brilliant ones.

Wish I had a pound for every time I said, "No more dogs for me." ;)

Thank's again all. It feels so empty at the moment, but when the time is right, we WILL have another.

How about a Cocker Spaniel?( Or even a Jack Russell but don't tell Ali.)

John

John - sorry you have lost your best bud.

We too were gutted when we had to have our Golden Retriever PTS at the age of 14 years.

All 14 years were plagued with health problems ranging from dodgy hips and knees (do dogs have knees?), a heart murmur and a stroke.

I fully understand were you come from ref. the interbreeding issue, I can't help but think this was responsible for our GR's problems.

We vowed never ever to get another dog but we did, but a much smaller boat friendly model and we have never looked back.

His 'breed' is not recognised by the KC but to me that was a perfect reason for getting him. Plenty of the same 'breed' are in rescue centres country wide, we didn't get Dennis from one but we would if god forbid anything happened to him.

Well I keep borders, not KC show dogs but proper working dogs, not as inbred. Could I suggest a Cocker Spaniel, again from working stock?, not what is bred to KC standards (we call it Killer Club)

Yep. When the time is right, think a cocker would fit the bill. As you say, a proper working dog, but where do you find an honest breeder who has the dog's interest and welfare at heart above profit?

Welsh springers have such a lovely nature but appear so prone to genetic problems, I tried to buy him from a small breeder, who obviously loved their dog's, but the gene pool is so limited i have subsequently found, that problems are inevitable.

John.

Yep. When the time is right, think a cocker would fit the bill. As you say, a proper working dog, but where do you find an honest breeder who has the dog's interest and welfare at heart above profit?

Welsh springers have such a lovely nature but appear so prone to genetic problems, I tried to buy him from a small breeder, who obviously loved their dog's, but the gene pool is so limited i have subsequently found, that problems are inevitable.

John.

My heartfelt sympathy for your loss John. We were there last September with our old collie Jake. He had a stroke during the night and it was all very upsetting. But at 15 and a rescue I don't think we had anything to reproach ourselves for. We now have another rescue collie Ash who was abandoned tied to a tree with baler twine in the middle of nowhere who is an excellent playmate for our other collie Solomon.

We've never considered buying a Border Collie from a breeder and Ash is now our third rescue collie in 16 years. Solomon came from working farm "surplus to requriements".

If you have reservations about buying from a breeder there are plenty of dogs - spaniels included - who are looking for a new home. Maybe when the time is right its something you may consider. Worth looking into.

My heartfelt sympathy for your loss John. We were there last September with our old collie Jake. He had a stroke during the night and it was all very upsetting. But at 15 and a rescue I don't think we had anything to reproach ourselves for. We now have another rescue collie Ash who was abandoned tied to a tree with baler twine in the middle of nowhere who is an excellent playmate for our other collie Solomon.

We've never considered buying a Border Collie from a breeder and Ash is now our third rescue collie in 16 years. Solomon came from working farm "surplus to requriements".

If you have reservations about buying from a breeder there are plenty of dogs - spaniels included - who are looking for a new home. Maybe when the time is right its something you may consider. Worth looking into.

Already been told off for looking at Jerry Greens! When we are more settled, all options are open. Thank you all for your kind advice and sympathy. This is a great community.

John.

Already been told off for looking at Jerry Greens! When we are more settled, all options are open. Thank you all for your kind advice and sympathy. This is a great community.

John.

OO had'nt realised you were only at North Kelsey!! Yes we went to Jerry Greens when we were looking for another Border Collie. Ended up getting Ash from a small rescue in Rotherham. Don't think we could imagine our lives without a Border Collie - not just yet anyway.

OO had'nt realised you were only at North Kelsey!! Yes we went to Jerry Greens when we were looking for another Border Collie. Ended up getting Ash from a small rescue in Rotherham. Don't think we could imagine our lives without a Border Collie - not just yet anyway.

Taken a load of food and stuff to Jerry Greens yesterday. They do a fantastic job at re-homing and i did not appreciate just how many centres they have. We are too raw at the moment, but cannot imagine life without a dog. Again told off for looking at their residents, but it is too soon and would not be fair to begin our life on the cut with a dog before we are familiar with the logistics. Ben is still around every corner, so not yet!

John

Commiserations for the loss of a family member - be proud that you gave your dog a good life. We haven't had dogs for many years due to us both working full time but have recently acquired a wonderful little corgi/JRT cross. She's got the short legs of a corgi and a JRT head and is absolutely perfect for boating - small enough to carry when needed (or hoik out of the canal when she falls in), small turds to make clearing up easier. She was initially very dubious about the boat steps and jumping on and off but is now the mistress of the boat and loves trotting up and down the roof when we're on the move.

We gave her a home at the age of 6 when her owner couldn't look after her any more - I firmly believe that dog lovers should look towards pooches badly in need of a home rather than paying through the nose for inbred pedigrees.

It'll obviously take a while before you can think of replacing your friend - best of luck when you do.