Wood End Lock, trent and mersey

Featured Posts

But how many of the trains are filled to capacity? If there are two TOCs operating over the same route, they will split the available traffic and mean that neither train is carrying as many passengers as it could.

Considering the Manchester-London Route, there are some of the 3 trains per hour that are full to capacity, and they are getting busier.

The 11-car trains will ease this a little, but slightly less crowded trains will drive increased custom.

As already mentioned above, far less than with HS2 because of the massive extra costs of working with a live railway.

And you'd still be stuck with the old alignment - no useful (= commercial, = more income) improvement in speed.

Of course if you widened existing lines a massive amount of property demolition would be required in all the settlements the present railway passes through - many places expanded considerably as a result of the railway and building right up to the railway boundary is common. Or is uninhabited land where wealthy people live more important than enormous numbers of people's homes that will have to be knocked down?

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone.

I have just joined the forum. Tracey and I, Rick are the landlords of The Swan (Mucky Duck) at Fradley Junction.

We, like many people do not want the High speed link going through (near) Fradley Junction. This may smell of "not in my back yard please" but really, we love the junction. A special place and surrounding area. Do we need this link? Does it have to follow this route? Can the country afford so much to build it, especially when the project runs over budget? There are many questions and points of view.

The route of the link had been planned to cut through Lichfield. The current route is actually a result of a rethink. Well, they can think again.

Fradley Junction has recently fought the plans for an opencast gravel quarry, less than a quarter of a mile from the junction. This is now on hold.

There will be a petition starting soon which can be added to in the pub. If anyone wants to help out with this, they are more than welcome.

The canal is an 18th century transport system.

HSR is a 21st century transport system.

Canals were built by Act of Parliament.pretty well regardless of local opinion.

HSR ... anyone else see the parallel here?

I'm sorry, but I can think of lots of worse things going on, that are really worth objecting to.