Bucket and Chuck it

Spacebar

Featured Posts

I wish somebody would clean up after the Mallards. They crap all over the counter of our boat, the towpath, and in the canal.

Get a dog.

Tone

Actually, I think that the worst part about this would probably be the "Blue" used in the loo, (assuming it's a "normal one"). It really is very unpleasant and harmful stuff.

In that respect an animal crapping in the cut isn't really as bad.

Although I'd not advocate that boaters try and dump their own straight in without the use of a bucket, either!

I do know that some boaters with self-pump-out kits empty their holding tanks whilst boating in tidal rivers such as the Ouse and Trent, and apparently that is still legal.

Tone

Let's hear it for the once almost ubiquitous Elsan Bristol.

You can still buy them.....

Elsan Traditional Toilets Linky

Toilets-banner.jpg

During my Service I was in Canada for a bit and on the range in BATUS we used a 25Lt oil can with the top cut out and a rubber tyre that just happened to fit as a seat. The problem was there were no trees so you had to hide in a hollow. I was sitting reading a copy of playboy and 12 tanks went past me all jeering of course. So the Luxury of a Porta Poty on my boat is a luxury .

I did hear that BW got a prosecution after watching dumping his waste in the Cut.

Bob B

Any idea what the punishment was Bob?

I don't know what the punishment was in that case.

However, for reference, dumping sewage into the canal is a criminal offence under by-law 40, and carries a £100 fine.

Get a dog.

Tone

I have two photos, kicking about somewhere, one of my dog (highly trained hunter/killer lurcher) fast asleep on the mooring, with a mallard drake asleep perched on his bum.

The other is him, again asleep, with a bantam cockerel snoozing, on his head.

Choose your dog carefully, if you want it for poultry deterrence.

Well that's a firm no then.

Although I can understand not wanting the blue stuff or loo roll in the water compared to some of the stuff that goes in I am actually surprised urine and poo is a problem especially if it were liquidated.

Thanks.

I think a lot of people do wee in the canal and of course it's not a problem, but it isn't strictly speaking allowed so you won't see them boasting about it too much. When you see someone emptying a bucket of water over the side, who knows what's in it.

The Elsan Bristol - the most expensive plastic bucket known to man. And a bit too plastic to be truly authentic in an engine room surely? Love the idea of the simplicity of such facilities, but no one so far has successfully assuaged my concerns re., er... splashback. Esp with blue and whatever in it - not nice I wouldn't have thought?

Still thinking about it then?

Certainly not in terms of number two's or anything containing something bad for the environment or wildlife.

I raised the question really in the first place out of interest as IM thinking about what loo to have onboard ect.

I suppose getting rid of the waste is part of that thought process.

Anyway I wont be dumping waste in the water.

I don't know what the punishment was in that case.

However, for reference, dumping sewage into the canal is a criminal offence under by-law 40, and carries a £100 fine.

surely there must be more heinous penalties in the Environment Agency's powers, i think the byelaw's £100 would be least of it.

surely there must be more heinous penalties in the Environment Agency's powers, i think the byelaw's £100 would be least of it.

I rather suspect that there are.

However, I note that the 2010 environmental permitting regulations, which seem to be the mainstay of current EA powers seem to exempt vessels, so I stuck with an offence that I KNOW exists.

I suspect more emptying of effluent goes on than most of us realise. Lack of elsan points and non moving boats will contribute to this. Last year I saw a boat doing a pump out below a lock also a moored boat with all the kit in place. A porta loo makes it even easier

I suspect more emptying of effluent goes on than most of us realise. Lack of elsan points and non moving boats will contribute to this. Last year I saw a boat doing a pump out below a lock also a moored boat with all the kit in place. A porta loo makes it even easier

Yup, I recall one boat moored long term on the towpath and when it eventually moved the canal embankment was liberally coated by a mixture of refuse and excrement. There was a LOT of it and the boater concerned should be hunted down and nailed to a disposal point as a warning to others.

I'm confident we have not been far behind a boat that arranged a self pump out in Blisworth Tunnel.

The reason I'm confident it was a SPO, is that the slick and smell went on far too long to be accountable for by just the emptying of even multiple cassettes. Either that or we were following Noah's Ark, when Noah was having a "muck out" of all his animals......

Remember when most hire boats came only with a genuine "bucket and chuck it", there were no sanitary stations, and part of the issued kit was an "entrenching tool" that was supposed to allow you to dig a hole big enough to lose several gallons of sewage into ???

Yeah! Right!...... :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

I am moored at Kegworth and regularly cruise past Redhill where there are a number of barges and widebeams that are used as liveaboards. On the basis that there are no pump out facilities and strong evidence to suggets that they never move I would be interested to know what happens to their black water.

I am moored at Kegworth and regularly cruise past Redhill where there are a number of barges and widebeams that are used as liveaboards. On the basis that there are no pump out facilities and strong evidence to suggest that they never move, I would be interested to know what happens to their black water.

Remember when most hire boats came only with a genuine "bucket and chuck it", there were no sanitary stations, and part of the issued kit was an "entrenching tool" that was supposed to allow you to dig a hole big enough to lose several gallons of sewage into ???

We took a boat over to Ireland about 10 years ago and while there were occasionally facilities in the better used areas, for the most it was the 'dig a hole' method that we had to use.

Any idea what the punishment was Bob?

Not sure about the punishment, I expect Crucifixion was too good for him. So I surmise he was probably given a luxury holiday at the tax payers expense to reflect on his wrong doings.

I do know that BW were on his case for several weeks and hid in the bushes with a camera to photograph the event.

Bob B

At Ricky

We left Great Linford a couple of weeks ago, it was during the exceptionally nice weather of The Wedding, we passed an old NB, on which the elderly couple were still having regular "Domestic" incidents, they live on board, the boat never moves, the stench coming out of the side hatch was the worst I've ever smelt - far worse than the urinals in Birmingham Market in the late 50's, according to Gary, they never have a pump out and he has never seen them use a Thetford, I dread to think where they dump their logs........

Rob

When I took my first canal trip holiday...in the mid 1960's...you used a hand operated macerator...and it went over the side. It wasn't very nice on some stretches of canal...and when I fell in..(somewhere near Llangollen) ...I was needing anti biotics within a day !!

On the Macclesfield at present. Went past a boat yesterday that had a self pumpout...and they had heaved a drain cover open near the side of the canal..and were using that.

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

On the Macclesfield at present. Went past a boat yesterday that had a self pumpout...and they had heaved a drain cover open near the side of the canal..and were using that.

Makes you wonder how they rinse out the pipe, after use, doesn't it?