Barbeques

jonk

Featured Posts

Living in South Africa I do a lot of 'outdoor cooking' (called by different names in different countries). I use a Weber 'kettle' braai which acts like an oven but gives the meat that smokey taste. On a narrowboat I think that this type of cooker might be impractical because of it's size and wonder what you use? I have seen 'swing-out' cookers that attach to the stern rails of yachts but again they probably take up too much space on a narrowboat. I suppose disposal BBQs used on the shore would be an option, but they tend to be quite small from what I have seen. I prefer a charcoal fire although gas-fired is becoming quite popular.

Anyone have experience in this form of cooking on a narrowboat? Kiki maybe?

:cheers:

Thanks,

John

What you describe sounds a bit like the Cobb barbecue, that I have:

Clicky

Yes - it is similar but the Weber stands on three legs and is bigger all round. The Cobb is a good option but still quite bulky, where do you store it?

John

Yes - it is similar but the Weber stands on three legs and is bigger all round. The Cobb is a good option but still quite bulky, where do you store it?

John

Weber is a bit of a pain to store, I suspect The Cobb is more 'slender' to me.

Weber is a bit of a pain to store, I suspect The Cobb is more 'slender' to me.

Yes it is, but it is a superb bit of equipment! The Cobb is certainly smaller and easier to store but of course has a smaller cooking grill - which is OK for a couple but might be pushing it for a party!

John

Yes it is, but it is a superb bit of equipment! The Cobb is certainly smaller and easier to store but of course has a smaller cooking grill - which is OK for a couple but might be pushing it for a party!

John

OK we have a Weber Smokey Jo around £40.

It works great as a straightforward BBQ and works as an oven too.

Have to admit - I'm intrigued by Carl's Cobb suggestion though. Only two normally on our boat.

ETA - or rather I was till I saw the price of one..

Edited by MJG

Ive always used a suitcase style BBQ when cruising, folds down easily for storage and cheap enough to replace when they finally fall apart.

Charcoal of course for cooking. If I wanted to use Gas id turn the oven on

OK - thanks. I do like the option of a lid but it is probably the most sensible solution.

John

Grilletto. Fire up closed up with top open that acts like a chimney. Open out to cook. Fold up when finished into fireproof bag. Not cheap but brilliant.

ETA Link

BBQ

Edited by GeoffS

After risking life and limb with a cheap pack-away BBQ that came from Homebase, (very unstable!), we have just invested in something like this....

Linky

Haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, but unlike its predecessor it is very stable.

It flat pack to genuinely less than a couple of centimetres thick, so needs really no storage space at all.

Mind you, you still have to store the charcoal!

John

In my Anchor chain locker, at the pointy end.

I'm not too sure where it will go, when we downsize, though.

ETA - or rather I was till I saw the price of one..

Yes that shocked me a bit, too.

I bought mine when Sainsburys were doing a camping promotion, a couple of years ago, for £59.

We bought one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingfisher-Portable-Barrel-BBQ/dp/B001QUSDZC/ref=pd_cp_kh_3

after seeing them on numerous boat tops. Cheap, extremely good for cooking on. They are bulky to store compared with that notebook barbie but you can at least store a bag of instant light charcoal in each side to offset the space issue.

I find the Landmann just about meets my requirements:

link

I expect you would if your boat is Queen Mary :lol:

Actually, I just bought one of there cheapo ones, £11.00 on special offer. I'll bin it at the end of Summer (the week after next)

Grilletto. Fire up closed up with top open that acts like a chimney. Open out to cook. Fold up when finished into fireproof bag. Not cheap but brilliant.

ETA Link

BBQ

That looks good! :cheers:

Thanks for all the replies - food for thought :rolleyes:

John

Edited by jonk

ETA Link

BBQ

Agree, very compact stowed, and very fast to get going in 'chimney' mode, though I'm sure I only paid £50 just a couple of years ago.

Never had the b*lls to take it back on board immediately after putting it in the 'snuff pouch' though. B)

I bought a Cobb BBQ but it was SUCH a pain to clean - too much water used and running the tank down - that I bought one of these (it fit easily on the steps at the back without getting in the way of coming in or out)

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/portable-charcoal-series/charcoal-go-anywhere

which I love. At home I have a Weber smokey mountain smoker and a Weber one touch gold and like the quality. So when I saw several people at our marina using the weber go anywhere I was hooked - and got it half price from a garden centre in the autumn when they were getting rid of summer stock and looking towards Christmas things.

Edited by stickleback

I bought a Cobb BBQ but it was SUCH a pain to clean - too much water used and running the tank down - that I bought one of these (it fit easily on the steps at the back without getting in the way of coming in or out)

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/portable-charcoal-series/charcoal-go-anywhere

which I love. At home I have a Weber smokey mountain smoker and a Weber one touch gold and like the quality. So when I saw several people at our marina using the weber go anywhere I was hooked - and got it half price from a garden centre in the autumn when they were getting rid of summer stock and looking towards Christmas things.

I used to have one of those! It worked well but the cooking surface area was too small for me at that time so I used the large kettle version - but that is too big for a boat unless on the front of a tug style!

Interested to hear that the Cobb is a pain to clean - valuable information!

Thanks. :cheers:

John

I use a weber 'smokey joe' its mounted on a gimbal mount, and attaches to either the transom via clamps, or will mount on standard railings.

The Smokey joe is available in the UK but the gimbal mount version isn't. I managed to get one from a friend still living in Fl USA

Living in South Africa I do a lot of 'outdoor cooking' (called by different names in different countries). I use a Weber 'kettle' braai which acts like an oven but gives the meat that smokey taste. On a narrowboat I think that this type of cooker might be impractical because of it's size and wonder what you use? I have seen 'swing-out' cookers that attach to the stern rails of yachts but again they probably take up too much space on a narrowboat. I suppose disposal BBQs used on the shore would be an option, but they tend to be quite small from what I have seen. I prefer a charcoal fire although gas-fired is becoming quite popular.

Anyone have experience in this form of cooking on a narrowboat? Kiki maybe?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

We use a Weber Smokey Joe, which is small enough to be stowed away under the drive hatch, on top of the swim plates. It is a kettle type and is a really good barbecue.

Rob

Hi John,

We use a Weber Smokey Joe, which is small enough to be stowed away under the drive hatch, on top of the swim plates. It is a kettle type and is a really good barbecue.

Rob

Thanks Rob - I will certainly have a look at those!

John