Beta 38 idle speed

Ryeland

Featured Posts

I'm a bit concerned that my Beta 38 idle speed seems to have dropped a bit, down to about 600rpm. Does anyone know what it should be please? I can't find anything in the engine handbook or online.

Thanks

Richard

I'm a bit concerned that my Beta 38 idle speed seems to have dropped a bit, down to about 600rpm. Does anyone know what it should be please? I can't find anything in the engine handbook or online.

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

My last boat had a Beta 38 from memory I think it should be around 800rpm.

Cheers

Redeye

I do now! Look at the end of the morse cable from the speed control handle. There are two adjustment screws which stop the spindle on the engine going too far each way. Loosen the lock nut and move the idle screw, then tighten the lock nut. The screw is partially covered on mine so a bit awkward.

Richard

I do now! Look at the end of the morse cable from the speed control handle. There are two adjustment screws which stop the spindle on the engine going too far each way. Loosen the lock nut and move the idle screw, then tighten the lock nut. The screw is partially covered on mine so a bit awkward.

Richard

Yes that is what I thought but alas not. Look at the front of the engine just below the domestic alternator on the side of the injector pump, you will see a 10 mm dome head nut. Remove the nut and the washer, the stud revealed has a 3 mm allen hole in the end, then loosen the second 10 mm nut, you increase the idle speed by turning the stud clockwise. It is safer to adjust it with the engine off, give it one full turn and nip up the second nut. Then see what the speed is, when you have it right tighten the second nut and replace the first. Took me ages to find it even when Beta sent me a drawing.

Ken

Yes that is what I thought but alas not. Look at the front of the engine just below the domestic alternator on the side of the injector pump, you will see a 10 mm dome head nut. Remove the nut and the washer, the stud revealed has a 3 mm allen hole in the end, then loosen the second 10 mm nut, you increase the idle speed by turning the stud clockwise. It is safer to adjust it with the engine off, give it one full turn and nip up the second nut. Then see what the speed is, when you have it right tighten the second nut and replace the first. Took me ages to find it even when Beta sent me a drawing.

Ken

I can't see anything that looks like you describe. Any chance of posting the Beta drawing please?

Thanks

Richard

I can't see anything that looks like you describe. Any chance of posting the Beta drawing please?

Thanks

Richard

The drawing they sent doesn't help it is an exploded drawing of the parts. The easiest way to find it is from the latest version of the operators manual. Page 13 has a drawing with the Speed lever / Stop lever / Fuel pump bleed screw all indicated. Look at the printing for the stop lever, just to the left of the "S" and down a little you will see the idle screw adjustment. It looks like three nuts in line with the right-hand one a dome head, in fact it is only two. If you don't have the manual or it is an earlier one go to Beta's website and download it. It would be a lot easier if everything wasn't painted greeen.

Ken

The drawing they sent doesn't help it is an exploded drawing of the parts. The easiest way to find it is from the latest version of the operators manual. Page 13 has a drawing with the Speed lever / Stop lever / Fuel pump bleed screw all indicated. Look at the printing for the stop lever, just to the left of the "S" and down a little you will see the idle screw adjustment. It looks like three nuts in line with the right-hand one a dome head, in fact it is only two. If you don't have the manual or it is an earlier one go to Beta's website and download it. It would be a lot easier if everything wasn't painted greeen.

Ken

Many thanks, from memory my book hasn't got this picture in it. I'm away from the boat now, but I'll have a look when I get back. Armed with your info I should be OK now.

Richard

• 12 years later...