Butty naming competition

Kez

Featured Posts

I believe I've said this before, but anyway...

The lady sitting next to me at work, Sandy, is from the large Indian community in Brum and her favourite saying is "Innit?".

But "Innit" is more Hinglish, than Brummish.

It was a common expression in Bradford, when I was at college, many years before the estuary chavs claimed it as their own.

It's alaways seemed to me that "Shadow" would be a good name for a butty. Or to be a little more humerous "Toad", (towed, geddit).

Was there not once a hotel boat pair called (I think) "Me" and "My Shadow" ?

A modern butty style (but powered) boat near us is actually called "Chip", (matching Catweasel's suggestion) - so "Chip Butty" has always been my assumption about that, but I haven't asked....

But "Innit" is more Hinglish, than Brummish.

It was a common expression in Bradford, when I was at college, many years before the estuary chavs claimed it as their own.

Yes I agree, but "Linnet and Innit" still sounds good. Also, given that 21% of Birmingham's population is Asian, perhaps it would be nice to acknowledge this modern aspect of Birmingham life in a gently humourous way, rather than having yet another stuffy traditional name?

Was there not once a hotel boat pair called (I think) "Me" and "My Shadow" ?

Yes indeed.

The 'butty' was towed using a standard caravan tow hitch which meant it spent most of its time going sideways.

It gouged a groove, the whole length of Lucy, as the idiot steering it, struggled to keep control whilst passing my mooring.

When I came out to have a word the guy denied all knowledge and said the system worked perfectly.

I went down to the Stophouse to have a chat with BW about it and was stood outside, with the patrol officer, as the pair came zig zagging towards us, bouncing off moored boats and coming through the bridgehole scraping both sides of the bridge, at the same time.

The boat is "Ohm", why on earth do you want to rename a vessel which you are "restoring"?? It is criminal to rename a historic boat which has been in service with the BCN/BW almost continiously. Just look at the mess "renamings" by Ernie Thomas and others left behind!

It's alaways seemed to me that "Shadow" would be a good name for a butty. Or to be a little more humerous "Toad", (towed, geddit).

I remember a little punt all fitted out as an artists studio that got towed behind a small live aboard narrowboat on the Wey, early eighties this was. That was named 'Towed Haul'. Seem to recall Toads or Frogs being in part of the external decoration, but then again maybe my imagination creating that.

Seek originality, and it's guaranteed someone's done it before.

I agree with Laurence, best left alohm.

Edited by Derek R.

Seeing as Ohm is an SI unit, how about another of the SI units such as ...

Mole

might work - since it was a hopper and so presumably carried lots of soil, and it was also a dredger so did lots of digging...

Mike

might work - since it was a hopper and so presumably carried lots of soil, and it was also a dredger so did lots of digging...

Mike

While stripping the dirt and rubbish out from behind the knees, we've uncovered:

3 old bullets

the remains of some iron bearers (assumably from dredging equipment)

an 1885 penny (spookily, the earliest date we have her on record for is 1885)

We also found when clearing the mud from her hold that she had become the habitat for mini shrimps :P

A Teabag is thin and full of holes, but the 1885 Penny may not be so spooky. Depending on where you found it, i.e. lodged firmly in place, or simply loose amongst the debris, may mean it has been left as a marker of the year of build. Most GU boats seem to have had Pennies set in the top step with the year facing upwards, and the same year of build. We have an old Pine plate rack that has a 1920 Penny set into a recess in clear view, and take it also to denote the year of manufacture.

Edited by Derek R.

A Teabag is thin and full of holes, but the 1885 Penny may not be so spooky. Depending on where you found it, i.e. lodged firmly in place, or simply loose amongst the debris, may mean it has been left as a marker of the year of build. Most GU boats seem to have had Pennies set in the top step with the year facing upwards, and the same year of build. We have an old Pine plate rack that has a 1920 Penny set into a recess in clear view, and take it also to denote the year of manufacture.

The penny was just in with the junk. Loosly lodged in with the dirt under one of her 'modern' knees. We did briefly think maybe it was a marker of the build date, but then we realised if it was, it would have been under an original one

Longer ago than I ought to be able to remember we used to live at Isleworth on the Thames on a converted Air-Sea Rescue launch which still carried the name ASRL2744. We went busking in France for a year and at one point got picked up by the flics, as one does. Unfortunately when they looked at our passports and other papers they thought we must be deserters from the navy and we spent the night in the subterranean cells of Marseilles. I went off ships referred to by a number after that.

I spent a period of my time at sea working on 'Associated Container Transport' ships. They imaginatively named them; ACT 1, ACT 2, ACT 3 etc

I have always said that if I had a tug built, I would call it 'One Off' - so that I could watch peoples' faces when I say ' I'm just going to tug one off'!

Sorry, off topic but on holiday in Santorini and the spiced rum is getting to me!

The penny was just in with the junk. Loosly lodged in with the dirt under one of her 'modern' knees. We did briefly think maybe it was a marker of the build date, but then we realised if it was, it would have been under an original one

Maybe it was present under the original knee and was discovered when that one was replaced with a 'modern' one, and whoever replaced it was thoughtful enough to return the penny to its original position ?

I've nothing against Mr Ohm, but I don't like the name.

I don't think it suits her for a start, and who's to say which Ohm the name refers to? The the river, the mathmatician or the physist?

All the above are German too, and I'm not sure that a Birmingham boat would carry a German name..

Actually Kerry, there was a wooden Joey boat on the BCN called Ohm. In fact there were a number of wooden Joey's on the BCN all of which had names related to electricity such as Amphere, Voltair, Ohm, Eectric, Watt just some that I recall but there were more. These boats were all used on the supply of coal from the Cannock (Staffordshire) coal fields to the various power stations all round the BCN and other Midlands canals such as at Ocker Hill, Birchills (Walsall), 'Ampton Light (Wolverhampton)I seem to remember these 'electrically' named boats also used to run down the Staffs & Worcester to Stourport I think there is a picture of Electric at Stewpony waiting for crew to take it the rest of it's journey as crews changed boats there swapping loaded for empty. My conclusion being that I think you are right in as much as Ohm would not suit a butty but would indeed be a very good name for a BCN Dayboat and as your boat is not a butty but a very old BCN day boat, which originally very rarely had names, then for me Ohm fits a treat as it displays POWER and HISTORY like everything about the BCN. (Not that I am biased!) But whatever you decide as a name, presented correctly it will be a lovely boat.

Blossom