Butty naming competition

Kez

Featured Posts

Actually Kerry, there was a wooden Joey boat on the BCN called Ohm. In fact there were a number of wooden Joey's on the BCN all of which had names related to electricity such as Amphere, Voltair, Ohm, Eectric, Watt just some that I recall but there were more.

AMPIC - B.C.N. 932 - 07/10/1924

AMPIC II - B.C.N. 2191 - 07/06/1944

OHMIC - B.C.N. 962 - 18/11/1924

ELECTRIC - B.C.N. 875 - 28/06/1924

WATTIC - B.C.N. 928 - 02/10/1924

WATTIC - B.C.N. 2179 - 22/11/1943

WATTIC II - B.C.N. 2193 - 12/06/1944

All for Shropshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire Electric Power Co., Smethwick and Stourport - who operated in excess of 100 day boats before becoming part of British Electric Authority.

At the end of the day its your boat, your naming. I've owned two boats and on both occasions thought of changing the name but decided against, the name suited the boat. I was going to rename Ripple "Magpie" but on finding she was named after a village in Kent and not an insipid wave I kept the name, I beleive her new owners will too. Juno was under consideration for a name change until we found that Juno was a roman goddess who's festival days fell on my Birthday and our wedding anniversary...

So what would suit your butty. Being jokey, Sarnie is already spoken for, and I'm not sure crust really works, and if I'm honest I detest joke names, boats deserve better. For a local theme, pick a local colliery name, or a canal name, or Chamberlain, probably the most famous mayor of Birmingham (but be prepared for the boat to mistake the name of the Mayor for another Chamberlain and capitulate). Canal Names, why not Anglesey, which would get non-canal enthusiasts scratching their heads. To go back to jokes, if she's going to be a butty to Ariel, how about Persil or Television.

Or, go to science, if not Ohm, how about Brunner, or Mond, or Pascal or Pasteur, or Lister, or Joule (who was also a brewer, might appeal)

Or Jockeys, you're into horses. Don't know many names and I'm not sure Prior-Palmer-Green or Piggott really cuts the mustard

Or Kerry, needn't be you, could be the Irish County, which gives you a new menu of names, Monaghan would be a good name for a boat, as would Westmeath or Galway or Donegal.

Or name her after someone you love, love as in cut through you and it shows like letters in a stick of rock. If the boat formerly known as Ohm were mine, she'd be called Valerie

• 1 month later...

*bump*

Butty's naming competition has now ended and she has her sunday name!

As suggested by Sam Noon of Verbena (formally Vienna), we introduce:

Mercia

She'll always be known as Butty to me though :)

*bump*

Butty's naming competition has now ended and she has her sunday name!

As suggested by Sam Noon of Verbena (formally Vienna), we introduce:

Mercia

She'll always be known as Butty to me though :)

That is non fitting for a dredger. This distortion of history just shows that no one really cares about originality, when you have a well documented craft with a fairly solid history you change the name -

Ever thought of working for BW archives? :smiley_offtopic:

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Are name changes, coinciding with changes of ownership, not part of a boats history, though, Laurence, or does a boat's history stop, when it stops working?

Personally I agree with you and, as far as has been possible, have always changed my boats' names back to what they were launched as but it has always been the right of the owner to put his/her mark on the vessel, hence the number of ex-working boats that have carried many names, through their lives.

Are name changes, coinciding with changes of ownership, not part of a boats history, though, Laurence, or does a boat's history stop, when it stops working?

Personally I agree with you and, as far as has been possible, have always changed my boats' names back to what they were launched as but it has always been the right of the owner to put his/her mark on the vessel, hence the number of ex-working boats that have carried many names, through their lives.

Name changes are part of history indeed but I do feel it ios a shame when one has a lot of documentary evidence proving the provenance of a boat that will be restored to look good losing its true identity. This has caused a lot of problems with identifying boats. Several of us still have a "open file" on "Linnet" a boat which has completely lost touch with its original name, I find it odd that when someone is desperate to know what the origins of their boat is then goes on to remove the original name of another boat!

Maybe its a sign of the times to come.

That is non fitting for a dredger. This distortion of history just shows that no one really cares about originality, when you have a well documented craft with a fairly solid history you change the name -

Ever thought of working for BW archives? :smiley_offtopic:

Perhaps it is unfitting for a dredger, but she's not one anymore. Or are you just upset that the name you suggested didn't get picked?

Yes she has a pretty solid history, and in that history she did not have a name. How does me naming the boat something change what she was? She was only ever named 'Ohm' by BW, and it was neither done for very long nor was it done with any particular naming scheme in mind. When I bought the boat, BW didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for the Ohm. They knew her as "that butty boat that's in the corner"

At the end of the day the boat is not going to be a museum piece, she's not going to be a dredger again, and as she is a privatly owned boat I am allowed to call her what I like.

I fail to see how what was going to be a bit of fun has got people up in arms.

Yes, it's your boat, and you can call it what you like. If it ever had a BCN number and no name, I'd call it by the number. But as 'A' name has been found, albeit by BW and I think you can ignore the lack of knowledge of whoever called it "that butty boat that's in the corner", then I'd be inclined to stick to OHM. If it were me, and it truly never had number nor name, I'd call it 'Bert', after our first dog. But it had a name. Not something I would have changed.

But it ain't my boat.

Some may be 'up in arms' as simply not understanding why a given name should be changed at all. In that sense, it flies in the face of historic precedence and perhaps a little myth, in than boat names changing brings bad luck.

You should never whistle whilst on an tug either. :huh:

I can't see what all of the fuss is about.

Historically, boat/ship names are changed all of the time. Most Merchant Vessels have had several name changes. Usually whenever the ship gets a new owner, the first thing they do is change the name.

It's Kez's boat, call it whatever you want.

• Greenie 1