Butty naming competition

Kez

Featured Posts

<snip>

Mr Ohm may well have travelled into Birmingham, I don't deny that in the least. I fail to see how that affects my decision to rename the boat.

<snip>

Not Ohm the man, Ohm the boat! Elkingtons was canal connected, IIRC it stood over the Farmer's Bridge flight

Richard

I was going to suggest Motorohme until I remembered you haven't got one, so My final suggestion for tonight is Hippodrohme 'A venue for horse & chariot racing in Greece or Rohme'(& might shut Richard up as well, since technically it still has it's name in there)

I was going to suggest Motorohme until I remembered you haven't got one, so My final suggestion for tonight is Hippodrohme 'A venue for horse & chariot racing in Greece or Rohme'(& might shut Richard up as well, since technically it still has it's name in there)

Hippodrohme.. hmm, I quite like the ring to that... :D

What's the obsession with having a name? If it does not carry, or has no known BCN number, then simply refer to it as 2380 - the National Historic Ships register number.

It most likely never had a name from new build, but it would have had a number. A name given to a boat by subsequent owners is apt to be changed, so whatever name you choose, it will most likely be changed at some time in the future as it bears no historic reference and is largely irrelevant. A fad, a fancy.

What's the obsession with having a name? If it does not carry, or has no known BCN number, then simply refer to it as 2380 - the National Historic Ships register number.

Longer ago than I ought to be able to remember we used to live at Isleworth on the Thames on a converted Air-Sea Rescue launch which still carried the name ASRL2744. We went busking in France for a year and at one point got picked up by the flics, as one does. Unfortunately when they looked at our passports and other papers they thought we must be deserters from the navy and we spent the night in the subterranean cells of Marseilles. I went off ships referred to by a number after that.

OK then. I propose:

Luddite

Philistine

Iconoclast

Richard

I hate to see a boat losing it's name

What made you suggest Richard alongside Luddite etc? :P

Seeing as Ohm is an SI unit, how about another of the SI units such as ...

Coulomb

Frarad

Kelvin

Candela

Mole

Lux

Hertz

Siemens

Henry

Pascal

Joule

Watt

Newton

Bequerel

Gray

Katal

Sievert

or even

Solidus (not a unit but the name for the "per" bit used between units)

OK then. I propose:

Luddite

Philistine

Iconoclast

Richard

I hate to see a boat losing it's name

Now why would Kez want to name it after you? :P

What made you suggest Richard alongside Luddite etc? :P

Beaten to it by T&D.

Hi Kerry,

Can I place another vote for keeping the name Ohm?

Why?

It's short and slightly quirky

Its part of the history of the boat - the only name it has ever had. I don't know how long ago BW named it but in years to come you'll come across retired BW employees who'll tell you stories about the boat (some even true!) such i remember when Ohm sunk one Christmas bottom of Farmers Bridge - that sort of thing. As soon as you change the name it'll lose its identity.

The last major traffics on the BCN were to the power stations and there was a fleet of boats owned by the British Electric Authority with electric names - they certainly had an Ampere

....and you're going to live in it so "ohm" is just perfect.

But failing that (as I've suggested elsewhere) Prospero - a character in The Tempect who Ariel "was bound to serve."

But at the end of the day its your boat - a future owner could well change it back to Ohm anyway.

Paul

PS and of course your boat has never been a butty nor will it be if its going to be horsedrawn.

Edited by Paul H

Hi Kerry,

Can I place another vote for keeping the name Ohm?

Why?

It's short and slightly quirky

Its part of the history of the boat - the only name it has ever had. I don't know how long ago BW named it but in years to come you'll come across retired BW employees who'll tell you stories about the boat (some even true!) such i remember when Ohm sunk one Christmas bottom of Farmers Bridge - that sort of thing. As soon as you change the name it'll lose its identity.

The last major traffics on the BCN were to the power stations and there was a fleet of boats owned by the British Electric Authority with electric names - they certainly had an Ampere

....and you're going to live in it so "ohm" is just perfect.

But failing that (as I've suggested elsewhere) Prospero - a character in The Tempect who Ariel "was bound to serve."

But at the end of the day its your boat - a future owner could well change it back to Ohm anyway.

Paul

PS and of course your boat has never been a butty nor will it be if its going to be horsedrawn.

The name is being changed for 2 main reasons:

1)I really don't like it

2)There is s hovering of people in BW who aren't sure that this is OHM

There wont be any future owners until I'm dead, and then my kids will be under strict instructions lest I haunt them :lol:. Butty, like Linnet, has been bought as a family heirloom, for want of a better term. :rolleyes:

And she's going to be both butty and horse boat, because there's not a cat in hells chance that I'll be able to work her behind Sunday all the time. When that occurs, I've got a selection of possible motors for her to run behind, not least of all being Linnet.

So far no one has told me any stories of Butty, what's this about her being sunk at Farmers bridge? When was that?

Quick edit to add: any photos?

Edited by Kez

The best argument for 'Ohm" in my opinion is the funky bit of Greek symbology

Ω

And I supposed "Omega" is also an option.

It is snazzy, and is already planned into her paint work. No cabin yet, but the livery is alredy worked out :lol: