Butty naming competition

Kez

Featured Posts

Having run out of ideas myself, it's time to cast a wider net for Butty's sunday name :P

You can obviously suggest the names here, to me personally or to Emerald at the National Historic Ships Register as part of the competition.

Copied straight from what went out on the NHSR email:

Dear friends

We have been asked by the owner of narrowboat Ohm, cert 2380, to help them run a competition to name the boat asking other vessel owners to suggest what she might be called. Affectionately known as 'Butty', she is currently undergoing restoration in the Midlands and is destined to be returned to full horse (shetland pony) drawn condition.

Built c 1860, records show that Ohm was owned by the Birmingham Canal Navigation Company until 1948 and a few years later, she was shortened, presumably to make her more suited to being towed by a motor boat or tug. You can read about her in full here: http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/ships_register.php?action=ship&id=2380

There are no restrictions at all in the names people suggest for Ohm (other than decency!) and if your idea is successful, you will have the pleasure in knowing the vessel has taken the name you've suggested!

If you have any ideas, please send them to me on this email address. Entries will be open from 1 May - 30 June and the competition will be judged by the vessel owner.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards

Emerald

Emerald.Laing@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

Monday ...... arrives shortly after Sunday.

If I ever owned a butty without a name, I would choose the name "Switzerland" I have personal reasons for the suggestion but there is a tradition of naming boats after countries however, as far as know, Switzerland has never been used. I also feel that long names always look better on the tapered panel, than short ones.

Edited by David Schweizer

'cause it's a rubbish BW name. She was only called it because they were going through the scrabble dictionary of 3 letter words

Costs a lot less to signwrite a short name, but if they want a long one, how about "The boat that was called Ohm"?

A shorter one could be "Ohm sweet ohm", or even "Ohmless".

'cause it's a rubbish BW name. She was only called it because they were going through the scrabble dictionary of 3 letter words

What have you got against Georg Ohm?

Ohm3.gif

Georg Simon Ohm (17 March 1789 – 6 July 1854) was a German physicist. As a high school teacher, Ohm began his research with the recently invented electrochemical cell, invented by Italian Count Alessandro Volta. Using equipment of his own creation, Ohm determined that there is a direct proportionality between the potential difference (voltage) applied across a conductor and the resultant electric current. This relationship is now known as Ohm's law.

Wikipedia

At least it has some historic relevance, and I think it's a good name for a boat from an industrial area like the BCN

Otherwise you might as well call it Kingfisher, or Fluffy, or Moon-Unit

Richard

Edited by RLWP

What have you got against Georg Ohm?

Ohm3.gif

Wikipedia

At least it has some historic relevance, and I think it's a good name for a boat from an industrial area like the BCN

Otherwise you might as well call it Kingfisher, or Fluffy, or Moon-Unit

Richard

I've nothing against Mr Ohm, but I don't like the name.

I don't think it suits her for a start, and who's to say which Ohm the name refers to? The the river, the mathmatician or the physist?

All the above are German too, and I'm not sure that a Birmingham boat would carry a German name..

I don't think it suits her for a start, and who's to say which Ohm the name refers to? The the river, the mathmatician or the physist?

All the above are German too, and I'm not sure that a Birmingham boat would carry a German name..

if its a birmingham boat how about bab :P

Don't be silly. It'll be Ohm the physicist. Are there not other boats named after scientists?

Birmingham has a long history of taking scientific discoveries and turning them into businesses. Ohm may have travelled in and out of Elkington's many times where Ohm's law would be behind the plating processes they used

Richard

Don't be silly. It'll be Ohm the physicist. Are there not other boats named after scientists?

Birmingham has a long history of taking scientific discoveries and turning them into businesses. Ohm may have travelled in and out of Elkington's many times where Ohm's law would be behind the plating processes they used

Richard

The boat wasn't named for anyone. BW went into a phase of naming all their un-named hopper boats with 3 letter names, Ohm happends to be a word and a name with 3 letters and was so used.

Mr Ohm may well have travelled into Birmingham, I don't deny that in the least. I fail to see how that affects my decision to rename the boat.

She was given the name by BW when she was an uncared-for, open hopper boat. She is now much loved and undergoing paitent repair and restoration to turn her into a cabined butty/horse boat, and my home.

She has a new job, and is getting a new name.

Monday ...... arrives shortly after Sunday.

Classy :lol:

It's on the possible list ;)