Focus DIY has gone bankrupt. Big discounts!

larrysanders

Featured Posts

Our local focus in guisborough killed a very helpiful local diy store called Peacocks. The staff there lost their jobs too.

The staff in the replacement store (if you could find one) were surly unhelpful and the writing was on the wall for a while.

Frankly I am not surprised at all focus has gone belly up.

Edited by MJG

Just been into our local Focus and they're selling off stock cheap...

Well I went into our local Focus store yesterday, expecting it to have "SALE" posters up and be almost devoid of stock. How wrong could I be, just one small A4 sheet announcing that they had gone into liquidation with a store full of goods.

Apart from a few paltry offers on things like Paint, Garden Furniture and Kitchens etc. (which were on offer most of the time anyway), most of their stock at the same inflated prices as before.

No wonder they have gone bust if they thought they could get away with prices up to 80% more for the same item as in Wilkinsons.

I agree it is very sad for the Staff, who were always (and are still being) very friendly and helpful.

Edited by David Schweizer

"No wonder they have gone bust if they thought they could get away with prices up to 80% more for the same item as in Wilkinsons."

Selling at high margins is not a definitive route to business failure. Harrods do it very well!

and all the staff will lose their jobs !!!

The administrators seem quite confident in being able to sell off the business.

Following the sale of a number of stores to B&Q........

"The joint administrators will continue to trade all of the group's stores and will seek further offers for a going concern sale of the group's business and assets."

Flogging of the stock (assets) at knockdown prices will not help, so I doubt if there will be many 'bargains' to be had.

Hopefully some of the staff will keep their jobs

"No wonder they have gone bust if they thought they could get away with prices up to 80% more for the same item as in Wilkinsons."

Selling at high margins is not a definitive route to business failure. Harrods do it very well!

I don't think many people would fly across the world just to go to focus though!

I think they have been 'in administration' for some time. I always found them to be a disappointment,they would have some, but not all, of what I needed in stock on every visit. Our local branch closed some while ago, and the nearest DIY shop is now the other side of town. 'Serenity' used to be moored at Napton, and on every visit to the branch in Daventry it was empty of customers, even on a Bank Holiday, and it was the only DIY shop for miles around!

'Serenity' used to be moored at Napton, and on every visit to the branch in Daventry it was empty of customers, even on a Bank Holiday, and it was the only DIY shop for miles around!

It's a bit late now but Wickes, in Rugby, is only a couple of miles further.

Homebase is on the same estate, too, but, like Focus, it's just a furniture shop that sells a few tools and pots of paint.

Certainly nothing has been reduced in my local store other than the number of staff!! I overheard one interesting "discussion", though - apparently Focus's contracted carriers are holding hostage all goods for delivery as they haven't been paid. The customer who was in this debate was told to take it up with the administrator even though Focus had been paid for both the goods and the delivery. It would therefore seem unwise to buy anything from them now that you can't take away yourself on the spot.

It would therefore seem unwise to buy anything from them now that you can't take away yourself on the spot.

You couldn't. The administrators stated last week that no advance orders for goods would be accepted, no goods that have been ordered but not paid for would be supplied, but advance orders already paid for would be honoured.

Tony

hi,

As others have written I am not surprised that Focus have problems, they charged too much (it did help having a 10% discount card).

On the bright side it gives some of the smaller ironmongers a chance.

Here in Chesham we have Pearces who have been trading for years and carry the most amazing range of hardware at reasonable prices.

Boaters on the GGU in the Berko area can use VAH in Gossoms End, Berko, who carry an awe inspiring product range - if they haven't got it they will get it PDQ.

No connection, just a happy customer of both.

LEO.

You couldn't. The administrators stated last week that no advance orders for goods would be accepted, no goods that have been ordered but not paid for would be supplied, but advance orders already paid for would be honoured.

Tony

Well, you can still buy off the shelf bathroom suites, timber etc etc. What I meant was, don't buy anything that won't fit in your car even if it's in stock in the shop. It's not the administrator stopping paid-for goods being delivered, it's the carrier contracted to deliver them as they haven't been paid.

Edited by DaveG

Well, you can still buy off the shelf bathroom suites, timber etc etc. What I meant was, don't buy anything that won't fit in your car even if it's in stock in the shop. It's not the administrator stopping paid-for goods being delivered, it's the carrier contracted to deliver them as they haven't been paid.

Gotcha :)

I think they have been 'in administration' for some time. I always found them to be a disappointment,they would have some, but not all, of what I needed in stock on every visit. Our local branch closed some while ago, and the nearest DIY shop is now the other side of town. 'Serenity' used to be moored at Napton, and on every visit to the branch in Daventry it was empty of customers, even on a Bank Holiday, and it was the only DIY shop for miles around!

Mentioning DIY near Napton- theres a v good traditional Hardware shop in Southam

There prices are better than B&Q here especially with my 10% card

The administrators seem quite confident in being able to sell off the business.

Following the sale of a number of stores to B&Q........

"The joint administrators will continue to trade all of the group's stores and will seek further offers for a going concern sale of the group's business and assets."

Flogging of the stock (assets) at knockdown prices will not help, so I doubt if there will be many 'bargains' to be had.

Hopefully some of the staff will keep their jobs

So do I keep the Focus 10% privilege card or dump it?