Does anyone have a date for Marbury opening?

matt

Featured Posts

It looks like 10th or 17th from the Waterscape site.

http://www.waterscape.com/boating/stoppage...ges_2005-06.pdf

When open it should clear the backlog of so called continuous cruisers they have been backed up all the way from outside the marinas at Anderton to the boat lift, most dont seem to have moved all winter, when they thin out back to the bridge at Marston which seems popular with them there may be a bit of room created for the recreational boat users

Charles

When open it should clear the backlog of so called continuous cruisers they have been backed up all the way from outside the marinas at Anderton to the boat lift, most dont seem to have moved all winter, when they thin out back to the bridge at Marston which seems popular with them there may be a bit of room created for the recreational boat users

Charles

Lol, I'm one of them. BW have made everyone (including myself) pay for winter mooring there.

I don't begrudge it, there are good facilities at Anderton, I was heading to Macc last year, but I missed the Marbury closure by a day.

Lol, I'm one of them. BW have made everyone (including myself) pay for winter mooring there.

I don't begrudge it, there are good facilities at Anderton, I was heading to Macc last year, but I missed the Marbury closure by a day.

Yes but do you have old worn out batteries on your roof you are too attached to to dispose of, various types of sacks of coal in differing coloured sacks, a rusty bicycle, an old hose pipe, odd parts of trees, various other sacks and boxes, a trolley with a broken wheel, mossy and disintegrating fenders, blue polypropolyne mooring rope. And you own a dog?

Yes but do you have old worn out batteries on your roof you are too attached to to dispose of, various types of sacks of coal in differing coloured sacks, a rusty bicycle, an old hose pipe, odd parts of trees, various other sacks and boxes, a trolley with a broken wheel, mossy and disintegrating fenders, blue polypropolyne mooring rope. And you own a dog?

No offence, but but i really dont agree with your post.

- It wouldnt do for us all to be the same, and often these people are far nicer than the stuck-up idoits in the brand new £120,000 boat thats never left the marina because there to scared to get it dirty.

Who really cares if there sacks of coal match, they dont have the latest, brand new hose/bike/batterys, or if they happened to be using polyprop rope rather then polyester?

- And certainly theres nothing wrong with have a god. For gots sake grow up!

Daniel

Yes but do you have old batteries on your roof / coal in differing coloured sacks, etc. And you own a dog?

Sorry Daniel, I thought it was quite funny,

and yes, I agree that those colourful characters can be more interesting than idiots with posh boats that never move,

but I don't think Charles123 was actually being serious :wacko:

Sorry Daniel, I thought it was quite funny,

and yes, I agree that those colourful characters can be more interesting than idiots with posh boats that never move,

but I don't think Charles123 was actually being serious :wacko:

Why is somebody with a posh boat that never moves an "idiot?" And why is a "posh" boat that never moves inferior to a hulk that does. If anything the "posh" boat owner has done more for the canals than the other. He's helped to keep a good builder in business, maintains his boat well so keeps the yards in business, uses a marina so helps to keep them in business, pays his licence. So what if he likes to keep the boat looking good?

Seems to me the reverse snobbery here is worse than the original, which was meant to be jokey anyway.

There is nothing admirable about not having any money, nor is there anything despicable about having a few bob. Where is all the boater comradeship that has been mentioned on this board before?

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Ok, may my posted didnt come out quite as intended. If charles post we ment to be "joke" then fine, I was just saying, i dont agree with him or his joke.

Steve, im not saying the people with posh boats, or those that do not move are inferia and/or worst then thos in less smart boats the CC. Certainly not all of them.

- And at the same time im not saying that every CC'er in these less smartly presented boats is a nice fellow.

However, im just say that maybe we ort not to "judge a book by its cover" i dont think anyone should pass comment on the type of person just on the aprearent of the boat!

Daniel

Ok, may my posted didnt come out quite as intended. If charles post we ment to be "joke" then fine, I was just saying, i dont agree with him or his joke.

Steve, im not saying the people with posh boats, or those that do not move are inferia and/or worst then thos in less smart boats the CC. Certainly not all of them.

- And at the same time im not saying that every CC'er in these less smartly presented boats is a nice fellow.

However, im just say that maybe we ort not to "judge a book by its cover" i dont think anyone should pass comment on the type of person just on the aprearent of the boat!

Daniel

I understand Daniel. The funny thing is that I've had my arse kicked before on here for using stereotypes. The fact is though that stereotypes do exist in all walks of life and often it is humorous as Charles was suggesting. Typical dog-on-a-string types do exist. Typical arrogant arseholes on expensive rarely moved boats do exist. The danger of course is in assuming automatically that everyone who appears superficially to be a stereotype really is so. In practice they will often be quite different.

For a stereotype to exist, it is only necessary that sufficient number fit the picture and that proportion may be quite small. It probably requires only perhaps 25% of a group to exhibit what are seen as typical characteristics for the whole group to be so painted in the eyes of others.

Have fun

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

It was meant as a bit of fun, we all need that and I did not intend to cause offence to anyone, if I have then apologies.

The whole topic belongs under a separate thread anyway as there are many points of view as has been pointed out, it could be quite humorous

Charles

Giggling here....I just love these threads :wacko:

Should I be worried? We are leaving Anderton to Ellesmere Port via Macc/Shroppie on Friday 11th March. Otherwise its Wigan for me I think. :D

Chrissie

Re: Marbury

I've just spoken to BW - They reckon the stoppage at Marbury will be clear for 11 March - only stoppage still in force on T&M will be at lock 27 - Star Lock.

Chrissie

Edited by Christine

Great, fantastic, after months of patient waiting Marbury is opened, Bosley is opened, Marple is opened, the Cheshire ring is at last do-able thinks I. Then wham, the great British Waterways in their infinate wisdom announce yet another closure, a completely new one just to throw a spanner in the works. :lol:

"Ashton Canal

13 - 17 Mar 2006 Stoppage: Kershaw Bridge

Both the navigation and towpath will be closed at Kershaw Bridge while United Utilities perform essential maintenance work. The date of this stoppage has been brought forward by seven days. (Enquiries: 01925 847700)

20 - 25 Mar 2006 Stoppage: Crabtree Lane (Lock 9)

Both the navigation and bridge will be closed at Crabtree Lane (Lock 9) while United Utilities perform essential maintenance work. Please note, this stoppage has been put back by seven days. (Enquiries: 01925 847700)"

I realise that it is not actually BW that is causing the closure but surely United Uselessilities have the might and the man power to tackle both locations and complete the job in half the time and just one stoppage, or maybe even arranged to do the so-called essential maintainence work during the previous three month stoppage. In any other industry BW would be called on to compensate users for the lack of services, not charge for a twelve month license for six months service, it amazes me that we have any canal related businesses still trading despite BW's best efforts to ruin them!

Yours..................................Angry of Ashton B)B)

A lot more room at Anderton now, nice to see the canal side/towpath again, and a little more room for the recreational boaters who come to see the lift. Many of the permanent community (sorry continuous cruisers) have returned to their old haunts at Marston